Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Washing Powder/Liquid

Washing Powder/Liquid

Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:25 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washing Powder/Liquid

Originally Posted by akj
Sorry to say but this is Absolute Blunder. Front loading machines are always good. The only negative point is that it is more expensive when u buy, but it uses less water, detergent & electricity. It gives more cleaner clothes.

Click on the following links for more details

http://housewares.about.com/lw/Home-...is-Better-.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?Front-Load...oose&id=367499

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the...ng-machine.htm
Front loaders are good for washing clean clothes and thus are good for people living in cold climates where clothes don't become significantly soiled with body grease. They don't have the vigorous agitation of top loaders so take longer and / or higher temperatures to achieve the same greasy soil removal effect.

Front loaders cost more, firstly to purchase, and, secondly in depreciation because they don't last as long as top loaders.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foxall22
Ok, thanks for the replies.

We have a top loader and don't own a dryer... will try the NapiSan trick. We always wash at 40 or hotter for towels and sheets but don't want to risk shrinkage on clothes.

What's the name of the Godfreys stuff? That sounds intriguing...

Cheers,

Gemma
Just ask at Godfrey's for the laundry powder in the tubs. It usually sits beside the counter.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:30 am
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
When we had our front-loader installed, the technician said to use 40C water as it's closest to our body temperature, most effective for lifting sweat and stains from our clothes. He recommended Omo-matic for front-loading washing mashine and suggested throwing out the scoop that came with the washing powder and use a tablespoon instead. I put in 1 Tbsp of washing powder and 2 Tbsp of Napisan for every wash. Nearly 5 years on, no complaints.

If you don't mind colours fading from your gymn clothes, dry them in the sun to remove any smell.

Mrs JTL
Absolutely agree with this, front loaders are best, minimal omo-matic & no other powder, agree with Sard or Napisan too...

As an added bonus tip...to clean oven trays/shelves pop one cup of napisan into laundry sink, fill with hot water tap only to half way (or enough water to cover trays & shelves). Place items in boiling mix & leave to soak overnight.
Next day rinse off & will shine like new...really really you try it!!...best kept secret ever to cleaning oven things. Great for if your moving house & need to have oven looking like new too.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 7:29 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoola
Absolutely agree with this, front loaders are best, minimal omo-matic & no other powder, agree with Sard or Napisan too...
If you have to hang out newly washed clothes in the sun to remove their smell then the washing machine is not performing its function.

Properly operated washing machines will not leave clothes smelly. Smelly washing implies too little time, too little detergent, too low a temperature or too little agitation.

Last edited by WillBlack; Aug 11th 2009 at 7:31 am.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoola

As an added bonus tip...to clean oven trays/shelves pop one cup of napisan into laundry sink, fill with hot water tap only to half way (or enough water to cover trays & shelves). Place items in boiling mix & leave to soak overnight.
Next day rinse off & will shine like new...really really you try it!!...best kept secret ever to cleaning oven things. Great for if your moving house & need to have oven looking like new too.
Now you tell me...A week after I spent an afternoon scubbing like a mad woman to get the oven clean in our rental for the move-out inspection! Where the hell was your bonus tip 2 weeks ago?!?
Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all

I bought some omo matic today..... gonna try it out. Hopefully it will be better than everything else I have tried.

I have a front loader, don't put too much in (clothes wise) my machine only takes the water it needs for the wash, (guess it does it by weight) I usually put it on a 40 cycle, but have recently upped it to 50, but don't really like doing that, I would prefer to wash on a 30 but thats just unrealistic with what choice of powders we have over here!

It's only stained clothes I have a problem with, it always smells fresh, but the stains seem to take a few washes to come out. The amount of clothes I have thrown out cos they're ruined! I have tried the vanish and napisan, but in my opinion they're just a loada rubbish.

I either need a new washing machine or a better powder to use!!

Aren't we petty moaning about washing powder eh

T
Old Aug 11th 2009, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tracey O

It's only stained clothes I have a problem with, it always smells fresh, but the stains seem to take a few washes to come out. The amount of clothes I have thrown out cos they're ruined! I have tried the vanish and napisan, but in my opinion they're just a loada rubbish.

I either need a new washing machine or a better powder to use!!

Aren't we petty moaning about washing powder eh

T
Try the Sard wonder soap. Comes in a stick like pritt stick glue. Dampen the stained patch slightly. Rub a bit of the soap in -- use a soft brush on it (I use dollar shop toothbrushes) I find it gets most stuff out even after it's been dried in!

Happy Laundry!

PS I am a front loader person. And I have the smelliest husband in the universerse (he does alot of running and plays hockey). My method for smell-free clothes is to: Use a pre-wash programme with extra soap (omo for front loaders) and avoid the eco-friendly, economy or quick wash programmes for sports kit. Use as high a temp as the clothes will cope with and dry on the line where possible! Washing powder for sensitive skin is less effective at removing odour than the standard stuff.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 11:58 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of Indian ladies who bash everything against rocks. the clothes don't last long, but they're always clean.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Burbage
I have a couple of Indian ladies who bash everything against rocks. the clothes don't last long, but they're always clean.
Very Funny!! Would you believe they actually still do this in some parts of India

ps. Love your signature!!
Old Aug 12th 2009, 4:11 am
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Now you tell me...A week after I spent an afternoon scubbing like a mad woman to get the oven clean in our rental for the move-out inspection! Where the hell was your bonus tip 2 weeks ago?!?
If only I'd known!!
Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi

Also depends on wether you are on tank water. The reason the clothes are cleaner in the UK is that the additives in the water activate the chemicals in the powder. To do this you will need to add a small amount of bleach or napisan equivalent to each wash. Aldi have a stain remover/additive that's cheap and works well.

Jane