Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Washing Machines

Washing Machines

Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Washing Machines

Westinghouse is good too
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:26 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

We didn't bring much electrical. We bought a new Bosch from Bing Lee - there are two good cheapo electricals outlets in most of NSW (can't speak for the rest of Aussie sorry) - that's Bing Lee and the Good Guys. You can really shout down the price if you buy quite a lot in one go and you have cash (rather than credit purchase). We also got $100 rebate from the council as it was a five star washing machine. Its a front loader too. Watch out for the washing powders in the supermarkets though - some of them state FRONT LOADER the rest work in top loaders (I think its to do with less suds and foam and stuff going down the drain). Ours is only connected to the COLD supply too and we use the COLD wash and use COLD powder for the washing. Saves masses on energy!

If you are bringing electricals bear in mind that they will all have UK plugs on them and they will all be fused. Aussie plug adapters will be needed - or you will need to buy plugs to change to (Bunnings is good for this) BUT and its a BIG BUT - Aussie plugs are rated like a fused lug would be rated - there are no actual FUSES in aussie plugs - you might want to consider this when getting contents insurance and thinking of warranties. If you cut the plug off a machine which was designed for the UK market and then it screws up the warranty could well be invalid - plus the insurance company will use it as an excuse not to cough up. If you're going to buy new anyway then buy Aussie new. If its old then why ship?

Our surround sound system is on its way out by ship and will arrive end of January. The ONLY reason we brought it was because it was a wedding present. Here's the thing though - the European SCART connection that it works through is not standard on Aussie TV's !!!!!!! We will await its arrival before trying to work out how to connect it to the back of our new LCD which has a whole board full of possible RGB type jack plus!!!!!!!!!!

Also - for computer AND for expensive TV equipment - get SURGE board type plugs. They often come with their own insurance which means if lightning strikes your house and it jumps down your aerial and the TV blows up - at least you've got SOME insurance! Might seem OTT but where we live in NSW - electric storms are loud and frequent!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Well, just a few months before we plan to pack up and ship off, our prehistoric washing machine decides to pack up. We've decided to buy new and ship it over but I want to make sure I can get parts in Oz if I need to.

Can anyone tell me the most common brands of Washing Machines in Oz?

Thanks so much in advance.
Personally I would wait and buy here. We bought a bosch front loader as sister in law says top loaders are cr@p. Got the rebate to. Just my opinion. Also you can rent unfurnished etc and buy straight away.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought our Bosch with us but it was only about 2 years old then. It's worked just as well here as there. I certainly wouldn't bother buying one there just to bring over. Get one here, get the rebate, know you have the local warranty and they're not that expensive really, you can get some great deals if you shop around.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

We bought a Hoover top loader here in Oz in 2000. It has since been with us in China, UK and now back in Oz. No problems with it at all, unfortunately we didn't get a rebate despite the 4.5 star efficiency rating.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

We have a Miele washing machine that we are thinking of shipping over. It is only about 18 months old though. I hope it travels OK otherwise we'll have to buy a new one when we arrive.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

If you are buying here never pay full price and there are always stock clearance's. January / June.

You have to go around each shop asking them to beat it which they expect you to do after about 3/4 calls to Rick Hart, Harvey Norman, Retravision etc you'll get close the price you should be paying. I think the only exception is that Miele have a flat price with no movement.