Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under 2010

Wanted Down Under 2010

Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Wanted Down Under 2010

Originally Posted by JenJen
This program has grated on me today.

WHY is the program so restrictive???????

By the time you've sold you're house, paid for flights, shipping ? renting cars etc? that is a chunk out of what your house is worth too i'm surprised they havent mentioned that.

Alot of people i've known who've moved out there haven't bought a house even within a year of arriving.

Yes you do have to look at the properties for sale cause at some point you MIGHT want to buy and it'd be terrible to get settled renting somewhere to have to move out the area and start again so to speak.
But some people rent out there for years before buying which puts a different spin on things and especially finances.......
Also if one area doesn't necessarily agree with your life or finances you look at another surely???

As Mr JenJen said last night some people have moved out there with very little money and rented and built up they're life and now have a nice house, car etc.
yes in an ideal world it would be great to move out there and be mortgage free or whatever and have the 'ideal' house and garden, in a lovely area 10 steps to the beach with a cafe 5 steps that way.
GET A GRIP BBC, my god if most ppl wanting to emigrate based it on the BBc's version of events it would prob dramatically cut the amount of ppl moving.

As far as i'm concerned if you're thinking about going and living over there the first thing you do is lookat wether you could work over there and how much you would earn and living costs, if that doesn't add up it was still just at the idea stage.
Well said!!!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanted Down Under 2010

Originally Posted by Alfresco
The fruit looks seriously huge in Perth.

I've never seen strawbs that big.
Strawberries are bloody awful in Oz. They are huge, but they grow so fast that there is little taste to them. Very much like the strawberries you get in the UK that have been shipped in from Spain.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:00 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
The fruit looks seriously huge in Perth.

I've never seen strawbs that big.
Did you see the price of bread on that episode? Roughly £2.50 a loaf . The breadmaker is definately going with us! Anyone know how much a kilogram of breadmaking flour costs in Aus?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

LoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Aw it is New Zealand today.
Thats how I felt
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Did you see the price of bread on that episode? Roughly £2.50 a loaf . The breadmaker is definately going with us! Anyone know how much a kilogram of breadmaking flour costs in Aus?
You can get "value" bread (thick white sliced) from Woolworths for $1.09 or if you want a name brand bread (both taste the same to me!) then it's normally 2 for $5.50
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:24 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
You can get "value" bread (thick white sliced) from Woolworths for $1.09 or if you want a name brand bread (both taste the same to me!) then it's normally 2 for $5.50
Descriptove today they're spending a week in the country??? That could be anywhere ?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:51 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paulry
Ha Ha.... You will find once your here that the price of bread changes from 1 day to the next. One day it will be $3/$4 a loaf & the next day it will be on special at $2!!!! Thats only approx £1ish (cheaper than the uk)... We found that when we 1st arrived everything was ridiculously expensive but as we have settled down (11 weeks here) it really isnt that bad....
Old Jan 8th 2010, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Elmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to all

Right its definate.....Im going to stop watching this programme!! Its not realistic and its just depressing me!!

Why do none of these people even think about their families until they get out there????? surely they know before they go that they are going to miss folk?????

Guess its a good way to get a free hol tho!!

AAAARRRGGHHH its fostering doubts!!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

MacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really nice

So glad I am not the only one thinking this programme is not all that, watched the first three episodes and hated it, A Place in the Sun: Down Under looks better (even though it mainly focuses on houses, but does have interviews with expats in Australia ).
Old Jan 8th 2010, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is a lot more realistic this year than last year. I am sure last year was all about being able to buy fantastic houses for next to nothing and it being really cheap to live there. I think everyone this week has said it is more expensive than the UK - which is what I hear on BE, although I don't know for myself yet. I am glad my husband is watching as he doesn't come on here and seems to think it will be really cheap to live in a huge house overlooking the ocean.

I agree the family thing is a bit obvious, samey and wearing thin now.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Wanted Down Under 2010

Originally Posted by aussiedreamer
Hi

Jenjen - Yes we are on a revisited. Most of us have settled, food order has changed slightly OH still at the end though as he's old enough and big enough to cope.

Lyx - Yes that was me and at the end of the day they are there to make a programme so if your willing to take the freebie holiday then you have got to accept the editing, though when it first went out it was tough to read some of the comments on here (10 days 8 hours per day filming) They have a lot to go at and my angle was leaving my horses. Made me look at Big Brother in a totally different light.

It goes to air on the 11/2 so all of you in the UK will see it before I do so please be nice.

J
We'll definitely be watching!!!

Looking forward to it!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elmo2552
Right its definate.....Im going to stop watching this programme!! Its not realistic and its just depressing me!!

Why do none of these people even think about their families until they get out there????? surely they know before they go that they are going to miss folk?????

Guess its a good way to get a free hol tho!!

AAAARRRGGHHH its fostering doubts!!
These programmes are edited edited & edited again.
You can still watch it if you remember the BBC did not produce them as a service to the people who are serious about emigration. They are not educational. It is supposed light entertainment. Are we really bothered that much about the price of an ice cream cone in Perth
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

katinda81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
These programmes are edited edited & edited again.
You can still watch it if you remember the BBC did not produce them as a service to the people who are serious about emigration. They are not educational. It is supposed light entertainment. Are we really bothered that much about the price of an ice cream cone in Perth
Yes, this is so true! I saw the episode where the ice cream cone was mentioned - as if it was some sort of shocking revelation. All I was thinking was that maybe that particular ice cream stand was just more expensive than others, jeez.

It's a shame it is just light entertainment...I think many people would be very interested to watch a program that was entertaining but also reflected realities and helped people to understand what you REALLY have to go through when looking to migrate...which won't be based on ice cream.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Shame they didn't give todays slot to people who hadn't arranged most of it themselves.

Mr JenJen went absolutely larey at the £30000 salary wasn't enough for him in Oz but said he thought in this country they earnt £55,000? BUT THAT'S BASED ON THEM BOTH EARNING !!!! HELLOOOOOOOOO Surely if they both worked out there it would be better.

He started off as a nurse ??? was it?

I'm sorry but be realistic people if you're thinking about emigrating over to Australia you may have to go backwards jobwise and possibly financially to begin with - work your way up and that is the price you pay for wanting 'better weather' and a different lifestyle.

If you want the same life with better weather get a tanning machine thing in your house decorate the walls in a sunny colour get a yellow rollerblind and a lightbox.

Above all BBC stop wasting my viewing time under a duvet with popcorn and put on some ppl who haven't already arranged most of it themselves.

I can cope with the moaning as I'd moan given the limited BBC ideal properties to look at - most of them I wouldn't put my dog in.
Alot of what they set up for ppl is crap I think they should pay for they're flights help them look for employers and give them 3 - 4 AREAS to look at rental and property an then it will be not so much entertainment but a relaistic emigration program

Sorry BBC but I can't take you serisouly.

THANK YOU
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

The thing that p*sses me and the OH off and I don't know if anyone's already mentioned it but why do they always have to buy a house? why can't they rent!? surely not everone goes over there and wants to buy a house straight away. (sorry if im repeating someone - I skipped some pages )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.