Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Washing machine - where to buy (Oz or UK)?

Washing machine - where to buy (Oz or UK)?

Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Pippa1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Washing machine - where to buy (Oz or UK)?

We had a removal guy around who recommended that we bought a washing machine in the UK and ship it over. Any thoughts?

He said that washing machines in Oz were behind the times, mostly top loaders and expensive. Is he correct?

WWYD? Removals are here on Monday
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washing machine - where to buy (Oz or UK)?

Originally Posted by Pippa1972
We had a removal guy around who recommended that we bought a washing machine in the UK and ship it over. Any thoughts?

He said that washing machines in Oz were behind the times, mostly top loaders and expensive. Is he correct?

I think he's behind the times - used to be no front loaders (too small) but now plenty (eco/wash quality reasons).
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:37 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

One thing about washing machines is that electricity in Oz is 60Hz, and in Europe it's 50Hz (might be the other way round). It doesn't matter with lots of electrical goods, but on washing machines it can mess with the timers.

When I worked for a supply ship company in Melbourne, we operated ships built in Norway, and always had to get our washing machines imported from Singapore which used the correct Hz. Australian washing machines would work, but there were issues with the timers and they'd only last a few months.

I'd buy a washing machine here, plus if you have any problems the warranty is still valid.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:43 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

We have just bought a new Whirlpool front loader last week. $800
7.5kg/1200 spin (mid priced) They range from $500 - $1200 approx and there are plenty around.
Our Whirlpool is Model No. WFS1273BD if you want to compare with similar spec in the UK.

Our last washing machine we brought over from the UK to NZ to Aus, it was a hotpoint and we had about 7 years out of it, so not too bad.

We left the UK about 5 years ago, so I have no idea how much washing machines cost over there now but you could compare and see whether its worth the bother.

I am pleased that we brought our UK washing machine and tumble drier (which is still going strong) as it was one less thing to worry about here when we arrived.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:56 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

I have just had a quick look on the UK sites and you definitely have much more choice and better value for money over there. As is with everything I believe, which is why I dont normally torment myself and look!

Good luck with your move by the way.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice

We just got a second hand Bosch for £180. The bloke we bought it from sells nearly new for lots cheaper. The door on this 1 had been pulled off but its like new now
We have a washing machine here but the buyers wanted it (wanted lots actually and said yes cos we are desperate )
We were going to get new over there but having dropped the house sooo much we are now on a budget and it didnt cost any extra with our shippers. Also, the £ is so low at the mo.
Lou
Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pippa1972

Our son went to live in Brisbane last year and he bought a normal (to us) front loader in Brisbane, a Samsung, and he got some cash back from the QLD gov as they want people to buy these type of washing machines.

Not certain but I think he said he got about $200 back a month or so later.

He also said that even when list prices look high in Oz there is usually money off these prices for cash/credit/debit card.

Would agree with last post that with a low pound if it costs no extra to ship maybe the Uk may be cheaper as long as it keeps working.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Pippa1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone

I think we are going to remove the stress and wait until we are in Oz. As you can imagine time is draining through the egg timer Vanishing before our eyes - lol!!

But you helped me to feel like I was not missing out big time! Even if it is a bit more in Oz, it will be easier
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Can recommend a company called Appliances Online, they did a really good price on our Electrolux model.

But as usual, shop around the stores to get the best price.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:39 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

I would DEF buy in the Uk - www.shopzillia.co.uk is great for tracking down bargins. I paid £450 for a top of the range Hotpoint - the EXACT same model over here was $1700 - couldn't believe it!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
I would DEF buy in the Uk - www.shopzillia.co.uk is great for tracking down bargins. I paid £450 for a top of the range Hotpoint - the EXACT same model over here was $1700 - couldn't believe it!
Never heard of that brand - maybe it is barely stocked with only limited importation?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 7:13 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fish.01
Never heard of that brand - maybe it is barely stocked with only limited importation?
It's not called hotpoint in oz, it's some other name beginning with A, can't remember!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kar-kier
It's not called hotpoint in oz, it's some other name beginning with A, can't remember!
Ariston...fairly new low key brand....will stay that way at those prices
Old Jul 31st 2009, 11:32 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Exchange rates make all the difference. At the moment that's making the UK cheaper than Oz, substantially so on some brands. I would buy it in the UK.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 11:55 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on a lot of factors. When we arrived, we had a fair bit to buy, fridge freezer, telly etc. We went to the good guys and got a good deal buying a few items. You never pay the ticket, even on sale items. We ended up paying 450bucks for our Samsung 5 star efficient frontloader and got 200 or something back on a government rebate. No complaints.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.