Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

According to my sky + Amanda starts a place in the Sun USA tonight.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Yeah there was only 3 episodes airing of A Place In The Sun Down Under, its USA now
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Jenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura about

Unfortunately I missed this post following my previously replies but after reading, now felt that I had to reply.

WDU is to make comparisons to living in Oz compared to UK, surely if we said the UK had no problems it would make us look very shallow and make a mockery of why Australia is being considered for a lifestyle change for us. Everyone has different reasons for wanting the move.

In relation to "a little less ranting about the UK", you may find it hard to believe but we actually LOVE Liverpool and the UK and are proud to be British and will continue to. There are a lot of GOOD people here and it is the minority who are doing the damage. Why should we be made to accept it?

With all due respect, we are probably some of the few people who have constantly invested back into our country by exploring and holidaying in the UK, having covered somewhere in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland every year, ensuring our children have been told the history, how much people have given, some with their lives and how much this country has to offer. However, I challenge anyone living in the UK not to have something they are not happy with, especially as many are suffering from the recession in many ways or suffering the consequences of crime, violence, etc. Also as parents, we have a duty to do the best for our children. We are fully aware however, that Australia is now being hit like most by the recession and we are worried of the effect it may have on the move but hopefully the time will be right for us.

Why, oh why, are so many Brits making the move abroad then? It seems that investing in the UK by working and paying their way is rewarded by being put upon even more. What incentive is there? How demoralising for more workers everyday, now losing their jobs and possibly their homes through no fault of their own (although I do agree some are), after working hard. No one is exempt, it can happen to anyone.

We all have our own personal reasons (some too many to mention) why we are looking to go to Australia and we are no different from anyone else.

In reply to saying we "will look awfully silly if it doesn't work out and you have to return some day" we think the opposite, as we will have taken a chance in life, we were lucky enough to have been given and if Oz doesn't work out for us, we are big enough to say to tried but it wasn't to be for us, more than can be said for most. "I can accept failure, everyone fails at something but I can't accept, not trying". It's no use looking back at your life with regrets!

WE KNOW we would be welcomed back and would be wanted by the people who really matter to us. Majority of people we have spoken to, not just friends and family, have said the same as us. It is probably that kind of comment that makes it hard for people to make the return journey, as they would be considered failures. How sad is that? You tend to learn by your own mistakes, not by others. Hopefully, this wouldn't be a mistake for us.

Why would we look stupid if we have tried? It is usually people who have not experienced 'anything outside the box' who have that opinion. "You're never a loser until you quit trying".

You only live once, ENJOY!

Originally Posted by Grayling
.....and, if you are in the public eye, I suggest a little less ranting about the UK.

You will look awfully silly if it doesn't work out and you have to return some day.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Eammon is on a distinguished road

Hi Jenny

Just wanted to say best of luck to you all. I think most of us are aware that once we get across to Australia, we're going to have to work as hard, if not harder, to set up a new a life. and it's not all going to be a bed of roses.

But it's so important to do what is right for yourself and your family and if things didn't happen to work out at least you can say you gave it a go, rather than spending your life thinking what if and if only.

Denise x
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Originally Posted by Eammon
Hi Jenny

Just wanted to say best of luck to you all. I think most of us are aware that once we get across to Australia, we're going to have to work as hard, if not harder, to set up a new a life. and it's not all going to be a bed of roses.

But it's so important to do what is right for yourself and your family and if things didn't happen to work out at least you can say you gave it a go, rather than spending your life thinking what if and if only.

Denise x
Thanks for your best wishes, the same to you hope it all works out well for you.

I agree in saying we will have to work harder to make it work but look at the benefits we'll receive! Also that's why they make it so hard to get in, they only want people who will work, contribute and make it thrive.

Life can be hard no matter where you are but if you can enjoy and appreciate the good times, it makes it all worthwhile.

All the very best to all brave enough to make the move, especially in the times we're in and facing, it's probably harder now.

Jenny x
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough

Hey Jenny,
Loved your episode, I thought you all came across as really sensible people, and that you were really thinking the whole thing through, unlike some of the others who have been on the programme.

Have you got any further in your application yet? We are going for a Spouse Visa as I have Australian Citizenship by descent (thanks Dad!). Police Checks for OH and no 3 son came through yesterday, so visa going off once I have completed the mammoth amount of paperwork!

Good luck to you and your family in all you do in the future. It is lovely to be able to talk to TV stars online!!

Take care, Lou xxx
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Originally Posted by Aussie4me
Hey Jenny,
Loved your episode, I thought you all came across as really sensible people, and that you were really thinking the whole thing through, unlike some of the others who have been on the programme.

Have you got any further in your application yet? We are going for a Spouse Visa as I have Australian Citizenship by descent (thanks Dad!). Police Checks for OH and no 3 son came through yesterday, so visa going off once I have completed the mammoth amount of paperwork!

