Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Want to move back to Aus

Want to move back to Aus

Old Mar 29th 2021, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to Aus

Originally Posted by bs_wave
I'm sorry but Brexit has absolutely no relevance to this discussion about British nationals wanting to relocate to Australia. For many people, getting an Australian work visa is more difficult than it is to get a work visa in many European Union countries, because the eligibility criteria under Australian immigration law is very strict. Therefore, how can Brexit possibly cause a massive influx of Brits relocating to Australia when the barriers to entry are as high as they were before.
Sounds like somebody's nerve got touched there.

Eligibility for Australian work visas may not have changed, but fluency in English is an element of the skills-based scoring system, which (one would hope ) would offer some relative advantage to British nationals looking to make the move. Meanwhile Oz remains part of the Commonwealth, still tugs the forelock to the Royal Family (though it escapes me why), and boasts considerably better weather than Old Blighty.

The real question is whether Brexit has generated even greater disappointment in the result than predicted, especially among footloose youngsters, and that therefore the supply of potential British national emigrants may have increase.

It's impossible to tell at the moment, with Covid-19 wreaking havoc on emigration plans worldwide. But if there is an uptick in emigration from the UK, Australia will be happy to receive it.

Last edited by abner; Mar 29th 2021 at 6:09 am.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Sounds like somebody's nerve got touched there.

Eligibility for Australian work visas may not have changed, but fluency in English is an element of the skills-based scoring system, which (one would hope ) would offer some relative advantage to British nationals looking to make the move. Meanwhile Oz remains part of the Commonwealth, still tugs the forelock to the Royal Family (though it escapes me why), and boasts considerably better weather than Old Blighty.

The real question is whether Brexit has generated even greater disappointment in the result than predicted, especially among footloose youngsters, and that therefore the supply of potential British national emigrants may have increase.

It's impossible to tell at the moment, with Covid-19 wreaking havoc on emigration plans worldwide. But if there is an uptick in emigration from the UK, Australia will be happy to receive it.
Language fluency is a policy much of the western world has adapted. In the case of Australia and having English as the national language , it is of some doubt if (being a world language) make a lot of difference. Most likely countries in the neighbourhood will continue to increase dominance in immigration numbers with little change Brexit or no Brexit. The Commonwealth plays little part outside of symbolism. I think it was Barbados that pulled out of it recently. With regards the weather, always a selling point for sun deprived Brit's, but other aspects with regards to living in Australia, I'd suggest requires seriously weighing up the options as to the feasibility of making a move. Hardly a clear cut decision in more recent times .
Old May 8th 2021, 2:45 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

OP
Everyone has a different view on UK vs Aus
What’s important here is your view. You are clearly not happy in the Uk, and from what I can gather are only staying for two reasons.
1. Family. This is hugely important and a good reason to stay if you have a close relationship with your family, if you’re only seeing them now and again then you need to really think about that.
2. Having kids. My experience of Australia has been good in terms of schooling for eldest but not my youngest. This would have been exactly the same in the UK. I only got 3 months maternity leave in the UK as a nurse. No idea what it’s like now.

The things you find hard about the UK are the same things I did. Firstly, the weather. People love to downplay this but the fact remains that Britain is a rainy little island due to its position. The grey skies used to really get me down.
The financial impact also cannot be ignored, I’m sure that are lots of people on here who are better off in the UK. My husband and I weren’t. We are far better off here and have more disposable income.
If you are unhappy then just make the move. Life is too short not to.

Edit to say: there are things I miss about the UK and Ireland (I lived in both). The main things being family, and the week running up to Christmas. But my life here overall is just so much better due to the weather and the financial situation.
i’m just looking forward to the pandemic being managed so I can get back and see my family.

Last edited by Kapri; May 8th 2021 at 3:00 am.
Old May 8th 2021, 10:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
i’m just looking forward to the pandemic being managed so I can get back and see my family.
To anyone considering moving to Australia now, I would say exactly what my Aussie MiL said to me when I arrived in 2003.
"What will you do when you aren't allowed to go back to the UK ever again?"
At the time, I laughed & said that would never happen, I could fly back and see my family whenever I wanted to.
Now I wonder if she could see into the future.
Old May 8th 2021, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
To anyone considering moving to Australia now, I would say exactly what my Aussie MiL said to me when I arrived in 2003.
At the time, I laughed & said that would never happen, I could fly back and see my family whenever I wanted to.
Good point, and it is a very pertinent one. I am chafing at the bit to go home for a sanity hit. In some ways I am grateful that my parents died when they did - dad would have been very anxious had we not got back to see him within the year. Mum would have just been plain old intolerant of Covid like she was with much else in her life. My aunt, too, died in December 2019 and I am glad that she didnt have to go through it. I dislike having my freedom curtailed!
Old May 9th 2021, 12:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

No she couldn't. This current overreaction will end but in the meantime, if you want to leave, go via Auckland.
Old May 9th 2021, 1:51 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Surely for many (though of course not for all) there comes a point in time where there is not much to go back to the UK for, or the sum of what we have here is greater than what remains in the UK?
Old May 9th 2021, 2:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Surely for many (though of course not for all) there comes a point in time where there is not much to go back to the UK for, or the sum of what we have here is greater than what remains in the UK?
All I have here is my job. When I can no longer work I will go home as there will be nothing left here for me.
Old May 9th 2021, 5:24 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

