British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   We Have Moved Back To The Uk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/we-have-moved-back-uk-175964/)

sue5665 Sep 2nd 2003 8:27 pm

We Have Moved Back To The Uk

Hi,
We are HOME !!!
Well we made the decission to return to the uk, here is our story!

Our first visit to Australia was in 1990 when we first got married, we stayed for 3 months and toured around the cities, we feel in love with OZ.
We returned to the uk and had two children, hubby came again to oz to visit his brother who lives in Adelaide on his return he was excited and that got the ball rolling we applied with his brother sponcering us, we were granted our visa, at that time our children were 4 & 5, we put our house on the market e.t.c but huddys dad became very ill, so it was put off, Hubby went over with a mate (who met a ozzie girl and has since moved to Adelaide) to get his passport validated.
Life continued in the uk we had a house built, great jobs, great pay but always in the back of ours minds was Australia (more for my husband).
Anyway after hubbys father died we booked a trip for 1 month to Adelaide to stay with his brother, we took the kids and hubbys mother, had a great time and met up with the friend who he came over with, after staying with them listening to them, how wonderful everything was, we were hooked.
We returned to the uk and hubby sponcered me and the kids we were accepted and put everything up for sale.
November 2002 we got the chance for a all expensives paid trip to oz with channel 4 "A place in the sun" (hasn't be on TV yet), I had to get my visa validated so this was a good chance as we had not sold the house, so we left the kids for 2 weeks with mother-in-law and came to Coffs harbour which is a beautiful place.
Returned to the uk, house sold and arrived over here in March, hubby got a great paid job within 2 weeks, kids started school,
we were amazed of all the prices of thing, nobody told us about the little extras e.g stamp duty on cars e.t.c
Since getting here hubbys mate is returning to the uk (so much for all his praise).

Hubby and youngest son nearly drowned two weeks ago and this has put our views on what we want, and I dont want to die here, when we came over we said we would give it 5 years but what if we want to go back and our kids don't, little things do matter we can't point out things to our kid's like "that was where I went to school"e.t.c.
We drove to Adelaide arriving on 8th July, our eldest son was in a car accident, the car was a right off but he was only injured slightly, so this did it for us, we felt that this was a sign and oz is not ment to be for us.
We arrived back in the uk on 19th August and have bought a house that needs lots of work so this will keep us busy.

Good luck to everyone and we are glad we did go, so we can now get on with our life with out the what if's.

Sue

Don't forget to watch 'A Place in the sun'
where we will be making a tv debut !!

johanne Sep 2nd 2003 8:33 pm

Re: We Have Moved Back To The Uk

Originally posted by sue5665
Hi,Good luck to everyone and we are glad we did go, so we can now get on with our life with out the what if's.

Sue

Hi soory to hear that it didnt work out in aussie, but now your lives begin again in the uk...some people would have a touch of the green-eyed monster just knowing that you have been/lived in aussie,,,,
ps when is it on tv? wouldnt mind watching that...
johanne
:)

footie chick Sep 2nd 2003 8:38 pm

Sue

Thanks for your honest post !

Hope it all works out now you are all back in the UK.

Take care

footie chick x

Carol & Barry Sep 2nd 2003 8:46 pm

Hi,
We are HOME !!!

Our first visit to Australia was in 1990 when we first got married, we stayed for 3 months and toured around the cities, we feel in love with OZ.
We returned to the uk and had two children, hubby came again to oz to visit his brother who lives in Adelaide on his return he was excited and that got the ball rolling we applied with his brother sponcering us, we were granted our visa, at that time our children were 4 & 5, we put our house on the market e.t.c but huddys dad became very ill, so it was put off, Hubby went over with a mate (who met a ozzie girl and has since moved to Adelaide) to get his passport validated.
Life continued in the uk we had a house built, great jobs, great pay but always in the back of ours minds was Australia (more for my husband).
Anyway after hubbys father died we booked a trip for 1 month to Adelaide to stay with his brother, we took the kids and hubbys mother, had a great time and met up with the friend who he came over with, after staying with them listening to them, how wonderful everything was, we were hooked.
We returned to the uk and hubby sponcered me and the kids we were accepted and put everything up for sale.
November 2002 we got the chance for a all expensives paid trip to oz with channel 4 "A place in the sun" (hasn't be on TV yet), I had to get my visa validated so this was a good chance as we had not sold the house, so we left the kids for 2 weeks with mother-in-law and came to Coffs harbour which is a beautiful place.
Returned to the uk, house sold and arrived over here in March, hubby got a great paid job within 2 weeks, kids started school,
we were amazed of all the prices of thing, nobody told us about the little extras e.g stamp duty on cars e.t.c
Since getting here hubbys mate is returning to the uk (so much for all his praise).

