Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Washing machine & dryer

Wikiposts

Washing machine & dryer

Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:33 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washing machine & dryer

Originally Posted by Willij
Another vote for Miele from me - I can't wait for my vacuum cleaner to arrive next week.

On a totally different note - we drove through Monbulk last week and I am really envious if that is still where you are thinking of living.
Still planning on living there or there abouts.

Fab area isnt it.

15 minutes from civilization, and 2 minutes from miles of peace and quiet and space as far as the eye can see.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:37 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
The Miele washing machines and dryers sold here are German made.

To the OP, if you pack your washing machine and dryer properly (with brackets that came with them), and ship them over, you might be pleasantly surprised that they will still work very well for at least a few more years. If you are already shipping a full container and there is room for them I would say why not ship them too? Perhaps you can ask your MIL to pay for other things that you may need in Oz? Just a thought.

Mrs JTL
Its a good idea to take both new & old, but it might arouse suspicion with the customs, and have to end up paying tax on the new ones

Looks like its a trip to the Miele dealer over here.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:44 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by Wendy
That's what I'd do as well, I'd ask for business class tickets instead
I was checking out business class prices this weekend.

A house full of Miele equipment is cheaper !!

It was $14,500.00 dearer than cattle class.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:35 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
One for the ladies,

We are looking at buying a new washing machine in either Holland or Oz.

We have had Miele for the for many years, and we swear by them. The ones we have at the moment are 13 years old, and still going strong. (we expect 6-7 years more is no problem.)

My MIL has offered to pay for a new washing machine & dryer as a present for in Oz, but I have been looking at prices in Oz, and what we would like is going to cost about aus$6500 and here in Holland about aus$4000.

I there a brand that somebody can recommend tht is available in Oz that maybe can compare for quality & reliability.

I'm not looking for cheap, but 2.5K is a lot of money. I'm not too worried about buying here and using the Miele worldwide guarantee, but its easier to buy down under if we can.

Anybody got any suggestions ?
you will get a miele washer dryer seperates for $4000. there built to last 20 years. ours are 19 years old and still going strong. they are one of the best you can buy and spares are available for 16 years. bit more pricey than some of the shit you can buy here but worth it.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by youngy73
you will get a miele washer dryer seperates for $4000. there built to last 20 years. ours are 19 years old and still going strong. they are one of the best you can buy and spares are available for 16 years. bit more pricey than some of the shit you can buy here but worth it.
Just noticed in local paper that Retravision have a Miele washer/dryer combo for $2899 and a washer for $1599.

HTH
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I was checking out business class prices this weekend.

A house full of Miele equipment is cheaper !!

It was $14,500.00 dearer than cattle class.

All the more reason for someone else to pay
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
All the more reason for someone else to pay
Great minds think alike, Wendy!

Mrs JTL
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:23 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

One for the ladies,

We are looking at buying a new washing machine in either Holland or Oz.

We have had Miele for the for many years, and we swear by them. The ones we have at the moment are 13 years old, and still going strong. (we expect 6-7 years more is no problem.)

My MIL has offered to pay for a new washing machine & dryer as a present for in Oz, but I have been looking at prices in Oz, and what we would like is going to cost about aus$6500 and here in Holland about aus$4000.

I there a brand that somebody can recommend tht is available in Oz that maybe can compare for quality & reliability.

I'm not looking for cheap, but 2.5K is a lot of money. I'm not too worried about buying here and using the Miele worldwide guarantee, but its easier to buy down under if we can.

Anybody got any suggestions ?

We are also huge Miele fans but got another brand called Asko which has been brilliant. Will however never change from a Miele Dishwasher
Old Feb 13th 2007, 1:10 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Just noticed in local paper that Retravision have a Miele washer/dryer combo for $2899 and a washer for $1599.

HTH
Only thing is, they are not the type we need. Unfortunately got expensive taste.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:35 am
Nearly There

momma mia will become famous soon enough

Hi there
I will be moving to Melbourne in the next few months my husband has just got a job there. So now im panicking as it has all happened over the past weekend hubby goes next week me and the children will follow on when we sell the house. Thank god ive found this site.Sorry im going on and on this is new to me. ive just read how some of you have dryers over in oz and for some idiotic reason thought they wouldn't be needed, my sister has put her name on mine for when I leave and im now wondering if I should take it? will it get used etc???
:confused
Old Feb 17th 2007, 6:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
Yes Miele are very good, but just be aware that there is no bargaining power with miele products. The ticketed price will be the price you pay. Miele won't allow their products to be discounted.
They don't in Oz, but that's part of the Mafia style setup. We always would "negotiate" Miele machines in the UK and always got discounts.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:04 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
I'd say bring it over as you'll save $$$s on the cost of buying them here.

Also, if it has two pipes (hot and cold) then it's worth it as the ones here just seem to have cold, which means you're paying to heat up the water with electricity rather than using already hot water from either a solar tank/gas boiler/whatever.

We brought our cheapy washing machine with us as we'd had to buy a new one earlier in the year and I'm glad we did - money that we didnt have to fork out straight away! It's still going strong (touch wood) so was worth it.
Our Miele certainly has both hot and cold inputs - are you sure your's isn't blanked off by someone? Quite honestly, by the time the "hot" input actually *gets* the hot water I'm not sure there would be much difference anyway.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 5:03 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by Wol
Our Miele certainly has both hot and cold inputs - are you sure your's isn't blanked off by someone? Quite honestly, by the time the "hot" input actually *gets* the hot water I'm not sure there would be much difference anyway.
There are a few tpyes that do have both hot & cold inputs, but not all.

Since starting this thread, we have done a bit of web searching, and so far we can get about 15% off the recommended price, so we are try to play a couple of dealers off against each other, and buy them over here, and ship them out with us.