Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We Have Moved Back To The Uk

We Have Moved Back To The Uk

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 8:03 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by hamiltonnz
Anyone from the UK or NZ and living in Oz or NZ get a twinge of 'wish we were going home too" after reading the story of sue5665's experience.
Nope.

No offense intended but I just don't understand this "don't want to die here" comment. I guess there are two way to read this,

a) "Aus is a dangerous place to live - it'll kill you". Do statistics back this up ?. I would have assumed the warmer climate would improve lifespan.

b) "I would like to be 'home' when I die" - me ?, well when it happens I'll be dead and I'll be none the wiser.

Oooh, 100 posts. Now I can build me a fence.

Last edited by welshpom; Sep 3rd 2003 at 8:15 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 8:38 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshpom
Nope.

No offense intended but I just don't understand this "don't want to die here" comment. I guess there are two way to read this,

a) "Aus is a dangerous place to live - it'll kill you". Do statistics back this up ?. I would have assumed the warmer climate would improve lifespan.

b) "I would like to be 'home' when I die" - me ?, well when it happens I'll be dead and I'll be none the wiser.

Oooh, 100 posts. Now I can build me a fence.
I think those fresh sth coast breezes are getting to you. MM
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 9:30 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hamiltonnz
Anyone from the UK or NZ and living in Oz or NZ get a twinge of 'wish we were going home too" after reading the story of sue5665's experience.
Nope - not for me either. Car accidents etc don't give secret 'signals' - get real. Wanting to go home surely comes from much more significant feelings.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 10:07 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I have always heard of the so-called "yo-yo" effect. This is where people migrate to a new country, but then really miss something about the Uk. They then return (either on holiday or permanently), and then its strikes them that actually the UK does not quite live up to their memories, and they now miss the new country.

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" is obviously an important factor, and that is why, if you can afford it, it is worth always trying out the other side of the fence, but keeping your return options open.

Wonder how common this really is? Think I saw some stats on this site that mentioned about 1/3 of people going to Oz eventually repatriated to the UK, but then a significant number yo-yoed back down under.

Anyone done this?? What about for NZ?
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 11:02 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by southerner
I have always heard of the so-called "yo-yo" effect. This is where people migrate to a new country, but then really miss something about the Uk. They then return (either on holiday or permanently), and then its strikes them that actually the UK does not quite live up to their memories, and they now miss the new country.

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" is obviously an important factor, and that is why, if you can afford it, it is worth always trying out the other side of the fence, but keeping your return options open.

Wonder how common this really is? Think I saw some stats on this site that mentioned about 1/3 of people going to Oz eventually repatriated to the UK, but then a significant number yo-yoed back down under.

I can really relate to this....

I had a one year working holiday Visa....the wife and I came home 4 months early....2 reasons, 1 was that we had run out of money. The other was that i was homesick.... Got home, was great for 2 weeks, then i realised that i did actually prefer the oz environment/climate etc...
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 11:07 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by southerner

This is the problem that keeps my self and other removalists in business,....... MM
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 1:50 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Originally posted by janeyray
people have said to me

'It's only a phase (homesickness) every one has it, it will pass, take a trip to the UK to see why you left and then you will realise you are better off in Oz'

I don't think so. Like Dotty I know that it would be even worse for me to go on a trip back and then know I have to come back to Oz! I think my mind was made up even before our daughter was unhappy. I think I felt it during our first weeks here!?
I too felt it in the first few weeks in Oz. It was a gut feeling that it wasn't right. My hubby suggested to me to come back to England for a holiday to see what I thought but I knew that if I did I wouldn't go back and I didn't want to leave him on the other side of the world.

Homesickness what everyone blames it on for me passed but the other things didn't and these feelings only dissapeared after we arrived back home in the UK. I managed 6 months but to be honest would have been back sooner if the Rolling Stones hadn't been playing in Brisbane at the beginning of March, we left soon after their concert!!!

It is something that is very personal to the individual and everyones experiences will be very different. My hubby loved it out there but now he is back is glad that we made that decision to come back.

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in Aus for 6 months and dont regret one minute of it, but on the flip side, I missed my friends and family so much. I am actually so happy to be back in the UK, I have been away for weekends in Europe, off to Greece in a few weeks, planning a trip to Aus to see my close friends, and this is all possible because I came back to the UK.

Aus is a truely wonderful place, but home is where the heart is, no matter what anyone says, and Aus, like the UK has good and bad points, but hey another saying for you, better the devil you know?!?!?!?!?!

Today if I were given a choice, I would definately stay in the UK. Opportunities are more available here
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 7:08 pm
Badge

Interesting Dotty you should mention people looking older here. (or growing old).

I find that although the sun-uneducated older Aussie generation have damaged skin and so of course look older in that respect, people look younger in spirit. I found it quite a shock to come back to the UK and see how old people looked in general. My cousin who lives in Sydney for 10 years says he notices it too when she comes back, or how his relatives have aged and he hasn't.

In the same way you found it depressing looking at old cars, (I find it charming esp the Holden Utes) I find the old houses and narrow streets the most depressing; I miss the wide roads and the trees and the space.

badgers

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Thanks for the replies, it is nice to hear that we are not the only ones who feel this way.
So far it is been great to be back, just walking around our town and seeing people, who we know and being able to have a chat, everybody has been very supported to us and like they say 'at least we did gave it a go.'
Australia is a beautiful place, yes you can have a nice house with a pool, but you have no family to share these material things with.
I am glad that we went and we wish everyone all the best of luck.

Sue
Old Sep 4th 2003, 6:48 am
Just Joined

unknown is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ywoods
I was in Aus for 6 months and dont regret one minute of it, but on the flip side, I missed my friends and family so much. I am actually so happy to be back in the UK, I have been away for weekends in Europe, off to Greece in a few weeks, planning a trip to Aus to see my close friends, and this is all possible because I came back to the UK.

Aus is a truely wonderful place, but home is where the heart is, no matter what anyone says, and Aus, like the UK has good and bad points, but hey another saying for you, better the devil you know?!?!?!?!?!

Today if I were given a choice, I would definately stay in the UK. Opportunities are more available here
Well there you go, not a situation that someone would have thought from someone who moved to Australia to run from her love for another man! oh well, your loss:scared: