Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Washing machine & dryer

Washing machine & dryer

Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:12 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Washing machine & dryer

One for the ladies,

We are looking at buying a new washing machine in either Holland or Oz.

We have had Miele for the for many years, and we swear by them. The ones we have at the moment are 13 years old, and still going strong. (we expect 6-7 years more is no problem.)

My MIL has offered to pay for a new washing machine & dryer as a present for in Oz, but I have been looking at prices in Oz, and what we would like is going to cost about aus$6500 and here in Holland about aus$4000.

I there a brand that somebody can recommend tht is available in Oz that maybe can compare for quality & reliability.

I'm not looking for cheap, but 2.5K is a lot of money. I'm not too worried about buying here and using the Miele worldwide guarantee, but its easier to buy down under if we can.

Anybody got any suggestions ?
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:28 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Washing machine & dryer

Originally Posted by furkew
One for the ladies,

We have had Miele for the for many years, and we swear by them. The ones we have at the moment are 13 years old, and still going strong. (we expect 6-7 years more is no problem.)

My MIL has offered to pay for a new washing machine & dryer as a present for in Oz, but I have been looking at prices in Oz, and what we would like is going to cost about aus$6500 and here in Holland about aus$4000.

I there a brand that somebody can recommend tht is available in Oz that maybe can compare for quality & reliability.

I'm not looking for cheap, but 2.5K is a lot of money. I'm not too worried about buying here and using the Miele worldwide guarantee, but its easier to buy down under if we can.

Can't answer your question, but we have an 'Indesit' washer/ drier. Had it for several years now - cost us about £200 - never gone wrong and a blaaady good tub!

Spend a fortune if you must but why bother?
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:38 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Can't answer your question, but we have an 'Indesit' washer/ drier. Had it for several years now - cost us about £200 - never gone wrong and a blaaady good tub!

Spend a fortune if you must but why bother?

because I know that 20 years down the road, the mechanic from miele has popped in once to repair it cos one of the kids had a pocket full of stones, and thats all.

Its cheap when you look at it that way.

Almast all our appliances in the house are Miele, and they are still good value.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Washing machine & dryer

One for the ladies,

When I lived in Western Australia, I bought a 5kg 1,000rpm Ariston. It was made in Italy, cheaper than a Mielé, and of comparable quality. Cost me $1,450 in 2001 - and worth every cent.

It also came with a 5-year warranty, which was rather nice.

Could be worth a Captain Cook.

Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:11 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
When I lived in Western Australia, I bought a 5kg 1,000rpm Ariston. It was made in Italy, cheaper than a Mielé, and of comparable quality. Cost me $1,450 in 2001 - and worth every cent.

It also came with a 5-year warranty, which was rather nice.

Could be worth a Captain Cook.

you mean butchers hook
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

you mean butchers hook
Miele is available here as well. It may be a bit more expensive, but if it lasts you 20+ years then it will really be worth it in the long run to get what you like.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

One for the ladies,

I would probably buy the Miele over there and ship them out. I shipped a Bosch washer and a Bosch dryer out brand new (they too would have been more expensive here than in the UK). I also had an old Bosch dishwasher in the UK and after 12 years was still going strong. I bought a new one out here for $1400 and it is rubbish. I think it has something to do with the fact that it is made in Asia and for whatever reason the quality control is not the same as in Germany. Maybe I just got a lemon Leaving aside the cost differentials find out where Miele appliances sold in Australia are made?

HTH
Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Miele is available here as well. It may be a bit more expensive, but if it lasts you 20+ years then it will really be worth it in the long run to get what you like.
Yes Miele are very good, but just be aware that there is no bargaining power with miele products. The ticketed price will be the price you pay. Miele won't allow their products to be discounted.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
I Leaving aside the cost differentials find out where Miele appliances sold in Australia are made?
The Miele washing machines and dryers sold here are German made.

To the OP, if you pack your washing machine and dryer properly (with brackets that came with them), and ship them over, you might be pleasantly surprised that they will still work very well for at least a few more years. If you are already shipping a full container and there is room for them I would say why not ship them too? Perhaps you can ask your MIL to pay for other things that you may need in Oz? Just a thought.

Mrs JTL
Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
The Miele washing machines and dryers sold here are German made.

To the OP, if you pack your washing machine and dryer properly (with brackets that came with them), and ship them over, you might be pleasantly surprised that they will still work very well for at least a few more years. If you are already shipping a full container and there is room for them I would say why not ship them too? Perhaps you can ask your MIL to pay for other things that you may need in Oz? Just a thought.

Mrs JTL

That's what I'd do as well, I'd ask for business class tickets instead
Old Feb 13th 2007, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

DavidShea is an unknown quantity at this point

We didn't bother bringing our washing machine out, it was a cheap, no-frills model.

Lots of people have top-loaders here - they're rubbish - don't wash well, and use tons of water/electricity.

Queensland Government are giving rebates of $200 for buying new machines that are efficient - 4 star+ water and electricty. All that qualify are mostly European front-loaders.

If you've got room, and a good model, bring it over.

Dave x
Old Feb 13th 2007, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say bring it over as you'll save $$$s on the cost of buying them here.

Also, if it has two pipes (hot and cold) then it's worth it as the ones here just seem to have cold, which means you're paying to heat up the water with electricity rather than using already hot water from either a solar tank/gas boiler/whatever.

We brought our cheapy washing machine with us as we'd had to buy a new one earlier in the year and I'm glad we did - money that we didnt have to fork out straight away! It's still going strong (touch wood) so was worth it.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Bring it over if you want just remember if it is brand new in its box you will have to pay GST tax because its under 12 mths old

Ali
Old Feb 13th 2007, 2:03 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

One for the ladies,

Know what you mean about Miele, we have both washer and t/dryer in Miele and they are excellent compared to others i have had.They do sell them here and yes are more expensive than in the UK, but i still would buy them here as i'm sure the life spam of them is going to be longer than other makes.

Thing is my hubby is in the trade and gets all white goods at trade value. It's who you know these days!!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about

Another vote for Miele from me - I can't wait for my vacuum cleaner to arrive next week.

On a totally different note - we drove through Monbulk last week and I am really envious if that is still where you are thinking of living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.