All I have here is my job. When I can no longer work I will go home as there will be nothing left here for me.
That sounds reasonable, though moving back to the UK as an elderly person without a large bucket of money and/or significant material support from friends or relatives could present a different set of challenges so I hope you have one or both of those. Doing some analysis recently on the state supports that pensioners get here in Australia, I'm left with the impression that Australia is a very much better place to grow old. It's a personal preference thing in many respects but I would hate to be elderly in the UK - except perhaps if I was wealthy too.
Old May 9th 2021, 7:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
That sounds reasonable, though moving back to the UK as an elderly person without a large bucket of money and/or significant material support from friends or relatives could present a different set of challenges so I hope you have one or both of those. Doing some analysis recently on the state supports that pensioners get here in Australia, I'm left with the impression that Australia is a very much better place to grow old. It's a personal preference thing in many respects but I would hate to be elderly in the UK - except perhaps if I was wealthy too.
Agree. It you've no, or little super, Australia would be a better place to retire financially compared to the UK - a grim place to grow old with no money
Old May 9th 2021, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
OP
Everyone has a different view on UK vs Aus
What’s important here is your view. You are clearly not happy in the Uk, and from what I can gather are only staying for two reasons.
1. Family. This is hugely important and a good reason to stay if you have a close relationship with your family, if you’re only seeing them now and again then you need to really think about that.
2. Having kids. My experience of Australia has been good in terms of schooling for eldest but not my youngest. This would have been exactly the same in the UK. I only got 3 months maternity leave in the UK as a nurse. No idea what it’s like now.

The things you find hard about the UK are the same things I did. Firstly, the weather. People love to downplay this but the fact remains that Britain is a rainy little island due to its position. The grey skies used to really get me down.
The financial impact also cannot be ignored, I’m sure that are lots of people on here who are better off in the UK. My husband and I weren’t. We are far better off here and have more disposable income.
If you are unhappy then just make the move. Life is too short not to.

Edit to say: there are things I miss about the UK and Ireland (I lived in both). The main things being family, and the week running up to Christmas. But my life here overall is just so much better due to the weather and the financial situation.
This is the thing and it's always easy to say "If you are unhappy then just make the move" Unless your timing is right and you have the right tools to make it work, it's just vom Regen in die Traufe. I doubt anybody here downplays the weather and most of the time people focused on Australia moan about British weather, but with the right property and location any place can have good weather (vice versa). I was always surprised how pasty some of my friends in Australia were until I realised that many have less sun exposure. You are either in the shade, covered in sunscreen and others couldn't afford a house with garden in recent years. Then of course there are also people who aren't focused on highest amounts of sunshine and a Moroccan might be happier moving to France. Unfortunately high house prices are the main factor of unhappiness in the Western world today and you see it in Canada, Australia, UK, Ireland, U.S. NZ etc.
Old May 9th 2021, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Unfortunately high house prices are the main factor of unhappiness in the Western world today and you see it in Canada, Australia, UK, Ireland, U.S. NZ etc.
That's quite the dramatic statement. The only person I see who has let house prices make them unhappy is Troubadour. I have never ever had anyone in Australia or UK that I am close to say house prices make them unhappy.

If its making you that unhappy here is what I would do. Buy within your means, and do not be resentful towards what you can't afford.
Old May 10th 2021, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's quite the dramatic statement. The only person I see who has let house prices make them unhappy is Troubadour. I have never ever had anyone in Australia or UK that I am close to say house prices make them unhappy.

If its making you that unhappy here is what I would do. Buy within your means, and do not be resentful towards what you can't afford.
Nothing dramatic in stating the truth. While you may applaud never ending house price inflation, it is not to the benefit of most. Obviously outside of the narrow greed self interest prism. It seriously hinders the economy on many levels. Asset inflation brought about by market intervention will prove the road to a lot of difficulties ahead.

As for saying you don't anyone who is unhappy about the situation, I can only conclude your circle must be limited to those making a business from the housing industry in one shape or form. Most thinking people, those with kids, those knowingly forking out too much income on unproductive housing, instead of more productive returns . Not forgetting those thinking twice, before moving to more expensive locations for work and so on. Just how the finance industry will manage when interest rates are forced up will be interesting indeed. Too many don't learn from even recent history. Just amazing you continue to cheer on the fiasco in the making without any apparent shame.

Last edited by the troubadour; May 10th 2021 at 12:50 am.
Old May 10th 2021, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
This is the thing and it's always easy to say "If you are unhappy then just make the move" Unless your timing is right and you have the right tools to make it work, it's just vom Regen in die Traufe. I doubt anybody here downplays the weather and most of the time people focused on Australia moan about British weather, but with the right property and location any place can have good weather (vice versa). I was always surprised how pasty some of my friends in Australia were until I realised that many have less sun exposure. You are either in the shade, covered in sunscreen and others couldn't afford a house with garden in recent years. Then of course there are also people who aren't focused on highest amounts of sunshine and a Moroccan might be happier moving to France. Unfortunately high house prices are the main factor of unhappiness in the Western world today and you see it in Canada, Australia, UK, Ireland, U.S. NZ etc.
It's ever increasingly hard to move these days. The cost alone on every aspect is cringe worthy. You are correct much the western world is caught up in asset inflation which impacts the entire economy. Some even after already falling victim the first time around. Ireland comes to mind. All brought about by cowboy economics of course that resulted in record low interest rates and inflated asset prices resulting.
I agree with pasty Australian comment. So many I know barely go out doors, let alone the sun. It is very much an indoor country in my thinking. Car centric. Shopping Centre. Gym.
Old May 10th 2021, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Agree. It you've no, or little super, Australia would be a better place to retire financially compared to the UK - a grim place to grow old with no money
Have you been keeping up to date with the shocking state of aged care in Australia ? It is diabolical. Another Royal Commission. Is UK any better? Quite possibly not. But two wrongs don't make it right. Getting old in Australia will not be for the faint hearted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.