Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning WESTPAC!

Warning WESTPAC!

Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning WESTPAC!

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
Hope you get your money back soon GB. Mark had money taken off his business account with Abbey, but they refunded it quite quickly. Im paranoid about someone getting our details so check bank and credit card accounts almost daily. These thieving scumbags normally only do quite small transactions as they rely on people not checking and not noticing small amounts.

Definately complain to an ombudsman or whatever they have in Oz.

Joexx

ps we were thinking about opening a westpac account will have to find another now.
Thanks for that guys, will pop into ANZ tomorrow. Putting a complaint into Westpac, as it shouldn't happen and clearly has done to many more people than I thought (or was told) the girl stated it was very rare for these things to slip through the Falcon system, but it does miss things! I've got a good mind to call Easyjet, and do the same as Devonfamily. These people should be stopped at check in and arrested then and there. Still upset, still angry, want my money back.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:18 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by glittababe
Thanks for that guys, will pop into ANZ tomorrow. Putting a complaint into Westpac, as it shouldn't happen and clearly has done to many more people than I thought (or was told) the girl stated it was very rare for these things to slip through the Falcon system, but it does miss things! I've got a good mind to call Easyjet, and do the same as Devonfamily. These people should be stopped at check in and arrested then and there. Still upset, still angry, want my money back.
I can tell you from experience if this would happened at Commonwealth there would of been a lot more Sympathy and they would of got it sorted.
Commonwealth have been fine with me and the Net Bank saver account is a good way of keeping your money secure and at the moment it is paying 7%pa on all balances with no regular payment needed in to the account. Also they have more ATM's which with the $2 charge for using other ATM's is a god send.
This is just my opinion.
Regards
Gary
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:11 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Had a similar thing happen to me at National Bank Australia.

Did a transaction for 16EUR for accom in Greece and the buggars charged me that then another 1600EUR. I was travelling at the time and managed to log the complaint, took them about 4 months to dispute and sort it and in the meanwhile I got a bit angry with them as they were charging me interest and late payment fees, but in the end they refunded everything.

My advice is to get online and check your account often. Be careful which machines you put your card into - the fraudulent scanners are getting REALLY sophisicated now and sometimes is hard to tell if they have tampered with an ATM. Where possible get money out in banks and over the counters as supermarkets etc.

Alot of banks are starting to say you are not protected unless you get protection with them etc - I think it's going to get harder and harder to get money back in the future. We were discussing this as work and my boss used to be bank manager at Natwest told me banks will care about fraud if on a credit card (as technically the money is theirs) but not so much if it's 'your' money on a debit card.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:12 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes, I can, but whenever I recommend Citibank no-one seems to be interested so I've given up bothering. No charges for anything, can use any ATM in Australia, free online banking etc etc etc.

www.citibank.com.au

Buzzy
This looks very good. Fed up with trying to open an HSBC account. will look into this further.

M Thx.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:21 pm
doncaster....to....perth

midds will become famous soon enough

Sorry guys I know this is off the subject a bit, but I work in card services for a large diy company and we get fraudalant purchases all the time but if the delivery address is different to the billing address it is usually highlighted and stopped.

The thing that really winds me up is the fact that you have a thieving toe rags address for the police but you are not allowed to inform them due to data protection, and this same scum will be using the card somewhere else!! :curse:
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice

Originally Posted by midds
Sorry guys I know this is off the subject a bit, but I work in card services for a large diy company and we get fraudalant purchases all the time but if the delivery address is different to the billing address it is usually highlighted and stopped.

The thing that really winds me up is the fact that you have a thieving toe rags address for the police but you are not allowed to inform them due to data protection, and this same scum will be using the card somewhere else!! :curse:
Yeah - very clever Britain hey! Sometimes I wonder what the heck I'm doing in this place! But then again thats one of the reasons we are heading to Oz - as there are far too many incompetant individuals in places of Authority - never mind those walking the street!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midds

Amazing! I'd love to be at Luton airport when these guys/guy check in! Oh how I wish, but I know they're basically gonna get away with it I won't ever have a debit card again, checking my online statements daily now.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:19 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

thanks for all the really good advice on here guys, its particularly useful to us as we are currently trying to decide who to go with
bec
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:42 pm
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all

My friend, who has a Westpac account, recently checked her account and found that all her money had been taken out of her account!

She immediately got in touch with Westpac and had to deal with a very arrogant woman also! Not impressed. She had to run security software through her computer (supplied by Westpac) and then email the results to Westpac. She was told it could take up to 6 weeks to get her money back if fraud was proved. However she got all her money back within a week or so.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by seaangel
My friend, who has a Westpac account, recently checked her account and found that all her money had been taken out of her account!

She immediately got in touch with Westpac and had to deal with a very arrogant woman also! Not impressed. She had to run security software through her computer (supplied by Westpac) and then email the results to Westpac. She was told it could take up to 6 weeks to get her money back if fraud was proved. However she got all her money back within a week or so.
OMG! Thats REALLY scary! Thank God she got it all back!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:34 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by glittababe
Amazing! I'd love to be at Luton airport when these guys/guy check in! Oh how I wish, but I know they're basically gonna get away with it I won't ever have a debit card again, checking my online statements daily now.
Put a thread out asking for anyone near Luton to go down and reccie for you! Then call the cops and get em done!

I saw a program the other day about a woman who did it in the UK! She was fed up and took matters into her own hands and the theif got done for it.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

In the last few months we just changed our mortgage to Westpac and therefore all our accounts. We have had nothing but trouble with them and I would not recommend them. They have hardly any ATMs and their customer service is non-existant. ANZ are a much better choice and have ATMs everywhere !

Sorry to hear your news Annie. Hope it gets resolved. Will be checking the statements very carefully now !
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:53 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
Put a thread out asking for anyone near Luton to go down and reccie for you! Then call the cops and get em done!

I saw a program the other day about a woman who did it in the UK! She was fed up and took matters into her own hands and the theif got done for it.
Call the airline saying the passenger on that ticket is carrying a bomb!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advise guys, i will be looking at a different bank now

minibelle
Old Mar 12th 2008, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Call the airline saying the passenger on that ticket is carrying a bomb!
they could well be - after all they've stolen my money in order to buy their tickets!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.