Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wage expectations down under

wage expectations down under

Old Oct 20th 2004, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

GARY C is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool wage expectations down under

How do the wages compare in oz to british wages?
Is there a some kind of easy method to compare wages to british levels?
Are there large regional variations?

I have been told to expect around a third less in oz is this right

Thanks for any comments good or bad

Gary c
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wage expectations down under

I'm told you don't have to work in Australia.

You just get up when you want and wander down the beach to BBQ with millions of new friends.

The Government just top your account up when you need it.

You are issued with a 4 x 2 house on arrival and a Ute.

That is right isn't it...?

Three Legs

Originally Posted by GARY C

Gary c
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:05 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I'm told you don't have to work in Australia.

You just get up when you want and wander down the beach to BBQ with millions of new friends.

The Government just top your account up when you need it.

You are issued with a 4 x 2 house on arrival and a Ute.

That is right isn't it...?

Three Legs

ahhhhh!! Wouldnt that be nice, sounds like heaven

Dream, dream dream, dream................
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:08 pm

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Gary c

Gary

why dont you have a look on some aussie job websites to get an idea of wages for your trade/occupation???

try seek.com and jobs online au

According to the jobs on the websites, Lucky for us we can expect to earn more than the wage in UK for what my partner does, but i think for me nursing is slightly less.........

laura
x
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:14 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gary

I think there a couple of options for you here in order to get some info.

Do a search on the forum, because this question has no doubt been asked again and again.

Alternatively, you could search the Oz jobs site; again, there should be links posted on this forum.

A third option would be to attand the Jobs in Oz exhibition in London on the 30th and 31st.

Best of luck with your search, Gary

Gary c
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by gsb
Hi Gary

I think there a couple of options for you here in order to get some info.

Do a search on the forum, because this question has no doubt been asked again and again.

Alternatively, you could search the Oz jobs site; again, there should be links posted on this forum.

A third option would be to attand the Jobs in Oz exhibition in London on the 30th and 31st.

Best of luck with your search, Gary

hi

do you know how much the tickets are for that jobs expo? Do you already need a visa or do they recruit people and get you a visa if they want you??

laura
x
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:29 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Laura

The tickets are £6 each. As for having a visa already, my view would be, as a broad generalisation, yes you do. That being said if you have particular skills that a company want then I would be surprised if they did not help you get the visa. I would say that the latter is a rare case, but I am no expert.

For information, we have applied to DIMIA, and have had our meds, but waiting for police checks. We are going simply to test the water.

If you are interested here is the link:

http://www.expo-australia.com/

Best of luck, Gary

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hi

do you know how much the tickets are for that jobs expo? Do you already need a visa or do they recruit people and get you a visa if they want you??

laura
x
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by gsb
Hi Laura

The tickets are £6 each. As for having a visa already, my view would be, as a broad generalisation, yes you do. That being said if you have particular skills that a company want then I would be surprised if they did not help you get the visa. I would say that the latter is a rare case, but I am no expert.

For information, we have applied to DIMIA, and have had our meds, but waiting for police checks. We are going simply to test the water.

If you are interested here is the link:

http://www.expo-australia.com/

Best of luck, Gary

cheers gary, might check it out as only £6....

good luck

laura
x
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:40 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

Laura

We are going (that is me and Scissors) with Gravyman and Sarsa, we are also meeting up with Sue2 and her hubby while we are there. Soooooo if you fancy meeting up for a chat let us know. Just PM any of us letting us know you will be there.

Cheers, Gary

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
cheers gary, might check it out as only £6....

good luck

laura
x
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:43 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Gary c
you could check out your trade/profession here http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/d...e=2&TextOnly=0 and compare it to an "average" british wage. Bear in mind this site gives OZ wide info so in some cities the money will be SLIGHTLY more/less.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:53 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

If looking for a very rough guideline - set your expectations on the low side for your expected income....eg take 2.5 * UK income and half the result! Plan your outgoings on this and then you will be pleased if you earn more.

Obviously the job sites etc give a good indication but it is getting a job in your trade or area that counts. I am on a lot less (disposable income) than I was paid in the UK and husband was on a meagre amount for 2.5 years. Now he has landed a job that pays a hell of alot more than his UK wage equivalent.

Obviously this is just my experience.....

Cheers
Old Oct 20th 2004, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by gsb
Laura

We are going (that is me and Scissors) with Gravyman and Sarsa, we are also meeting up with Sue2 and her hubby while we are there. Soooooo if you fancy meeting up for a chat let us know. Just PM any of us letting us know you will be there.

Cheers, Gary

gary

thanks, sounds like a laugh, will be great to meet up and interesting to find out what jobs are on the go, wages, companies etc......

I will have a chat to my other half about it tonight, just it might be a bit short notice, wish i had of known about it earlier tho as would of defo made plans to go.

Anyways I'll PM you if the man says YES.....

Laura
x
Old Oct 20th 2004, 4:50 pm
wooooooo hoooooo

jubri is on a distinguished road

Gary c
Hi Gary,

Hubby is in IT - so we found this on a recruitment company website.
You can maybe do a search on recruitment companies in your field/trade & i am sure they would have the same sort of thing.

Good luck

Jubri
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
sydney salaries for IT.pdf (37.1 KB, 255 views)
Old Oct 20th 2004, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Bret is an unknown quantity at this point

Gary try this website it may have some info on your job on it

http://www.hays.com.au/salary/index.asp

Bret
Old Oct 20th 2004, 8:19 pm
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PortJackson is on a distinguished road

Just to throw something else into the mix.On the DIMIA website there is a publications section.On there you will find a canada vs Australia immigration study.In that towards the end there is a remark that residents of Australia born overseas(I take that as expats) earn on average 12% more than residents born in Australia.

Nothing to do with original question really but an interesting point to be included in a study.Guess moral is you could end up earning more than an Australian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.