Reload this Page >

Washington Accord or not

Washington Accord or not

Old Feb 27th 2004, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Bob Flemming is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Washington Accord or not

Hi,

I'm hoping to emmigrate to NZ, loads of questions of course but the burning one at the moment HOW!!??

I've got a 1st class engineering degree but unfortunately not accredited, so not recognised under the Washington Accord.

Under the Skilled Migrant Category could I get in or would I need a job offer?

Would an employer look for the Washington Accord?

Would my age (early 40's) and teenage family be any kind of a problem?

Bob
Old Feb 27th 2004, 5:52 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washington Accord or not

Originally posted by Bob Flemming
Hi,

I'm hoping to emmigrate to NZ, loads of questions of course but the burning one at the moment HOW!!??

I've got a 1st class engineering degree but unfortunately not accredited, so not recognised under the Washington Accord.

Bob
Sorry I dont know the answers to your questions

But have you tried posating on here:

http://www.*****.co.uk/chat/phpbb/index.php

Its specific to NZ and Grey on there seems to know pretty much everything to do with migration

Hope this helps
Old Feb 27th 2004, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Cheers, never heard of it but i'll give it a try.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Sunseeker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Bob
Hello Bob,

I think that if you want to register as a proffesional Engineer with the Institute of Engineers Australia you will need an accredited degree. An employer would look for a particular grade of Engineer. This would probably be a combination of qualifications and experience. I take it that you have an honours degree as you refer to a first class. Can I ask what subject?. Is it a BEng(Hons) or a another degree? When did you graduate? You may find it difficult to get a job offer but not impossible.

I am also migrating with my family, however, I have been assessed under the Washington accord as I am lucky enough to have stuided an accredited Engineering degree. I too have teenage children and it can be a bit diffult for them to understand your motives for wanting to go. Good luck in your application.

PS if you are an Electrical Engineer, I think that Victoria are doing state sponsored ( with HV experience ) this may be an option for you.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Its NZ I'm looking at....considered virtually over the hill for OZ

My degree was BSc Hons Computer Aided Product Design graduated in 1997, acredited the year after and probably on the basis of some of my work - darn.

I've given up on recognition through the Wash Acc but am thinking that if I can secure an employment offer as a project engineer or product designer in NZ on a work visa and then apply for PR once there.

(The kids only suspect at the moment, we just keep telling ourselves it will be good for them in the long term.....)
Old Feb 28th 2004, 9:38 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi Bob,

I'got assessed under the Sydney accord myself, but know a fromd of mine who got assessed through CDR, his degree not being recognised.

I gave im a hand with his application & it wasn't a problem.

If you look at the IEAust web site it explains it all on there.

bye
Mark H
Old Feb 29th 2004, 10:31 am
jsg
Forum Regular

jsg is an unknown quantity at this point

I've given up on recognition through the Wash Acc
If you haven't already phoned the Engineering Council, give them a try. They seem knowledgable about all these issues and they're certainly very helpful. Also, if you're already a chartered engineer/member of one of the UK institutions, you may be able to get membership of the NZ equivalent with reduced hassle.

Jeremy
Old Mar 9th 2004, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

JPRobbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
My name is John and i am also going through the skilled visa process at the moment. I have just found out through my emigration agent that my BEng degree in Building Services Engineering is not credited as i did not do the honours year. i have good experiance in my field and would appreciate any advice on what anyone thinks about the chance of doing the CDR and applying throught the WA?? My agents are not being very helpfull regarding the CDR at the moment and are suggesting i get in through the SA. I am an Electrical Engineer looking to go to Victoria anyway, and i have a little HV experiance.....
Thanks in Advance
John

Sunseekers message,

PS if you are an Electrical Engineer, I think that Victoria are doing state sponsored ( with HV experience ) this may be an option for you. [/QUOTE]
Old Mar 9th 2004, 12:52 pm
jsg
Forum Regular

jsg is an unknown quantity at this point

I think if your degree is not recognised, you won't get accepted based on one of the accords. Pity, because it's faster, easier and cheaper. So the CDR is the way to go. Look at the IEAust site: they explain the whole thing very well. Search for CDR on this forum for hints and tips on completing it. Good luck!
Old Mar 9th 2004, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

JPRobbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jsg
I think if your degree is not recognised, you won't get accepted based on one of the accords. Pity, because it's faster, easier and cheaper. So the CDR is the way to go. Look at the IEAust site: they explain the whole thing very well. Search for CDR on this forum for hints and tips on completing it. Good luck!

Thanks for your help, sunseeker mentioned in one of his earlier msg's about being an Electrical Engineer going to Victoria state sponsored??
I am an Electrical Engineer looking to go to Victoria anyway, and i have a little HV experiance.....
Does anyone have anymore info????

Regards
John

Last edited by JPRobbo; Mar 10th 2004 at 8:50 am.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

The State sponsored Electrical Engineer route - with HV experience - was only just recently added to the list. I think it was about November last year??. If you look at go matilda I recall seeing it on there and it may have been from a news item that I have picked up from Alan Collett on this site. I am not sure of the rules for state sponsored/nominated entry, but I do recall that it was not regional i.e. you could live in the melbourne area under the scheme. For what its worth, I sent my CV out just after Christmas to see if any jobs may be in the offing and I have recieved a number of replies, some offering potential sponsorship. As I am currently going down the skilled independent route I would only require a short term sponsorship not permanent. I am expecting to travel to Australia in the next few weeks for a few interviews. If you want further details drop me an e-mail - it is my works account so try to be discreet!!! - [email protected]. I have heard all sorts of stories about the lack of work in Oz for electrical/instrument engineers. All I can offer is my own personal experience and that is that since starting to look I have had a number of agents calling/e-mailing me with request for interviews and I have a couple of work mates who have already gone. It seems to me that jobs are not a problem. Again for what its worth salaries quoted are staff approx 100K contract approx 80 per hour.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Attached STNI List for Victoria.

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: doc