Good luck to you and your family in all you do in the future. It is lovely to be able to talk to TV stars online!!

Take care, Lou xxx
Thanks again. We tried our best to highlight the basics of what people need to know, just a shame you couldn't see all of it!

All this praise and we won't be able to get our heads through the plane door!
We'll have to pay extra for luggage!

Update so far - Dave initiated his application before early Dec 08 and has his Skills Test booked early April, then the work really starts, paperwork etc. Not really looking forward to it but we're sure it will be worth it in the long run.

We know that one of the families from this series have already gone to New Zealand and I'm sure we all wish them the very best of luck with their dream.

We'll keep you informed of our progress, enjoying this forum too much!

Don't know about TV stars though!! We're not worthy!! We're no different now to how we we're when we went over, except we've been bitten by the 'Aussie' bug.

Nothing will change The Hughes' - What you see is what you get!!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough

Well. I think you are worthy of TV star, compared to some who have that monniker!!!! We were definitely going to go to NSW or SA, but now seriously thinking about NT - but some places look VERY remote...there's getting away from things and then there is SERIOUSLY ISOLATED! Some places we looked at had the magnificent population of 70.... I think that is too remote even for me!
BTW have sent you some karma to send you on your way to Aus. Glad to know you are as addicted to this forum as I am - I should be planning for tomorrow at school but this is much more fun! Keep us updated! Love Lou xxx
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

WOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant future

I watched "Wanted Down Under - Revisited" this morning and I spent most of the programme shouting at the tv - it's so annoying! :curse:

The people had a budget of £165k and were shown a house for £195k, which of course they fell in love with, so when they were shown one for £25k UNDER budget (which was a bit grotty but had lots of potential to be a great family home in a great location, especially as they'd have £25k cash to play around with to do it up), they hated it.

Then the lady found out she couldn't get year-round work (as a marine biologist) so they'd have to recalculate their budget to be based purely on her husband's wage - this annoyed me because they'd already said they wanted to start a family, so her wage should be out of the equation anyway! How mad to stretch yourself to get a house you can only just afford, when you know that you'll be losing one wage at some point when you get pregnant??

Sorry for ranting, it's just impossible to watch that show and keep quiet!

WombatGirl
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:16 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WOMBATGIRL
I watched "Wanted Down Under - Revisited" this morning and I spent most of the programme shouting at the tv - it's so annoying! :curse:

The people had a budget of £165k and were shown a house for £195k, which of course they fell in love with, so when they were shown one for £25k UNDER budget (which was a bit grotty but had lots of potential to be a great family home in a great location, especially as they'd have £25k cash to play around with to do it up), they hated it.

Then the lady found out she couldn't get year-round work (as a marine biologist) so they'd have to recalculate their budget to be based purely on her husband's wage - this annoyed me because they'd already said they wanted to start a family, so her wage should be out of the equation anyway! How mad to stretch yourself to get a house you can only just afford, when you know that you'll be losing one wage at some point when you get pregnant??

Sorry for ranting, it's just impossible to watch that show and keep quiet!

WombatGirl
Just so you know, that particular couple are BE members so be careful what you say.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was a great update. What a shame they couldn't sell their UK house but what a great start to their new lives. I am sure, from their posts that this couple would not make rash financial decisions - the program makers do have the habit of creating drama where there is none.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I thought it was a great update. What a shame they couldn't sell their UK house but what a great start to their new lives. I am sure, from their posts that this couple would not make rash financial decisions - the program makers do have the habit of creating drama where there is none.
I have to agree Fly, the 2 updates I have seen so far have given more info about really what it can be like to emigrate, good and bad.
It is nice to catch up and see that it works for some, I will also watch and enjoy any that are shown that show that staying in the UK was the best option.

Johnnyyt
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
I have to agree Fly, the 2 updates I have seen so far have given more info about really what it can be like to emigrate, good and bad.
It is nice to catch up and see that it works for some, I will also watch and enjoy any that are shown that show that staying in the UK was the best option.

Johnnyyt
Thanks Johnny, the Larners were great too. So good to see that it can work out for people even when there are set backs and problems. Poor Larners having 3 sales fall through. I hope this last one goes through for them.

Incidentally, Bix was at the BBQ for Foxyruthie and they cut him out!! I was looking forward to seeing him!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

divaboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Just seen this episode also , I thought it was good to see them both getting on with there new life over just like the other couple the day before
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by divaboy
Just seen this episode also , I thought it was good to see them both getting on with there new life over just like the other couple the day before
Me too. I remember liking them when I saw their first programme and I am really glad it is all working out for them. Hope our move (when we finally get there) is as successful. Lou x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.