Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is WA really the backward State?

Is WA really the backward State?

Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is WA really the backward State?

Originally Posted by darkless
Paintball place was advertised on TV the last couple of nights - it is indoors with inflatable structures to hide behind.

Here we go.....http://www.paintballskirmish.com.au/PAINTBALL.htm
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
I . Environmental issues seem to be less important; there is very little water recycling for instance, they just seem to take it from the aquifers. Car exhaust emissions are horrendous. Building standards poor, especially considering environmental benefits and climatic extremes.
This bit of your post hit a chord with something I realised this morning, Larissa.
The first few months I was here I was waiting by the side of the road every day for a lift to work - by the time I got there I always had a splitting headache. More recently we have gone in the car, no standing by the roadside breathing in fumes. No headaches. Last couple of weeks, no car, waiting by the road twice a day for buses - splitting headache at the start and end of each day.
Back in the UK I travelled by bus, wiating by busy roads, every day, and never a problem.
It was only today watching the clouds of black fumes belching from a passing truck that I realised a probable cause for the headaches.

Do they actually have laws here about vehicle emissions? I know in the UK now your vehicle is supposed to pass various emission tests, but here (Qld anyway) where there is no MOT, things must be different I guess?
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Do they actually have laws here about vehicle emissions? I know in the UK now your vehicle is supposed to pass various emission tests, but here (Qld anyway) where there is no MOT, things must be different I guess?

No MOTs here in WA.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:07 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PommieLeague
Many who have moved here seem to think so and also the attitude from people over east tends to be the same.
When I see pathetic laws here and silly attitudes by 'jobsworths' it makes you think so.

Example, the silly rules that state what you can and cant grow in your gardens, even plants that have NO risk to the indigenous plants here, yet AQIS/Dept of Agriculture have to throw the baby out with the bathwater and ban so many plants that arent a particular risk!

I was trying to bring a particular succulent plant into WA, and I recieved a standard letter from them saying that the plant was unidentified! For goodness sake, this succulent itsnt even rare, and dont they emply botanists or something?
Anywonder why there are hardly any tall trees around metro Perth, yet plenty in Sydney?

Now before those who will say 'well go back home then', can I at least have some other examples of the Wait Awhile way of life please?

Yes WA is a lovely state and has a great deal to offer, but please, there is so much room for improvement and efficiency.

Do you still talk to your plants in WA ?/
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Hasn't WA got enough of it's own flowers and trees, without bothering about another succulent? There's a great choice of succulents here already.

Why do you need tall trees in a residential area? Plenty of shade trees already.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zebra4
Hasn't WA got enough of it's own flowers and trees, without bothering about another succulent? There's a great choice of succulents here already.

Why do you need tall trees in a residential area? Plenty of shade trees already.
You haven't been to any of the residential developments in the north. They still have the "moonscaping" mentality. Or, "let's nuke the site".
Old Jun 8th 2005, 7:20 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
I've been having a look at the firearms laws as I was thinking of joining a shooting club. It's illegal in WA to own a bullet proof vest and paintballing is also illegal. Seems a bit daft to me, but I guess we are all hoping that on balance the quality of life will be higher. Nowhere is going to be perfect is it?
l agree banning paintballling is stupid but why would an ordinary person need a bullet proof vest in OZ unless you were planning some violent crime such as an armed robbery where people might be shooting at you.

Old Jun 8th 2005, 7:27 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aussie73
l agree banning paintballling is stupid but why would an ordinary person need a bullet proof vest in OZ unless you were planning some violent crime such as an armed robbery where people might be shooting at you.

Sorry but guns area big thing in country WA, I honestly can't think of one couple up here in Geraldton who hasn't got a gun or regularly goes shooting.

A bullet proof vest is not necessary with the people I have mentioned and I have no idea if they are illegal but surely the police at least need them if gun use is as free and easy as it seems to me?
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
I've been having a look at the firearms laws as I was thinking of joining a shooting club. It's illegal in WA to own a bullet proof vest and paintballing is also illegal. Seems a bit daft to me, but I guess we are all hoping that on balance the quality of life will be higher. Nowhere is going to be perfect is it?
Well I must have played paint ball illegally down in Fairbridge !!

Doh !

Still good fun though!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
This bit of your post hit a chord with something I realised this morning, Larissa.
The first few months I was here I was waiting by the side of the road every day for a lift to work - by the time I got there I always had a splitting headache. More recently we have gone in the car, no standing by the roadside breathing in fumes. No headaches. Last couple of weeks, no car, waiting by the road twice a day for buses - splitting headache at the start and end of each day.
Back in the UK I travelled by bus, wiating by busy roads, every day, and never a problem.
It was only today watching the clouds of black fumes belching from a passing truck that I realised a probable cause for the headaches.

Hi Poll
Think you are right. As far as I know there is no MOT etc. but in theory the police can pull over any really defective cars and do a fume test. I don't know how often this happens, this happened to our mate several years ago and he had to report back. Many must slip by as some of the worst emissions are colourless and odorless.
Stop waiting near busy roads though, it doesn't look good Poll
Old Jun 9th 2005, 8:30 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by Bordy
Do you still talk to your plants in WA ?/
Only from the advice you gave me Bordy.

Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:56 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bridiej
Is there a list somewhere of plants you cant grow?

Wasnt aware of this...
Keep telling the judge that and you might just get away with a caution ...
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Gease is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is because me and Sludger live there, or should that be Sludger and I!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Is there a list somewhere of plants you cant grow?

Wasnt aware of this...
There's over 10,000 native species of wildflowers in WA. It's the most species rich area for these in the world after the South African Cape. Many of them are unique to WA and even bringing similar plants from the East can threaten their survival, as many of them have very restricted ranges.

The desert tends to act as a buffer for the spread of many exotics (though certainly not all) across the continent, and the WA authorities are I believe simply erring on the cautious. Having said that, I think some species can be brought in with a special license, though I've no idea what sort of succulent PL has tried to bring in. If it's a plant already established, or native to, WA then it seems a bit harsh.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:41 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

I was trying to bring a particular succulent plant into WA, and I recieved a standard letter from them saying that the plant was unidentified! For goodness sake, this succulent itsnt even rare, and dont they emply botanists or something?

Anywonder why there are hardly any tall trees around metro Perth, yet plenty in Sydney?

Awww mate - you are right there are so many examples of Perth stupidity - I'm from the place and every holiday there starts with a skirmish with some idiot jobsworth at passport control (once I flew in on my British Passport instead of my Aussie one as it was expired and a HASLE to get a replacement from london in Person when I live in Bristol - 'nother story for anothe time!) or some smiling customs official ready to declare my gift of bath oil is honey and try and lock me in prision...But you';re not going to get my sympathy on the plant thing...

I don't really see the point of bring in a new plant when it's untested. How do *you* know it poses no harm to the native plantlife? Are you a botanist? There've been so many stuff ups in Australia with foxes, cane toads, pondweed, ferral cats, that pear-cactus thing to name some well-known examples that I hardly think you've been hard done by compared to the potential for disaster (OK, disaster's a strong word, but you know what I mean!) if your "harmless succlent" went on the rampage!

Now jobsworths, bank workers, freeway speed limits of 100kms an hour - you would have got me with those.....

Michelle

Michelle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.