Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

(Medical) Is it possible ?????

(Medical) Is it possible ?????

Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

menna is an unknown quantity at this point
Question (Medical) Is it possible ?????

Sent off main application in June, we are going for a Skilled Independant visa as I am a Primary School Teacher. We were wondering if it would be worth having our medicals done now and sending them off before they are requested? Would this speed things up a bit or would they be requesting us to go for our medicals soon anyway? Can medicals be sent off independantly of main application?

Thanks

Mark and Joanne.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:55 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

menna,
we are having the same dilema. we also applied in june and are (not so) patiently awaiting our request for medicals and police checks.

in the end, and based on anecdotal evidence that the processing is speeding up now we are past xmas and quotas have to be met, i have booked ours for april.

i figure that by then we should have had a request through, and if not i will probably go ahead anyway as it can't take much longer. can it? oh god, please tell me it can't!

on a slightly more serious note, we are having ours done in bournemouth and there is a 2 month waiting time to get in for the medicals down here, so it makes sense to get them booked in now!

as to whether it will speed things up submitting them before requested, it might, is my opinion, but i am sure others will be more knowledgeable than me on this one.

the wait is a killer isn't it?

flying dutchman
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: (Medical) Is it possible ?????

Hi Mark and Joanne,

There have been previous posters who have commented on how they have submitted meds before they've been requested for them - I don't think anyone knows for sure whether this affects the processing time of the application.

The things to remember are:-
1. DIMIA provide an expected processing time for applications
2. This estimate is just that, an 'estimate' - it may take longer, it may take less time
3. You can take a look at how applications are being processed on the timeline website (do a search for the link)

Moreover (although you may already be aware)...

4. Once your application is approved you have to validate your visa no later than 12 months after whichever is the dated the earlier, your medicals or your police checks. (The posts on this forum asking something along the lines of, "Will DIMIA extend the deadline for validation?", highlight the implications of this)

For what it's worth, I waited until requested and got my visa 12 months after initial submission.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

menna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medicals

Thanks for the replys,Think we may phone and book our medicals as we have read there is sometimes a two month waiting list for these.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:25 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Again worth reminding people that your medicals may only be valid for 6 months if you need to give a health undertaking.
There have also been several posts by people who will probably have to do the mecicals again if things take longer than expected.
Why not wait until requested?

G