Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanted Down Under - Series 6

[QUOTE=Tr1boy;9823160]I didn't feel that sorry for the guy.

To me this guy seemed more interested in thrusting ahead with his plan that he threw logic and reasoning out of the window. They've lost money on their house and that makes him more determined to move? I'd be more interested in keeping some family stability in difficult times.

It would make me more determined to move knowing im working 7 days a week 12 hour shifts and have ploughed all the money from a job I absolutely hate into a property which is worth no more than what I have spent on it! Infact they have probably made a loss. Pretty dis heartening stuff.

Also they have no family time at the momment due to the fact he is always working to keep them afloat...if the money he is chucking in isnt increasing the value of his property and her business (which is fully up and running) isnt giving them enough to survive on, surely you would stop and think.

On the other hand surely you would discuss before getting married where you want to live....is the city for you or the countryside. Maybe auz isnt for him , perhaps somewhere else in the U.K where her business is more needed to enable them to spend time together.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

It would make me more determined to move knowing im working 7 days a week 12 hour shifts and have ploughed all the money from a job I absolutely hate into a property which is worth no more than what I have spent on it! Infact they have probably made a loss. Pretty dis heartening stuff.

Also they have no family time at the momment due to the fact he is always working to keep them afloat...if the money he is chucking in isnt increasing the value of his property and her business (which is fully up and running) isnt giving them enough to survive on, surely you would stop and think.
OK, so how would moving to a country where they have no support network and both need to be working full time fix that situation exactly? He may hate his job on Shetland but earning less money in Oz plus the other added pressures would tarnish the shine off that.

I think the main problem is they are in a less than ideal situation now and would be moving to a less than ideal situation in Oz. There may be a move in their future but it doesn't seem to me that the time is right at the moment.

perhaps somewhere else in the U.K where her business is more needed to enable them to spend time together.
I thought that as well.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:40 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Homebird
Did anyone else find it strange that they could be £2000 better off per MONTH? ! ! Not sure their figures were correct ?
Yes I thought that wasn't quite correct as well.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cinderella
Yes I thought that wasn't quite correct as well.
Wasn't that down to them factoring in her working in Oz when she doesn't work here. Which seemed like a silly comparison to me.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:46 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissyb

Move job, yes!

I haven't seen the episode you're talking about but I know WDU peddles this notion that moving to Aus will give you better work/life balance...more family time. There's no evidence that that's true - for some people it would be and others not...but it had more to do with the personal responsibility they take with their job than the country they live in.

Of course there are people in exactly the scenario you describe in Australia too.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:46 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Wasn't that down to them factoring in her working in Oz when she doesn't work here. Which seemed like a silly comparison to me.
Maybe, but still think it was a lot.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:43 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

cant beleive they are still churning out these programs ... its the same old crap year after year!!
- families that dont seem to do any research on their prospective move,
- families that are all moving on the backing of finances from a house sale - dont recall seeing any programs that having families that are in the real world ie will be starting from scratch with only minimal finances behind them,
- showing properties that are not what the families want, and out of the 3 properties theres usualy one or two that are out of their price range,
- totally wrong or inacurate info about the areas they show

the only redeeming factor is the nice views of the various areas of aus ...
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
cant beleive they are still churning out these programs ... its the same old crap year after year!!
- families that dont seem to do any research on their prospective move,
- families that are all moving on the backing of finances from a house sale - dont recall seeing any programs that having families that are in the real world ie will be starting from scratch with only minimal finances behind them,
- showing properties that are not what the families want, and out of the 3 properties theres usualy one or two that are out of their price range,
- totally wrong or inacurate info about the areas they show

the only redeeming factor is the nice views of the various areas of aus ...
This is the first time I've watched any of them. On the house sale/finance issue, the impression I got was that their house valuation was what they would be basing the budget in Oz on for a mortgage. I am assuming they are talking about taking their equity over to Oz and getting a mortgage for a similar amount that they owe in the UK. Either that or a lot of young people have paid their house off mighty quick!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just managed to watch the first episode last night. It's really interesting now we are here in Perth to compare what it is they are saying - I lapped up this show when I was back in England thinking how *amazing* it would be to make the move.

My main problems with it:

Watermans Bay - is this really a 'short' drive from the airport?
Butler - is definitely not on the 'outskirts' of Perth City.
Yanchep - again, way out of Perth - like saying that Reading was in London.
They didn't show them ANY houses they could actually afford, £180k doesn't buy you a large family house in a nice area close to Perth - it needs to show them exactly what they get for that i.e. a 2 bed unit!

It also makes out that people can just walk into jobs, no problem at all. I'd think finding work as a painter and decorator would be quite hard considering he hasn't done it for a long time, and she needs to re-train!!

No wonder everyone in the UK wants to come out here when they show stuff like this.

And yes - guilty as charged - I was one of them!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Jord w will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nicolac34
Just managed to watch the first episode last night. It's really interesting now we are here in Perth to compare what it is they are saying - I lapped up this show when I was back in England thinking how *amazing* it would be to make the move.

They didn't show them ANY houses they could actually afford, £180k doesn't buy you a large family house in a nice area close to Perth - it needs to show them exactly what they get for that i.e. a 2 bed unit!

It also makes out that people can just walk into jobs, no problem at all. I'd think finding work as a painter and decorator would be quite hard considering he hasn't done it for a long time, and she needs to re-train!!

No wonder everyone in the UK wants to come out here when they show stuff like this.

So if your guilty as charged.... Does that mean your regretting it now?
I am
Considering a move in the next 12-24 months.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jord w
So if your guilty as charged.... Does that mean your regretting it now?
I am
Considering a move in the next 12-24 months.
No, we don't regret it at all now. But I now realise that Australia isn't this amazing uptopia that I had it built up to be. It's taken six months of being really dissppointed with the place (and feeling guilty for bringing my husband here who wasn't that keen) for us to really accept it for what it is and enjoy our new lives here.

As long as you listen to all the people who tell you it isn't going to be easy, and it's not like it is on the tv, then you'll be fine.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Jord w will become famous soon enough

Ok thanks for that, I understand it isnt a easy life in Australia and we both plan to work hard and try make it work if the move goes ahead. I have watched a few of these shows but more for seeing Australia
We are heading over December for 4 weeks to check the place out
It's nice to hear that you have now found your feet and making it work!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:56 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes the better work/life balance. Unless Australia actually has more hours in the day it is of course ridiculous to think you will have more free time or family time if you work the same hours. I have actually seen someone on these forums saying that although they work the same hours they have more time with the family here Time machine maybe ?

Originally Posted by bcworld
I haven't seen the episode you're talking about but I know WDU peddles this notion that moving to Aus will give you better work/life balance...more family time. There's no evidence that that's true - for some people it would be and others not...but it had more to do with the personal responsibility they take with their job than the country they live in.

Of course there are people in exactly the scenario you describe in Australia too.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Shorter commute? My husband works the same hours, but his commute is now 0 rather than 45 minutes each way.

(Although I agree with the central premise that the programme is nonsense. My parents watch it avidly and tell me what it says in a very authoratitive manner.......)

Last edited by Family of 3; Jan 6th 2012 at 6:24 am. Reason: typo
Old Jan 6th 2012, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

richie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nicolac34

great response, exactly why this show regardless of entertainment value isnt worth the air space!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.