Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

washing, humidity & rain arghhhhh

washing, humidity & rain arghhhhh

Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light
Default washing, humidity & rain arghhhhh

Hi

we are in townsville where its humid, its raining at mo (and has been for the last few days and prob will b for the nxt few weeks) ive been drying washing under the fan but its making everything in the house feel damp, apart from spending money on a tumble dryer does anyone have any tips that will stop making everything damp last thing we need is mould.

And tips on how to get rid of ants arghhhhhhhhhh

thanks

suexx
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:14 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: washing, humidity & rain arghhhhh

Originally Posted by suesk

thanks

suexx
Have you tried a pest controller ? Our annual pest control was done a short time ago, and he gave me some special powder, for the bigger ants, which seems to have killed of the nest in the garden (these were the stinging ants, which were a real pain (physically).

The amount he gave me should last years

Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:10 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a Tumble Drier is the way to go or do you have an undercover area such as a Balcony that catches a breeze? What do your Neighbours do?

I use my Tumble drier here......not so much to dry the clothes, but to soften them when they dry too rapidly

Laundry is a different science here, and it was one of the things that really upset me when we first arrived......finding a good detergent, missing 'that Persil/Comfort smell, fading of my favourite clothes etc, etc, ect!

Washing you all the best

Jan
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have you tried a pest controller ? Our annual pest control was done a short time ago, and he gave me some special powder, for the bigger ants, which seems to have killed of the nest in the garden (these were the stinging ants, which were a real pain (physically).

The amount he gave me should last years

I have a friend in the business i think its time for a call thanks for the advice much appreciated. we seem to have the tiny tiny ants been told they r called ghost ants but the last few days the normal black buggers r every where. opened the sugar jar a few days ago it was crawling hasten to add it all went into the bin yuk. Forgot to say we are in a rental property and have been here for almost 18mths in that time no pest control has been done and was told by the agent that its our responsibility not homeowners.

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
Sounds like a Tumble Drier is the way to go or do you have an undercover area such as a Balcony that catches a breeze? What do your Neighbours do?

I use my Tumble drier here......not so much to dry the clothes, but to soften them when they dry too rapidly

Laundry is a different science here, and it was one of the things that really upset me when we first arrived......finding a good detergent, missing 'that Persil/Comfort smell, fading of my favourite clothes etc, etc, ect!

Washing you all the best

Jan
I didnt really want to go spending money as im out of work at the mo but looks like i wont have much of an option lol. We have a covered patio area its just when u do put the airer out there the clothes dont dry coz the air is so damp anyway. god id kill 4 a radiator just to dry the washing ok so we would melt lol but it works.

I have to agree with the persil and comfort statement its surpriseing wot things u miss.

Thank u both for your replys

suexx

Last edited by suesk; Jan 28th 2010 at 11:40 pm. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Move to Perth, washing dries in 10 mins here in summer
Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suesk
Hi

thanks

suexx
Mix 2 cups of sugar with 2 tablespoons of borax powder & 1 cup of boiling water.

You can also sprinkle borax around the ants nest.

Please note; Borax is toxic to both humans & pets if swallowed, so care must be taken when using this product.

If you know where they are coming in, sprinkle the entrance with talcum powder.

Both methods have worked well but we don't have high humidity which may set the powder.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne UK to Helensville Nz to Secret Harbour Perth WA
donki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Move to Perth, washing dries in 10 mins here in summer
that is one super thing about living in Perth.... bed clothes washed dried and ironed back on bed (thats befoe 9am)

i also find a nice smell combo is Omo (aussie equiv to Persil) backed up by the new Fluffy indulgence range oriental or passion