-are we mad?

Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Angel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud of
Cool -are we mad?

We are new to the forum. We have just passed skills assessment and i'm having the wobbles already! Theres me oh and 2 kids(age 3 and 8months). we build our dream home in a beautiful area, oh has a great job excellent salary 5 minutes from home with 10 weeks holiday a year and we are fairly content. I wonder if we are mad for giving it all up for the unknown moving to oz. i really dont want to look back and "think we had it all". Reasons for going are better life for kids and a bit of an adventure. Anyone else in the same boat? Thanks in advance, you guys seem a really friendly bunch.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

helenwilson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: -are we mad?

I've got a great idea. I can have your life and you can move to Australia!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and welcome.
If you look at this thread (and there are many others) you will see you are not alone

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476101

We are still at the skills assessment stage and I have just had a big wobble but back on track now.
Good luck

Sammy
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Angel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helenwilson
I've got a great idea. I can have your life and you can move to Australia!
I new it i am mad! helenwilson what stage are u at? I suppose thats the thing, lifes too comfy i'm bored and curious to what else is out there.
hi sammy, whereare you hoping to go?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

pjb_1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in the same boat. I have a great job in live in a beautiful village near Bath but you only get one crack at the whip so to speak. We are releasing equity from our home in the UK and renting it out to put a deposit on a new build in Brisbane. We see it as an adventure and an investment opportunity and the chance to get Oz passports. We are going on a 136 skilled ind res visa. Once complete we can then pick and choose where we want to be. Plus, we too also have 2 small children, but just think, when there 18 and want to leave home you have opened up the world to them as they too can choose to study in Oz or the UK. It's a life investment! I wish my parents had done the same.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:19 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

I think everyone feels this from time to time I know I did as soon as I'd sent my TRA off but it passed. in the end only you and your family can decide if it's the right move people have advised in the past to do a pro's and con's list to help weigh it up.
Whatever you do I hope it's right for you and best of luck
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pjb_1973
We are in the same boat. I have a great job in live in a beautiful village near Bath but you only get one crack at the whip so to speak. We are releasing equity from our home in the UK and renting it out to put a deposit on a new build in Brisbane. We see it as an adventure and an investment opportunity and the chance to get Oz passports. We are going on a 136 skilled ind res visa. Once complete we can then pick and choose where we want to be. Plus, we too also have 2 small children, but just think, when there 18 and want to leave home you have opened up the world to them as they too can choose to study in Oz or the UK. It's a life investment! I wish my parents had done the same.
your right pjb, wish my parents had done the same which is why its so scary,i've lived in the same small town all my life, known the same people all my life, definately want more for my kids. Theres a big wide world waiting to be explored - here I come! we're heading to perth.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 11:45 pm
Mrs Angry!

debbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Angel77
We are new to the forum. We have just passed skills assessment and i'm having the wobbles already! Theres me oh and 2 kids(age 3 and 8months). we build our dream home in a beautiful area, oh has a great job excellent salary 5 minutes from home with 10 weeks holiday a year and we are fairly content. I wonder if we are mad for giving it all up for the unknown moving to oz. i really dont want to look back and "think we had it all". Reasons for going are better life for kids and a bit of an adventure. Anyone else in the same boat? Thanks in advance, you guys seem a really friendly bunch.
Hi there

As others have said...I wish my parents had done it! My Dad has always regretted not moving abroad.

"I'd rather have regrets at what I have done, than regretted not doing them!"

Hope that makes sense!
Best of luck...Debs
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:14 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

We are new to the forum. We have just passed skills assessment and i'm having the wobbles already! Theres me oh and 2 kids(age 3 and 8months). we build our dream home in a beautiful area, oh has a great job excellent salary 5 minutes from home with 10 weeks holiday a year and we are fairly content. .
then why would you want to leave it?

it might be better searching for what your missing at home rather than move to the other side of the world.

it takes at least two years for most to get back on their feet after moving

good luck in what you decide
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:36 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

your right pjb, wish my parents had done the same which is why its so scary,i've lived in the same small town all my life, known the same people all my life, definately want more for my kids. Theres a big wide world waiting to be explored - here I come! we're heading to perth.
My parents did do the same ... they were £10 poms. It didn't make any difference though as you don't know what the future holds, my mom became very homesick after six years and they returned. Later they regretted this and by then it was to late.

Whatever your life choices are don't make them because you are "bored" and "to comfy" as you will have regrets. It is a huge change that you are embarking on and if you have close family, friends and a great lifestyle you really need to think hard. Make sure you have a back up plan if things dont work out. Would you have enough money etc to get back the life you once had if your new one isnt what you expected ??

There have been many posts from people who are depressed and trapped due to wanting "a change" and it not living up to their expectations, but are unable to return due to circumstances beyond their control a big one being afordability.

I lived in a beautiful village, had my horse, good friends, family, income etc and knew that I was ok to give it all up to have an adventure. This was only due to one factor and that was the death of my mom. I knew that , had she still been alive, I could not have gone because I would have missed her to much as we were very close and knew this would have had a huge impact on us settling in fact I know I would not have settled at all.

My advice is ... Its all about being true to yourself and to your family and vice versa. The wobbles are just the beginning of a major rollercoaster ride but being true to your feelings will stand you in good stead as we all know deep down if its what we truly want and your not going along with someone elses dream. Do loads of research !!!.

Saying all that though ... We have been in Perth for about 18 months now and love it. We came out without ever being to Australia before as we wanted a full on adventure and I wanted to use what we would have spent on a reccie to go back with if we hated it . Ive had my ups and downs with a bit of homesickness but that has been about people (mainly my Dad) and not places and that has been solved as he will be coming out on his third visit at christmas.

At the moment and for the foreseeable future Perth is our home. The kids are really happy, we have made some really good friends, have a lovely home with the most fantastic beach / national park etc on our doorstep. Money is tighter than it used to be but the best things in life are free as they say and when you have the sunshine you can enjoy that freedom all the more.

Good luck with your adventures everyone
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a close family and a good network of friends in the UK? If so, why would you want to leave them? With your OH's excellent salary and 10 weeks holiday, you can have more than 'a bit of an adventure' every year. You can visit Australia as much as you like on your holidays once you have finished touring all the lovely historical places in Europe. If you're bored of your little town/village, by all means go travel and take the kids too. You don't have to move away permanently to experience the world.

Leaving behind such a good life for something fairly unknown is quite mad IMHO.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Completely, stark-raving, bonkers, mad.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:29 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Completely, stark-raving, bonkers, mad.
having a bad day mate
Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:42 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Don't do it, it's an Ambush

Good luck whatever you decide
Old Aug 31st 2007, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
having a bad day mate
Not really - I'm in one of those "Australia is great" phases at the minute - but we all know that migration isn't easy and there is a significant chance of return. To give up what seems like a pretty great life seems crazy to me.
(Remind me of the Jeremy Clarkson article at the weekend!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.