Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning WESTPAC!

Warning WESTPAC!

Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:33 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all
Default Re: Warning WESTPAC!

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
It's funny the number of people that work for banks and wouldn't recommend them. I'd keep looking for a bank not mentioned in your post
Hi Vim,
I do work for Commonwealth Bank, And I can only say good things about them, There are some good accounts they have and the staff I have had the pleasure of dealing with have been really helpful and good at there job, Yes there will always be some who are not good. But you will find them everywhere and in every company.
If customers have a complaint I can honestly say they are dealt with fairly. We are told to try and educate people about accounts. A lot of expats do not realise about the account keeping fees that most banks in Australia have.
All I can say is try Commonwealth they might suprise you.
Gary ( This is my opion not the banks!!!!)
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Commonwealth are terrible, would not touch them Annie.
What about Bank of Queensland or a credit union ?

How's the nose ?!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
From personal experience of Easy Jet, I was very impressed with their service. The people they showed on that programme were unbelievably stupid and rude. The customer service have to deal with ridiculous comments and have always (IMO) dealt with them politely. Don't assume what a programme shows is the truth. It's edited heavily but the stupid people still look stupid.

What have Polish people got to do with it?

My initial point was not saying I thought EasyJet were involved, just that Luton is known for the scum that copy and sell credit cards. EasyJet are based in Luton, therefore it sort of indirectly makes sense that copied cards could end up in Luton and people from there may want to travel with a cheap airline.

Whatever the case, it's totally out of order for nothing to be done. Glittababe, it could be worth emailing Beds Constabulary and explain what has happened with your card. Tell them the fraud case is being dealt with but that they may be interested to know that scammers have purchased these tickets and that others have had the same problem. They could be interested. But you know all that already

Can tell you are no longer in the UK - there are loads and loads and loads of Asylum Seekers here! You phone Easyjet and you get through to Polish staff who can barely speak English! Often fraud is inside jobs. Easy Jet might be in Luton - but so are lots and lots of other Companies! Is is just a co-incidence that it just happens to be Easy Jet - are they just a popular target! I did not say that IT WAS the POLISH who committed the fraud!

But heck - makes me think - I'd love to go to Aussie on a reccie - lets find a card and make someone else pay eh - after all we're sure to get away with it doh! (I wouldn't really do this of course!)

Everyone to their own - just my own opinion - which we are all entitled to. Think I should keep my dosh in a safe at home - safer that way!

Last edited by Devonfamily; Mar 12th 2008 at 12:07 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
Commonwealth are terrible, would not touch them Annie.
What about Bank of Queensland or a credit union ?

How's the nose ?!
The nose is good,bruising still there (on day 12 post op now), you'll have to pop over to see it. SJ came up a few days ago and nearly cried when she saw me (sympathy)! All my friends are chuffed with it as they can see the difference already. Its still swollen so i can't see the result!

Mark was thinking of joining the police credit union, only there aren't many offices (one in Brisbane) and he thinks the ATM charges will amount to a lot. Bank of Queensland - nearest one for us is Tewantin and boy that advert where the manager is begging for business really puts us off! Still thinking about citibank or suncorp?
Old Mar 12th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devonfamily
Can tell you are no longer in the UK - there are loads and loads and loads of Asylum Seekers here! You phone Easyjet and you get through to Polish staff who can barely speak English! Often fraud is inside jobs. Easy Jet might be in Luton - but so are lots and lots of other Companies! Is is just a co-incidence that it just happens to be Easy Jet - are they just a popular target! I did not say that IT WAS the POLISH who committed the fraud!

But heck - makes me think - I'd love to go to Aussie on a reccie - lets find a card and make someone else pay eh - after all we're sure to get away with it doh! (I wouldn't really do this of course!)

Everyone to their own - just my own opinion - which we are all entitled to. Think I should keep my dosh in a safe at home - safer that way!

keeping dosh at home is working for us. Cos of whats happened, we've withdrawn our money from our account to keep it empty. Mark hates carrying around cash but I think this week wee've actually saved money. Sounds odd, but we withdrew his pay, paid all the nessessary bills etc in cash over the counter, then what we've had left we used for groceries, school trips etc. Usually, we'd use EFPOS all the time - and keep spending, this week, cos we can visibly see the cash we've been budgetting!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Hi Vim,
I do work for Commonwealth Bank, And I can only say good things about them, There are some good accounts they have and the staff I have had the pleasure of dealing with have been really helpful and good at there job, Yes there will always be some who are not good. But you will find them everywhere and in every company.
If customers have a complaint I can honestly say they are dealt with fairly. We are told to try and educate people about accounts. A lot of expats do not realise about the account keeping fees that most banks in Australia have.
All I can say is try Commonwealth they might suprise you.
Gary ( This is my opion not the banks!!!!)
Hi Gary hows it goin?

