Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is WA really the backward State?

Is WA really the backward State?

Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:44 am
PommieLeague

Default Is WA really the backward State?

Many who have moved here seem to think so and also the attitude from people over east tends to be the same.
When I see pathetic laws here and silly attitudes by 'jobsworths' it makes you think so.

Example, the silly rules that state what you can and cant grow in your gardens, even plants that have NO risk to the indigenous plants here, yet AQIS/Dept of Agriculture have to throw the baby out with the bathwater and ban so many plants that arent a particular risk!

I was trying to bring a particular succulent plant into WA, and I recieved a standard letter from them saying that the plant was unidentified! For goodness sake, this succulent itsnt even rare, and dont they emply botanists or something?
Anywonder why there are hardly any tall trees around metro Perth, yet plenty in Sydney?

Now before those who will say 'well go back home then', can I at least have some other examples of the Wait Awhile way of life please?

Yes WA is a lovely state and has a great deal to offer, but please, there is so much room for improvement and efficiency.

Old Jun 8th 2005, 10:11 am
PommieLeague

Default Re: Is WA really the backward State?

So everybody's happy then? tut tut, no time for porkies.

Old Jun 8th 2005, 10:13 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a list somewhere of plants you cant grow?

Wasnt aware of this...
Old Jun 8th 2005, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been having a look at the firearms laws as I was thinking of joining a shooting club. It's illegal in WA to own a bullet proof vest and paintballing is also illegal. Seems a bit daft to me, but I guess we are all hoping that on balance the quality of life will be higher. Nowhere is going to be perfect is it?
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:25 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
I've been having a look at the firearms laws as I was thinking of joining a shooting club.

move to rural Victoria - the pests such as foxes and cockatoos are fair game on most farms for shooting now + again for culling and/or poaching reasons...
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
I've been having a look at the firearms laws as I was thinking of joining a shooting club. It's illegal in WA to own a bullet proof vest and paintballing is also illegal. Seems a bit daft to me, but I guess we are all hoping that on balance the quality of life will be higher. Nowhere is going to be perfect is it?

There is an International Shooting/Archery complex by Whiteman Park.

Don't think paintball is illegal. there is a place in Perth that does it.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:37 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: Is WA really the backward State?

I was led to believe that, in Queensland, if you see a rabbit and are carrying a shotgun, it is illegal not to shoot it!!!!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:19 pm
Badge

In my view, there is a difference between a law and one which is rigourously enforced; many of these crimes or "by laws" noone probably cares about in the main.

You think WA is bad, NT is Not Tuesday, Not Tomorrow.

badge

Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PommieLeague
Many who have moved here seem to think so and also the attitude from people over east tends to be the same.
When I see pathetic laws here and silly attitudes by 'jobsworths' it makes you think so.

Example, the silly rules that state what you can and cant grow in your gardens, even plants that have NO risk to the indigenous plants here, yet AQIS/Dept of Agriculture have to throw the baby out with the bathwater and ban so many plants that arent a particular risk!

I was trying to bring a particular succulent plant into WA, and I recieved a standard letter from them saying that the plant was unidentified! For goodness sake, this succulent itsnt even rare, and dont they emply botanists or something?
Anywonder why there are hardly any tall trees around metro Perth, yet plenty in Sydney?

Now before those who will say 'well go back home then', can I at least have some other examples of the Wait Awhile way of life please?

Yes WA is a lovely state and has a great deal to offer, but please, there is so much room for improvement and efficiency.
From my own take, it is historical. For more than a century Western Australians were told that they were different.

It was mostly the votes of miners from the Eastern States that got them over the line to join the other states in Federating in 1901.

The Commonwealth Games in 1962 came as a great shock as they found out that lots of people all over the world weren't much different from them and when they had the America's Cup in the 1980s off Freo that too, was a shock as it was really brought home that the rest of the world was much like them.

Still officially sanctioned stupidity dies hard I think that their legal system and judiciary are as corrupt as their police force, that's just my personal opinion.

I lived in Perth during the hearings for WA Inc and the Australian (newspaper) ran different stories for WA than what it did for the rest of Australia.

And, no doubt as many of you living there have heard that their mineral wealth has been stolen and if it stayed in the West they would all be wealthy. I generally counter that with "It was the WA Govt that gave it away and it was Whitlam that renegotiated the charges and royalties that really made it contribute to the Government's coffers! Furthermore it was the WA Govt then the Commonwealth Govt who said that there wasn't anything of interest there, despite Lang trumpeting about it for around 20 years. It was then an American called Tom Price (Yep, doesn't that ring a bell) who did a deal with the Commonwealth (as they have all rights over mineral deposits) to develop the Pilbara and when that started to turn into a winner all Govts hopped on the bandwagon" Ah, it was great to have serious discussions with WA people

I found it a great place and the Internet made it even greater as communications improved out of sight. They are very innovative but they are also tremendous at re-inventing the wheel.

Like all places on the planet, it has its great things and its really trivial infuriating things.

I liked to look at it this way and when really pushed used this line with hilarious results. If it wasn't for us Easterners and Poms moving to Perth, the cultural level and State IQ would still be in the low digits. That really stirs up the ants nests and they don't like you treating that like a joke either. It hasn't got me into any fights but has been the cause of many a long evening boozing on and arguing.

Having said that, from tomorrrow, I am about to spend 2 weeks working there

Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:45 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Anywonder why there are hardly any tall trees around metro Perth,

That is so funny, When I drive down to Perth from her in Gero I get all excited as the trees are tall and "normal" this is coming from Yanchep into Perth though not Metro

Up here you are lucky to see a tree over 5' (slight exageration as I have a 20' tree in my garbden but you know what I mean

Kala
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get your point on trees, there are loads of tall trees here in the Northern Burbs. Perhaps some trees in some areas don't take due to the sandy acidic soil. It seems you may have got stuck with a jobsworth with importing your succulent, perhaps someone higher up is worth asking?

RE being backward... I was particularly struck with the speeding limits when arriving here, they don't seem to deter the problem drivers. Also renting is annoying and you seem to have much less rights as a tenant than in the Uk. Schools are more laid back, but medicare is good. Environmental issues seem to be less important; there is very little water recycling for instance, they just seem to take it from the aquifers. Car exhaust emissions are horrendous. Building standards poor, especially considering environmental benefits and climatic extremes.

However, its lovely to be out of the rat race and I love it here.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:54 pm
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by JayDeee
That is so funny, When I drive down to Perth from her in Gero I get all excited as the trees are tall and "normal" this is coming from Yanchep into Perth though not Metro

Up here you are lucky to see a tree over 5' (slight exageration as I have a 20' tree in my garbden but you know what I mean

Kala
Haha spot on Kala.

Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Haha spot on Kala.

No tall trees. .....many many subdivisions or new suburbs being built is one reason ...there used to be....take a drive east into the hills and tall trees dominate.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Muzza04
There is an International Shooting/Archery complex by Whiteman Park.

Don't think paintball is illegal. there is a place in Perth that does it.
Paintball place was advertised on TV the last couple of nights - it is indoors with inflatable structures to hide behind.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muzza04
No tall trees. .....many many subdivisions or new suburbs being built is one reason ...there used to be....take a drive east into the hills and tall trees dominate.
Yeah true, have heard that trees grow quickly here, so the newer burbs will look much better in a few years, depends whether you would put up with the barreness. Waneroo, Heathridge etc, have loads of gorgeous trees and native wildlife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.