Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We have arrived !!

We have arrived !!

Old Feb 10th 2003, 5:51 am

percyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We have arrived !!

We arrived in Melbourne last Tuesday, after a long flight via LA and Sydney. Security checks in the US are now crazy, plus we were randomly selected for extra checks. They even searched our luggage without us being present, just as well we didn’t lock the suitcases, they would have broken the locks to get in.

Since then we’ve only had about 3 hours relaxing, which was on Sunday afternoon, when everyone we needed to contact wasn’t working, so we went to the beach and sat in the sun.

My company has given us a weeks free accommodation, which runs out tomorrow ( we don’t have anyone we know here well enough to help out, just work colleagues) , but if all goes well we’ll be moving in to a place by the end of the week. We viewed today, faxed the application at 4pm, they’d phoned my boss by 4.10pm, then called me back at 5pm, and said they will let us know tomorrow, first thing. So, just hope we are accepted.

I must say, you take internet access for granted until you don’t have it. It really comes in handy when you are trying to find accommodation, the agents here are ok, but we’ve found out the info they give out on paper is not great. We had to get a pre pay internet dial up access account (no free internet access here that we can find)

Next on the list, buy furniture, buy car, get partner a job …………..so far so good.

Just one question, can you get car insurance before taking your Oz theory test. I would imagine you can.

Cheers everyone, you were all a great help along the way.

Jo
Old Feb 10th 2003, 6:16 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We have arrived !!

Originally posted by percyp
Just one question, can you get car insurance before taking your Oz theory test. I would imagine you can.

Jo
Hi Jo,

Nice to hear the news - have fun!

You can definitely get car insurance without an Aus licence (have done it myself).

If you have the time, could you stoke a few good jealousies by telling us a couple of the 'different' things you're enjoying so far?

Cheers - Don
Old Feb 10th 2003, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mike & karen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jo

Could please tell me if you have to resit your driving test or just take a theory test?

We arrive in Melbourne in two weeks time, so any info would be gratfully received.

Mike & Karen
Old Feb 10th 2003, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, really good episode 1, don't forget episode 2!!

Cheers
Mash....

Originally posted by percyp
We arrived in Melbourne last Tuesday, after a long flight via LA and Sydney. Security checks in the US are now crazy, plus we were randomly selected for extra checks. They even searched our luggage without us being present, just as well we didn’t lock the suitcases, they would have broken the locks to get in.

Since then we’ve only had about 3 hours relaxing, which was on Sunday afternoon, when everyone we needed to contact wasn’t working, so we went to the beach and sat in the sun.

My company has given us a weeks free accommodation, which runs out tomorrow ( we don’t have anyone we know here well enough to help out, just work colleagues) , but if all goes well we’ll be moving in to a place by the end of the week. We viewed today, faxed the application at 4pm, they’d phoned my boss by 4.10pm, then called me back at 5pm, and said they will let us know tomorrow, first thing. So, just hope we are accepted.

I must say, you take internet access for granted until you don’t have it. It really comes in handy when you are trying to find accommodation, the agents here are ok, but we’ve found out the info they give out on paper is not great. We had to get a pre pay internet dial up access account (no free internet access here that we can find)

Next on the list, buy furniture, buy car, get partner a job …………..so far so good.

Jo
Old Feb 10th 2003, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Thanks for keeping us all posted. We look forward to further issues when you have a bit more time.
Old Feb 10th 2003, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mike & karen
Hi Jo

Could please tell me if you have to resit your driving test or just take a theory test?

We arrive in Melbourne in two weeks time, so any info would be gratfully received.

Mike & Karen
Hi

You need to take an eyesite test and an oral theorry test withing three months of arrival

Se also http://www.licencequest.com.au/

Kind regards

Terry
:lecture:
Old Feb 11th 2003, 5:40 pm
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Jo, look forward to reading episode 2 ....
Old Feb 12th 2003, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default glad you made it

hi mike and karen glade you made it over, hows things going now you have been here a while i hope your settling in as well as us.
we did choose geelong in the end and have now bought a place and our son has started school. if you get down this way give us a shout and we will meet for a drink.
keep in touch shaun and lorraine.

p.s were have you ended up?