Wages

Old Jun 15th 2005, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wages

Is $A60,000 a good wage in Melbourne? Just inquisitive.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 11:40 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wages

Originally Posted by tony126
No.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 11:40 pm
Badge

I would say yes- with a caveat. I would not have knocked it back as a first job offer. It is higher than average, and not a bad wage to start from.
Many earn less. Many higher professionals and tradies earn more, but only you can know that within the expectations of your career and lifestyle.

I would say that 30-40 is poor. I know of people starting on this and it would be bloody worrying if you want the full 'lifestyle'. Depends on expectations - some people want to be as well off as they were in the UK with low mortgages and high incomes - and have long forgotten this is not the norm ij todays society. If that is what you want and cannot be flexible then think twice - however if you are willing to sacrifice to get to Australia you may be OK.

I had the benefit of coming from London so here in Melbourne any salary over 70k for me personally is fantastic, especially when you take in to account a much smaller mortgage.

As anecdotal evidence suggests - it is all the extras that cost - this is what seperates the rich from the poor -as it always has.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Jun 15th 2005 at 11:50 pm.

Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

I would love to earn that amount! Unfortunately I chose a career in midwifery. So, even as a manager of a unit (which I am not) I would only just earn that.

My husband is a graphic designer (degree and 12 years experience). He has just taken a job earning $A37,000 pro rata. Could have got more in Brisbane.

Mortgage free we will have what I consider a 'good' lifestyle. He is working 4 days a week, I am working 3 + studying. We don't have a massive house or loads of holidays/posessions. But, we can afford to do stuff (days/nights out etc) and not worry about money. Even more importantly 'lifestyle' wise we are both far more chilled and spend more time with the kids which makes family life easier and happier.

It is all relative and depend whats important to you. But, I would say that $A60,000 is a good wage.
Rachel
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for the info, much appreciated. I should have pointed out that it is not me who is coming but my Grand-Daughter. She is single and will be renting while there. On the other hand being a young thing she could very well end up there.
Thanks again.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:25 am
ABCDiamond

It is 20% higher than the overall average wage. And even higher still, when compared to the average "Female" wage.

Niot bad if it's a first time income (Depending of course on the job)

Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:29 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby's had to take a job paying $27,000 so yes, to us that wage would be a dream!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:10 am
ABCDiamond

Here's some general average wage figures, from the Australian Bureau of Statistics:

Nov 2004 Australia wide Average Full Time Wages
Male - Normal Hours = $50,258.00
Male - Total Inc O/T = $53,601.60

Female - Normal Hours = $42,343.60
Female - Total Inc O/T = $43,009.20

Both M&F - Normal Hours = $47,320.00
Both M&F - Total Inc O/T = $49,654.80

Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:26 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
My hubby's had to take a job paying $27,000 so yes, to us that wage would be a dream!

:scared: :scared:

Hope this isn't full time

Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Here's some general average wage figures, from the Australian Bureau of Statistics:

Nov 2004 Australia wide Average Full Time Wages
Male - Normal Hours = $50,258.00
Male - Total Inc O/T = $53,601.60

Female - Normal Hours = $42,343.60
Female - Total Inc O/T = $43,009.20

Both M&F - Normal Hours = $47,320.00
Both M&F - Total Inc O/T = $49,654.80
Thanks ABCDiamond! Is that average or mean. I would be interested in the mean wage.
Rachel
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:29 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by RReed
Thanks ABCDiamond! Is that average or mean. I would be interested in the mean wage.
Rachel
A mean salary is demonstrated in one of these threads....

poor Wholeworldwindows hubby earns a mean wage

Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
A mean salary is demonstrated in one of these threads....

poor Wholeworldwindows hubby earns a mean wage
Boomie posted something similar about her husband's wage the other day :scared:

G
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:46 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Grayling
Boomie posted something similar about her husband's wage the other day :scared:

G
I think I read Boomie's post G...in fact I think I responded if it's the one you're talking about. However....I don't remember a salary this low

I've seen some pretty lousy salaries in my time.....but if $27,000 is for a full time job, then I'd consider it exploitation

Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
I think I read Boomie's post G...in fact I think I responded if it's the one you're talking about. However....I don't remember a salary this low

I've seen some pretty lousy salaries in my time.....but if $27,000 is for a full time job, then I'd consider it exploitation
It was Less

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307785

G
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:09 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Grayling

Blimey O'Reiley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.