Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all Scots - who did you use to ship your things?

Calling all Scots - who did you use to ship your things?

Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:28 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Calling all Scots - who did you use to ship your things?

Hi there, after reading a few scary posts just wanted to see who you used north of the border. Have the names of Crown - don't think so!, White and Company, Doree Bonner and Matt Purdie and Sons, or can anyone recommend anyone else.

I know the shippers thing has been done to death but need good advice from people in our area, just so we know who to avoid, who has sticky fingers or butter finger !

Many thanks in advance.
Clairex
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all Scots - who did you use to ship your things?

Hi Claire,

We've not had the shippers yet but Crown is one of the ones we'll get out for a quote. I'm quite happy to get them out (tho' will be using Leyton Percival for insurance). It's the only really negative post I've read on them so far. I'll also be getting out the other ones you mention about but didn't realise Matt Purdie would do international removals. Have used them before when moving local and they were a fab bunch of guys.

Ann
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:59 am
td1
Forum Regular

td1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud of

When we moved we used Crown. The guy came to us and was very professional, very friendly and helpful. We lived in Dumfries and a lot of the companys didn't even want to come and give us a quote as we were in Scotland, and asked us to give them an estimate of how much stuff we had . Like we had a clue!!!

In the end Crown came up as one of the best prices and as he was one of the few that came out we chose them. Have to admit there service was excellent at both ends, no delays and no damage.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:57 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Calling all Scots - who did you use to ship your things?

Originally Posted by BertieB
Hi Claire,

We've not had the shippers yet but Crown is one of the ones we'll get out for a quote. I'm quite happy to get them out (tho' will be using Leyton Percival for insurance). It's the only really negative post I've read on them so far. I'll also be getting out the other ones you mention about but didn't realise Matt Purdie would do international removals. Have used them before when moving local and they were a fab bunch of guys.

Ann
Suppose it wouldnt do any harm to get a quote, as Matt Purdie I've never heard of anyone on here using them but the ad in the yellow pages did say international removals, so will give them a call.

As for the insurance will also be going to Leyton Percival for it.

Thanks for you input.
Clairex
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:00 am
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by td1
When we moved we used Crown. The guy came to us and was very professional, very friendly and helpful. We lived in Dumfries and a lot of the companys didn't even want to come and give us a quote as we were in Scotland, and asked us to give them an estimate of how much stuff we had . Like we had a clue!!!

In the end Crown came up as one of the best prices and as he was one of the few that came out we chose them. Have to admit there service was excellent at both ends, no delays and no damage.
So does it depend which depot you use then? As the ones down south seem to be getting a bad rep, John Masons as well. Well may as well get them all out and see what the quotes are as we may have to store our stuff for a couple of months as well before going - depending on how the house sale goes today .

Thanks for your advice.
Clairex
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:25 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Hi there, after reading a few scary posts just wanted to see who you used north of the border. Have the names of Crown - don't think so!, White and Company, Doree Bonner and Matt Purdie and Sons, or can anyone recommend anyone else.

I know the shippers thing has been done to death but need good advice from people in our area, just so we know who to avoid, who has sticky fingers or butter finger !

Many thanks in advance.
Clairex
we used Allied Pickfords....few minor hassles but overall fab
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Chergar is just really niceChergar is just really niceChergar is just really niceChergar is just really niceChergar is just really niceChergar is just really niceChergar is just really niceChergar is just really niceChergar is just really niceChergar is just really nice

Hi We used Anglo Pacific and found them superb! The guy who came out to the house was very proffessional and very friendly there was never any hidden costs and the guys who came to load the van were on time and they packed all our goods perfectly we had NO breakages or damaged goods when it arrived in Perth. The only one hiccup we ha was a delay in the actual ship arriving in Fremantle but that was out with anyones control and luckily we weren't desperate for our good at that time as we had a furnished let for a few weeks. I hope this info is useful to you
Cherie Anne
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chergar
Hi We used Anglo Pacific and found them superb! The guy who came out to the house was very proffessional and very friendly there was never any hidden costs and the guys who came to load the van were on time and they packed all our goods perfectly we had NO breakages or damaged goods when it arrived in Perth. The only one hiccup we ha was a delay in the actual ship arriving in Fremantle but that was out with anyones control and luckily we weren't desperate for our good at that time as we had a furnished let for a few weeks. I hope this info is useful to you
Cherie Anne
We used UPS International who have an office in Perth, WA. We moved from Wemyss Bay to Perth in October this year and they gave a fantastic services, 20 foot container for just under £4,000 with the big things insured.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:21 pm
In my own little world!

Thanks Anne and Carol, never even had them on my list, they have been added now! always good to get a few recommendations.
Clairex
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:22 pm
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Many thanks in advance.
Clairex
Used Crown and only had minor problems when trying to claim small items that were damaged. They made a fuss, we did in return by contacting the original salesman and all was sorted out. Both sets of packers/unpackers were superb.

Only other quote was from Allied Pickfords and not much in it. Both salesman were very professional.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

We used pickfords from Ayr and they were truly terrible. I have also seen someone else move from Ayr more recently and used pickfords and he had an equally bad horror tale. Pickfords is a franchise, so all the talk of using the same company over here as there actually works against you. Everyone blamed everyone else (The scots blamed the english, the english blamed this lot etc) and no-one would take responsibility and very hard to make a claim. For the last few years I have watch BE on and off and from the tales of peoples move, I think pickfords round Ayr are the worst. They were late, said they would take it all to the warehouse to pack it but they never bothered to pack our stuff and loads was missing or broken. There were loads more problems though, not just the Scots.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:47 pm
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by extrameant
We used pickfords from Ayr and they were truly terrible. I have also seen someone else move from Ayr more recently and used pickfords and he had an equally bad horror tale. Pickfords is a franchise, so all the talk of using the same company over here as there actually works against you. Everyone blamed everyone else (The scots blamed the english, the english blamed this lot etc) and no-one would take responsibility and very hard to make a claim. For the last few years I have watch BE on and off and from the tales of peoples move, I think pickfords round Ayr are the worst. They were late, said they would take it all to the warehouse to pack it but they never bothered to pack our stuff and loads was missing or broken. There were loads more problems though, not just the Scots.
Thats awful, it does put you off shipping everything, we still have to decide what to take and what not. Deciding who to use is a big decision, so thanks for your input. How are things going in Oz?
Clairex
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:02 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks in advance.
Clairex
We used Crown, montrose branch and they were great!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:03 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by extrameant
Just saw you used a company from Ayr. My hubby came from Ayr! Not often you hear of someone else from there.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stitch
We used Crown, montrose branch and they were great!

Cheers

Ginny
Hi Ginny Good to hear that's who we were looking to go with. Just got our quote in. Thanks

Donna

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.