Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under

Wanted Down Under

Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
You mean Pauline Fowler isn’t really dead?

Mikey
No idea. Don't watch the crap. She was having a baby last time I saw it.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:30 am

Nat12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry but I like it lol!!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nat12
Sorry but I like it lol!!
So do millions of others apparently. Doesn't mean you're right though
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:57 am

Nat12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
So do millions of others apparently. Doesn't mean you're right though
Probably not
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:03 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

I watched one on the Gold Coast last week, and Sarah was presenting the show standing in front of the Opera House. I was a little confused, I thought the Opera House was in Sydney?!

The family were shown around a huge house (with pool of course) in a gated community with a LOT of land attached. They were told that its not unusual for a house to have 3 acres attached and the worst they could expect was the odd Koala in the trees !!!!!!

I actually choked on my tea!

Nic
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:22 am
LHD
Just Joined

LHD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
I watched one on the Gold Coast last week, and Sarah was presenting the show standing in front of the Opera House. I was a little confused, I thought the Opera House was in Sydney?!

The family were shown around a huge house (with pool of course) in a gated community with a LOT of land attached. They were told that its not unusual for a house to have 3 acres attached and the worst they could expect was the odd Koala in the trees !!!!!!

Nic
I saw this one...... what would the reality be? Serious question..... I've not been over to Oz yet and would really love to know how much of what we are told is true.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 10:36 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LHD
I saw this one...... what would the reality be? Serious question..... I've not been over to Oz yet and would really love to know how much of what we are told is true.
Just google estate agents in the area you would like to live. You will find lots of property on the market, but to get the sort of home Sarah would have you believe is the 'norm', you would have to stretch your budget a little, Unless you want to live 200kms north of Cooper Pedy (No offence intended, Cooper is a perfectly nice and friendly town - if you grew up there!)

All we are saying is that Sarah makes it look like to move to Oz, get a huge house (with pool of course) and a high paying executive job, is a doddle. The show is - (in my very humble opinion) irresponsible.

Nic
Old Sep 11th 2008, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

stepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Please remember when commenting on the families themselves that a lot of those involved in this type of programme are BE posters.
Sorry I wasn't meaning the families so much as the programs researchers, I can't understand why the program would play with peoples lives in such a blase manner.

I don't know the whole process as I've never applied, but the program shows it in such a carefree manner as though it is just a case of packing a suitcase & hopping on a plane. From the discussions on this site it is clear that it isn't just as easy as that. Do they actually spend time with the family before hand to explain what is involved both emotionally & financially, and if they do why do they not choose to show any of that? I've yet to see a program portraying a realistic view for people planning to move to Oz.

I would be interested to hear the views of people who have taken part in the program and whether they felt it helped or hindered them.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

stepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nice

Originally Posted by LHD
I would have to agree with Nic if you are interested in a move google or asking on here would give you a much more realistic view than WDU. I know when we first moved out I was 11 & was promised a swimming pool by my parents (the only way they were going to get me to leave my friends & family) who obviously thought that everyone in Oz had a pool and I know that we had great difficulty finding a suitable home with a pool. No matter how much my parents tried to make me believe, I can assure you playing with a hose was no substitute for a pool

If you're not sure what sort of area you should be looking at try asking for things that are of interest to you, no matter what you ask for someone will have been in a similar position & could give you advice. That's not to say that it will be ideal for you but at least it would point you in the right sort of direction.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Hi we did pilot show its amazing how they cut & change things, some days you are asked to be positive & some negative. One of the houses we viewed had a bomb shelter built underground they didnt show that & they didnt show the camera crew getting washed up on the beach at noosa it was so funny, if any one get the chance to do it, try & get them to book your flight home a couple of weeks after filming has finished & use it as a reci gary
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by calNgary
Hi we did pilot show its amazing how they cut & change things, some days you are asked to be positive & some negative. One of the houses we viewed had a bomb shelter built underground they didnt show that & they didnt show the camera crew getting washed up on the beach at noosa it was so funny, if any one get the chance to do it, try & get them to book your flight home a couple of weeks after filming has finished & use it as a reci gary
Glad to hear it from a different perspective. Did you find the whole process helpful for you then or had you made up your mind before you went? I've got to say I love the idea of a bomb shelter and I laughed out loud at the thought of the crew shipwrecked (so do you want to live as a shipwreck survivor or would you prefer your life in the UK? ) Wish they would do a sort of warts n all version or behind the scenes just to see the difference.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by The O'Neills

Nic
Good grief, where was that Gated community houses tend (generalisation alert) to be on very small blocks of land. They moved the Opera House the other week. Never made the news though, the olympic swimmers won a gold medal on the same day
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepbeanie
Sorry I wasn't meaning the families so much as the programs researchers, I can't understand why the program would play with peoples lives in such a blase manner.

I don't know the whole process as I've never applied, but the program shows it in such a carefree manner as though it is just a case of packing a suitcase & hopping on a plane. From the discussions on this site it is clear that it isn't just as easy as that. Do they actually spend time with the family before hand to explain what is involved both emotionally & financially, and if they do why do they not choose to show any of that? I've yet to see a program portraying a realistic view for people planning to move.
It really does it annoy me that they dont mention anything about the difficulties of applying, the cost, the stress.

My family have all watched these programs and think its so easy for me to get to Oz.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Bag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
It really does it annoy me that they dont mention anything about the difficulties of applying, the cost, the stress.

My family have all watched these programs and think its so easy for me to get to Oz.
Well I spoke to my nana last night and she asked about the visa (we're still waiting ) and she suggested that we went to Australia House where a nice lady will ask us if we want to live in the country, the city or on the coast and show us what it would be like!!! She actually thought that the whole Nadia Swalaha thing was part of the visa process!!! I did try to explain but I don't think she got it. Bless her!

Alex
Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

sapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the rough

Who is Sarah?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.