Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WA Long weekend-The South West or other ideas please

WA Long weekend-The South West or other ideas please

Old May 29th 2006, 11:44 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default WA Long weekend-The South West or other ideas please

Sam is trying to talk me into going away for the long weekend (not that we can afford it after $300 for Robbie Williams tickets and $250ish to mend the retic!). This is the first long weekend since I got a proper contract so I am tempted to give it a go.

She fancies Dunsborough area which I would try and turn into a bit of a driving holiday - seeing as much of the SW as possible as we haven't got beyond Mandurrah yet. Bunbury, Bussleton, Margaret River, Augusta maybe.

Does that sound reasonable or too much in 3 days? Is there much going on in winter? Or will it be booked out? Should we head north for the warmer weather instead? Any thoughts would be much appreciated as we don't know much of the area.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:21 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA Long weekend-The South West or other ideas please

Its lovely down that way but is is usually a tad cooler than Perth. We are going to the Karri Valley Resort for 3 nights. We go with friends so its just a chance to chill out, eat, drink etc etc. There is a very nice tram trip from Pemberton, lots of winerys and bush walks, cycling, fishing. We love it down there and its our 3rd trip down in the 10 months we have been in Perth. Try Karri Valley Resort, they have hotel rooms and self catering chalets. Karri Valley Chalets also have 4 self catering chalets too. Not ventured to the other places you mention yet but if they are anything like the Pemberton area you will have a lovely time.
Old May 29th 2006, 1:09 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Sam is trying to talk me into going away for the long weekend (not that we can afford it after $300 for Robbie Williams tickets and $250ish to mend the retic!). This is the first long weekend since I got a proper contract so I am tempted to give it a go.

She fancies Dunsborough area which I would try and turn into a bit of a driving holiday - seeing as much of the SW as possible as we haven't got beyond Mandurrah yet. Bunbury, Bussleton, Margaret River, Augusta maybe.

Does that sound reasonable or too much in 3 days? Is there much going on in winter? Or will it be booked out? Should we head north for the warmer weather instead? Any thoughts would be much appreciated as we don't know much of the area.
We did the Dunsborough area last year in 3 days, a bit too much, this year we are heading north for a week checking out that Monkey place and surroundings...
Old May 29th 2006, 2:40 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla
We did the Dunsborough area last year in 3 days, a bit too much, this year we are heading north for a week checking out that Monkey place and surroundings...

The southwest is brilliant (I'd go more towards Augusta, or Pemberton, but make sure you get a cabin or something with a good fire!) Seriously, in Bunbury already there was ice on the bridge in the morning!(my parents live there). During the day it's still nice though.

This time of year I'd rather head north (Pinnacles and Guilderton?) or east (Tooday or York), a bit warmer, though still would need good accomodation....

Yeah, that was right helpful, hey?!

Have fun whatever you do!
Old May 30th 2006, 2:54 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Congrats on the proper contract Ian. I can't give you any advice on 'darn sarf' though as we haven't been beyond Freo/Adventrue World in the first year. (Something to do with the 'Are we there yet?' factor x 5).
Old May 30th 2006, 2:58 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bal56
Congrats on the proper contract Ian. I can't give you any advice on 'darn sarf' though as we haven't been beyond Freo/Adventrue World in the first year. (Something to do with the 'Are we there yet?' factor x 5).
know the feeling, we hadn't even got as far as Yanchep on our 12 hour drive to Coral Bay and the kids were saying that. By the time we got to Carnavon I was verging on suicidal!!
Old May 30th 2006, 6:16 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Okay - the opinion seems to be head north rather than south.

Ideas / comments on what to do up north then please
Old May 30th 2006, 6:26 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

It depends how much you want to drive... And how much you want to do(or just relax).
Things are further away north, and further apart.

As I said, you could stay at Guilderton(full of holiday homes, and a caravanpark that might have chalets?) and also go up to Lancelin and Cervantes/Pinnacles.

Kalbarri is great, but I think too far for a 3 day trip! (8 hours drive, ha ha)

Geraldton has a few things to do. The town centre isn't great, but there are things to do around there, and you stay just out of town. You could also stay at Dongara/Port Denison, a holiday town just under Geraldton.

So those are all beach towns.

If you go east to Toodyay and York you'll find a bit more 'old stuff' (buildings etc), museums etc. Oh, and you could go skydiving in York, ha ha!
And Avon National Park is towards Toodyay.
Old May 30th 2006, 8:20 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

It might be a stretch in 3 days....
Old May 30th 2006, 10:33 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

250 ish for someone to supply and install a retic timer, even I dont charge that much. I hope it was a fandangle timer.
Old May 30th 2006, 1:01 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
250 ish for someone to supply and install a retic timer, even I dont charge that much. I hope it was a fandangle timer.
I know I know! But when the plumbing was threatening to go away for the weekend before I was we said yes to the first guy that said he would rush round and sort it. It was two visits, the first very early.

Anyway, I digress. So north is too far so we are back to south again (unless I give up and spend the weekend in the pub...hmmm tempting). It may be cold, but I will either be sightseeing in the middle of the day, sitting in a warm car driving to/from somewhere or in the hotel bar (if it doesn't have one I'm not going). Perth will feel warmer when we get back.

So thoughts on Bunbury through to Augusta please. Anyone recommend a good hotel / motel midway-ish (with a bar )? How long will it take to drive from Dunsborough to Augusta?
Old May 30th 2006, 1:04 pm
Keeping it fairly real

I know I know! But when the plumbing was threatening to go away for the weekend before I was we said yes to the first guy that said he would rush round and sort it. It was two visits, the first very early.

Anyway, I digress. So north is too far so we are back to south again (unless I give up and spend the weekend in the pub...hmmm tempting). It may be cold, but I will either be sightseeing in the middle of the day, sitting in a warm car driving to/from somewhere or in the hotel bar (if it doesn't have one I'm not going). Perth will feel warmer when we get back.

So thoughts on Bunbury through to Augusta please. Anyone recommend a good hotel / motel midway-ish (with a bar )? How long will it take to drive from Dunsborough to Augusta?
Abbey Beach is OK.
Old May 30th 2006, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Im in Bunbury, its bootiful here, but we have had some frosty mornings, emmm lovely.
Denise
Old May 30th 2006, 3:22 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

We stayed at Karri Valley resort which was beautiful. Also, if you find your way to Walpole, I recommend one of the short (about an hour) WOW ecocruises. Very interesting.