Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wage expectations down under

wage expectations down under

Old Oct 20th 2004, 8:56 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wage expectations down under

Have a look at the links below "jobsearch" is the equivalent of the job centre in U.K. "Wageline" will give you the industry award for your job/trade.
The rest are mainly construction based links or agencies
http://www.jobsearch.gov.au/
http://www.stonedcrow.com/employment...d_agencies.htm
http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/index.html
http://www.ctq.com.au/
http://www.bcitcwa.com.au/skills/index.shtml

If you want to find where a job is try:
http://www.whereis.com.au/whereis/home.jsp
Most employers are paying above award as there's a general skills shortage in the construction industry. Sorry don't know about the rest of the workforce accept that there's a glut of unemployed IT people here now working at Maccas
Good luck
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PortJackson
Just to throw something else into the mix.On the DIMIA website there is a publications section.On there you will find a canada vs Australia immigration study.In that towards the end there is a remark that residents of Australia born overseas(I take that as expats) earn on average 12% more than residents born in Australia.

Nothing to do with original question really but an interesting point to be included in a study.Guess moral is you could end up earning more than an Australian.
I saw something on AustralianIT.com recently saying that employers were basically favouring expats over locals. They gave no explanation why though. Interesting point, and as I'm off to Oz job-hunting next week, I hope it's true
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:09 pm
wooooooo hoooooo

jubri is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wmoore
I saw something on AustralianIT.com recently saying that employers were basically favouring expats over locals. They gave no explanation why though. Interesting point, and as I'm off to Oz job-hunting next week, I hope it's true
could be true...my hubby works for an american IT company - with an office in Sydney & they had a job advertised there for 2 months, with a few takers, but ended up interviewing hubby over the phone & we believe are now about to offer him the job!!! (anxiously waiting on Visa grant to come through at the same time"" aaarrgghhh) I know that the english have a good rep in IT...maybe that could be why.
Anyways good luck with your search * move

Cheers

Jubri
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:16 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GARY C
How do the wages compare in oz to british wages?
Is there a some kind of easy method to compare wages to british levels?
Are there large regional variations?

I have been told to expect around a third less in oz is this right

Thanks for any comments good or bad

Gary c

What do you do?
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:23 pm
wooooooo hoooooo

jubri is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Siren
What do you do?
Panic - Drink loads & pray to the Visa gods!!!

Last edited by jubri; Oct 20th 2004 at 9:25 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:25 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jubri
Panis - Drink loads & pray to the Visa gods!!!
Cheers for the wishes. Ditto with hubby's.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 5:38 am
DarrenD

Originally Posted by wmoore
Cheers for the wishes. Ditto with hubby's.

Its not a great surprise expats earn more than average. Look at the experience / skills you need to prove to get the visa !

Bet you dont see many unskilled people emigrating to aus.

So these things need to be taken in context. Look on the websites. Salaries seem to differ by profession - some are higher, some are lower. I work in IT, and overall, salaries seem pretty similar to the UK.

Then, to get a true reflection, you have to look at the cost of living. Things may be a little cheaper in aus, but top tax rate is 47%, so it all balances out and is likely to work out about the same.....

Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I'm told you don't have to work in Australia.

You just get up when you want and wander down the beach to BBQ with millions of new friends.

The Government just top your account up when you need it.

You are issued with a 4 x 2 house on arrival and a Ute.

That is right isn't it...?

Three Legs
What !! I didn't get the ute !!

Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:51 am

sewak is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on which sector and your level of experience but I think that 1/3 less is optimistic. One thing to remember is that Australia is very small - there is alot more of "who rather than what you know" so if you are senior in UK, chances are - unless you have exceptional and unique skills - you will find that you will have to take a lower job and that the pay will be much lower. AS a guide, I have been told that I am very lucky to have a well paid job - but I am only getting 52% of my UK salary (if I convert).

And things here are not that cheap - housing in Melbourne near desirable locations is approx $500k - when you note that the average salary is approx $50-$75k you will get an idea of how expensive things are. The best thing you should do is look at www.seek.com.au as it will give you an idea of the types of salaries.

Originally Posted by GARY C
How do the wages compare in oz to british wages?
Is there a some kind of easy method to compare wages to british levels?
Are there large regional variations?

I have been told to expect around a third less in oz is this right

Thanks for any comments good or bad

Gary c