Are we mad?

Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

pete 10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are we mad?

Have decided to emigrate to Australia before even visiting.At present we are collecting info for the TRA have already paid the fees.We will go and visit sometime this year,but have done vast amounts of research already and decided to go for it.
Hope we are doing the right thing as we have two young children and want them to be happy after all thats what its all about when you are a parent.Anyone doing the same?or having the same thoughts:scared:
Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:53 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are we mad?

Originally posted by pete 10
Have decided to emigrate to Australia before even visiting.At present we are collecting info for the TRA have already paid the fees.We will go and visit sometime this year,but have done vast amounts of research already and decided to go for it.
Hope we are doing the right thing as we have two young children and want them to be happy after all thats what its all about when you are a parent.Anyone doing the same?or having the same thoughts:scared:
Use your trip for research and not for a holiday. Do some job hunting and try and stay in areas you consider you might live in. You have nothing to lose but money by applying. You still have a %50 chance of staying it in Australia long term.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

We filed our application for our Permanent Residency visa last September. We have not yet had the opportunity to visit Australia.

When we go for our visit to validate our visa it will be our first time in Oz. I know that many people will find that very odd. I suppose when I think about it - I do too!

However, we hope that we will be able to view (Adelaide)objectively with a view to our long term future there. I imagine it will be tricky keeping an open mind so as not to confuse 'what a fantastic holiday' feeling with 'we could be really happy and settled here'.

One thing we do know is that if we do take the leap we will do so wholeheartedly and will severe our financial ties with the UK so as not to give ourselves an 'easy' route out.

I am not sure if any other people on here have jumped blindfolded as we are - but would be interested to hear their opinions....
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Olive101
I am not sure if any other people on here have jumped blindfolded as we are - but would be interested to hear their opinions....
Sorry I came to OZ for a holiday although did visit adelaide (potential home) and melbourne and sydney to get a taste of different cities to guage adelaide by.

You won't be disappointed although if I was you I'd look at potential employers as I haven't had a job vaguely telated to the one in England as Adelaide is very small and not media focussed
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Just got our visas, never been to Oz.

Validating next month, moving down under for good in about 4 years when wife becomes Nurse.

Go for it!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

pete 10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default are we mad?

Thanks for that,at least its nice to know that we are not the only ones,probably end up doing the same when we go out to get our visas validated.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:17 am
i'm digitalicious

asciidental is an unknown quantity at this point

Nutters!!

Don't move to Darwin. Or Joondalup.

Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:25 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

i can see your point about jumping in at the deep end and having to make it work rather than taking the easy option out and just returning.

i've been once and am going again in a couple of weeks. i guess some people thrive on different challenges. i'm sure if its what you want to do then you will not fail in achieving it. it may be easier if you have been before but i certainly dont believe it would be impossible to make a new life for yourself.