I think that Tassie Banks are probably a bit different to the mainland, due to the smaller population. I am with Westpac here and have a one to one relationship with the Bank Manager purely business ofcourse! lol She has explained everything for me and if I don't understand something she has been more than willing to go over it again for me. Of course it is early days yet and I don't have a credit card with them, not planning to either! It has been very refreshing coming from being just a bank account number in the UK to having the B. manager knowing your name and saying hello as you pass in the street
I have to say though I really feel for all those poor peeps that have been a victim of fraud, since reading this thread I have become somewhat paranoid and will be checking my accounts here and in the UK on a regular basis!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
keeping dosh at home is working for us. Cos of whats happened, we've withdrawn our money from our account to keep it empty. Mark hates carrying around cash but I think this week wee've actually saved money. Sounds odd, but we withdrew his pay, paid all the nessessary bills etc in cash over the counter, then what we've had left we used for groceries, school trips etc. Usually, we'd use EFPOS all the time - and keep spending, this week, cos we can visibly see the cash we've been budgetting!
Now you'll get burgled

Think a big consideration in picking a bank, is one that has ATM's around your area!, loads of banks mentioned but so many done have branches or even ATM's and many now charge $2 a pop to withdraw money if you dont have use their machine. On that score Suncorp on the Coast, penninsula and brisbane have a massive amount of ATM's.

Last edited by jad n rich; Mar 12th 2008 at 9:32 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:03 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Can tell you are no longer in the UK - there are loads and loads and loads of Asylum Seekers here! You phone Easyjet and you get through to Polish staff who can barely speak English!
I can only assume the fact that you put these sentences together means that you think all the Polish people in the UK are asylum seekers????

I guess that must mean that I have claimed asylum in Australia, and so might you soon!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Now you'll get burgled

Think a big consideration in picking a bank, is one that has ATM's around your area!, loads of banks mentioned but so many done have branches or even ATM's and many now charge $2 a pop to withdraw money if you dont have use their machine. On that score Suncorp on the Coast, penninsula and brisbane have a massive amount of ATM's.
westpac have hardly any ATM's in this area - we've actually saved money by having cash (yep we're worried about getting burgled too), as we're not being charge $2 a time everytime we use a non westpac ATM! Last months charges amounted to $22!!!! I know it doesn't sound a lot, but that per month builds up! How about Heritage? I've only ever seen a handful of Heritage ATM's, but I'm sure they advertised they're do non fee banking??? Maybe I dreamt that - I'm having a lot of dreams at the mo involving money!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
I can only assume the fact that you put these sentences together means that you think all the Polish people in the UK are asylum seekers????

I guess that must mean that I have claimed asylum in Australia, and so might you soon!
Actually we have no need to be Asylum seekers!!! We are 2 highly skilled individuals with Degrees and good careers, a lovely home and contents which we have worked very very hard for. We are not looking for hand-outs - we would immigrate into Aus or any other country the appropriate way - and by paying our way to get there.

I'm not here for an Arguement - just voicing my opinion - which we are all entitled to!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:32 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Actually we have no need to be Asylum seekers!!! We are 2 highly skilled individuals with Degrees and good careers, a lovely home and contents which we have worked very very hard for. We are not looking for hand-outs - we would immigrate into Aus or any other country the appropriate way - and by paying our way to get there.

I'm not here for an Arguement - just voicing my opinion - which we are all entitled to!
I think you will struggle to find a Polish asylum seeker.......they have no need to claim asylum, as EU citizens they are entitled to live and work in the UK. These people are simply migrants, as you will be.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

I think you will struggle to find a Polish asylum seeker.......they have no need to claim asylum, as EU citizens they are entitled to live and work in the UK. These people are simply migrants, as you will be.
I never said the POLISH were Asylum Seekers! I said there are loads and loads of Asylum seekers in the UK. Please I'm not here for an arguement - so quit man!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:34 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone know someone in the media who this thread could forwarded to? Sounds like this would make a great current affair program, with them doing all the work and investigating who is behind all the easyjet fraud.

SURELY someone at Easyjet or the police should take interest that this is happening!!?? What is the world coming too where people are being burgled (in a sense) and there is a chance of catching them red handed and the police aren't interested!

I mean - all the people who end up using these dodgy tickets - who are they and aren't they concerned about getting caught...Makes me think it is an inside job and a way for easyjet to up their profits...
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Dazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud of

Well said bc! This was a rather useful, intelligent thread until it, unfortunately, at one point became like reading BNP election material. I still can't fathom the direct link that seems to have been made between card fraud and Poles/asylum seekers - did I miss something

It seems obvious, to me at least, that people from Poland and asylum seekers are mutually exclusive - I guess not everyone makes the same distinction. Also, people from Poland are quite entitled to make their living here in the UK, just as many of us here are planning to do in Oz.

Hopefully the thread will get back to being the f**k WESTPAC thread it started out as
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I rarely use ATMs. I generally get some cash when Coles shopping or getting petrol. I don't think I'd go for a bank because of the number of ATMs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.