Hubby and youngest son nearly drowned two weeks ago and this has put our views on what we want, and I dont want to die here, when we came over we said we would give it 5 years but what if we want to go back and our kids don't, little things do matter we can't point out things to our kid's like "that was where I went to school"e.t.c.
We drove to Adelaide arriving on 8th July, our eldest son was in a car accident, the car was a right off but he was only injured slightly, so this did it for us, we felt that this was a sign and oz is not ment to be for us.
We arrived back in the uk on 19th August and have bought a house that needs lots of work so this will keep us busy.

Good luck to everyone and we are glad we did go, so we can now get on with our life with out the what if's.

Sue

Hi Sue have read your past posts when u were on your way to Coffs Harbour and read with regret about the water incident earlier in the year. So sorry to hear once again that you been so unlucky and can understand you feeling that this is just not right. Welcome back to England and the very best of luck

Nibbs Sep 2nd 2003 10:09 pm

Hi Carol & Barry,

Very interesting post. Just adds more weight to the argument that you have to try if for yourself and that no-one can predict what may make you want to come back.

Personally I'm not a fatalist but (contradition comming..) if things don't work out there's normally a "better" alternative around the corner. This kind of self-dillusionment has got me through the last 40 years :)

I'm only sorry that you guys seemed to have such bad luck.

Good luck with the future

Paul and Steph Sep 2nd 2003 10:52 pm

Really sorry it didn't work out for you Sue, hope everything else does.

Steph

mashiraz Sep 2nd 2003 11:51 pm

Hi Sue,

Tried to contact you a couple of times again so I guessed something was up. When I spoke to you it sounded like it was all coming to a decision.

I hope it all works out back in the UK. It is very difficult to settle and even if it is ok for one, it has to be right for both of you, or it won't work.

Good luck for the future
Love Mash..

Hi,
We are HOME !!!

Wilf Sep 3rd 2003 1:16 am

Hi,
We are HOME !!!

Sue

Sorry to hear your recent scares. I would say that you and your family are clearly being looked after by your guardian angel and now you are back in the UK, things will go well for you. I applaud your decision to return and believe you are now in a better country.

Good luck.

hamiltonnz Sep 3rd 2003 1:35 am

Anyone from the UK or NZ and living in Oz or NZ get a twinge of 'wish we were going home too" after reading the story of sue5665's experience.

Sandra Sep 3rd 2003 2:03 am

Originally posted by hamiltonnz
Anyone from the UK or NZ and living in Oz or NZ get a twinge of 'wish we were going home too" after reading the story of sue5665's experience.
I think I might have had I not been back twice this year so far. I get very homesick always have, not for people so much as familiarity of my life day to day. My opportunity for travel back also allowed me not to get nostalgic!

I had real trouble adjusting in the first six/eight months and a trip back for a couple of weeks for made me want to get back to Aus and my family. If something had rocked me as badly as the experiences Sue has had I might have thought a bit more about moving again.

Cheers

Kath Sep 3rd 2003 2:47 am

Originally posted by Sandra
I think I might have had I not been back twice this year so far. I get very homesick always have, not for people so much as familiarity of my life day to day. My opportunity for travel back also allowed me not to get nostalgic!

I had real trouble adjusting in the first six/eight months and a trip back for a couple of weeks for made me want to get back to Aus and my family. If something had rocked me as badly as the experiences Sue has had I might have thought a bit more about moving again.

Cheers
Sandra - I've been thinking about making a trip back on my own to cure the homesickness, much cheaper than us all going. Although I'm not sure I would really enjoy being away from hubby and my children.

Do you still have the urge to go back for another visit? Is this the homesickness cured?

Sandra Sep 3rd 2003 3:03 am

Originally posted by Kath
Sandra - I've been thinking about making a trip back on my own to cure the homesickness, much cheaper than us all going. Although I'm not sure I would really enjoy being away from hubby and my children.

Do you still have the urge to go back for another visit? Is this the homesickness cured?
We came in April 2002 and by Christmas, even though my Mum had been out to visit (not that close). I was missing everything and the differences were growing in my mind. I had the chance to go back with work end Jan 2003 and I took my daughter for two weeks, Husband and Son stayed here. I could not wait to get on the plane back! For me home is where the heart is and that is defintely my husband and children. Also having to stay with family for two weeks rather than just visit them for short periods of time helped - I realised I loved them very much but most of my homesickness was about bits and pieces not the whole deal (hard to explain). I flew back glad to be going home. I didn't see my daughter much as I was working and really wish I hadn't bothered taking her as she had little or no attention paid to her, so much for the doting Grandsparents we tore her away from?

We had to leave the country to get our PR validated April 2002 and we flew back to UK rather than NZ because Father in Law paid - very nice I know! I was scared Husband might not feel the same way about my previous trip and I was pleasantly surprised after a day and night in London just the four of us picking up Visas he said family were nice but he loved the fact we had our own space and country!

What helped is that no one treated us as if it was a massive holiday - family were all working and although very glad to see us, basically got on with things, this helped. Son spent more time with mates than anyone else. Daughter was bored by second trip and ready to go back to school!

The UK Rose tinted galsses came off - lovely place, lovely family, but I also have that here and am still enjoying the adventure even if it is hard in places. But I am not one for saying never - who knows what happen next! (mind you with our bloody mortage it better be a lotto win:D )

Cheers Sandra

email or PM if you ever want to chat

dotty Sep 3rd 2003 3:37 am

I am the opposite, I find going back makes it worse.

My first couple of years here I was not homesick, it was new, an adventure, missing people was harder because it was not that long since I had seen them.

It changed over time what was new became boring, especially the limited Beach yawn bbq thing which is really a holiday span entertainment.

As I would go back people became obviously older, things you probably dont notice day to day. Sometimes I would see people I had not seen for years, like your life fading away in front of you really weird, like somebody had 'aged them'.

I dont have any glossy notions of the UK, been back almost every year. Well aware of every fault it has just like OZ. However its just a more interesting life there and the climate is wet and grey but I find it more comfortable, if I want to sweat for a few weeks I'll go to Spain for a fortnight.

I hate arriving back here, its usually after Xmas, its boiling the traffic is mental, the heat knocks you over, the cars look so old, its a real down feeling.

janeyray Sep 3rd 2003 6:26 am

people have said to me

'It's only a phase (homesickness) every one has it, it will pass, take a trip to the UK to see why you left and then you will realise you are better off in Oz'

I don't think so. Like Dotty I know that it would be even worse for me to go on a trip back and then know I have to come back to Oz! I think my mind was made up even before our daughter was unhappy. I think I felt it during our first weeks here!?:(

muppetking Sep 3rd 2003 6:29 am

Originally posted by dotty
I am the opposite, I find going back makes it worse.

My first couple of years here I was not homesick, it was new, an adventure, missing people was harder because it was not that long since I had seen them.

It changed over time what was new became boring, especially the limited Beach yawn bbq thing which is really a holiday span entertainment.

As I would go back people became obviously older, things you probably dont notice day to day. Sometimes I would see people I had not seen for years, like your life fading away in front of you really weird, like somebody had 'aged them'.

I dont have any glossy notions of the UK, been back almost every year. Well aware of every fault it has just like OZ. However its just a more interesting life there and the climate is wet and grey but I find it more comfortable, if I want to sweat for a few weeks I'll go to Spain for a fortnight.

I hate arriving back here, its usually after Xmas, its boiling the traffic is mental, the heat knocks you over, the cars look so old, its a real down feeling.
My wife and children went back at Xmas and it made it worse for them not better. It simply reinforced what Tracey and my 7 year old already felt. An innate sense of belonging.