Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visitors-claiming GST back from gifts brought to take back to the UK.......

Visitors-claiming GST back from gifts brought to take back to the UK.......

Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:55 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Question Visitors-claiming GST back from gifts brought to take back to the UK.......

Is it worth doing?

If so where and how do they go about it?

Will they have to pay tax on the goods when they arrive into UK customs if they've claimed it back here?

Thank you! C x
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:08 am
Just Joined

julesmc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Visitors-claiming GST back from gifts brought to take back to the UK.......

I've claimed GST back when I have bought things in Australia whilst on holiday. If I remember correctly you claim it at the airport (there is an office there to allow you to do it), you have to have the receipt and the goods with you (it's after you've checked your luggage in so you must carry the goods in your hand luggage) as you have to show both to reclaim the GST.

I think you can only claim over a certain amount and I can't remember how much it is. Individual items can be less than this amount but the total receipt needs to over this minimum amount (so remember to get all your items from the same shop put on the same receipt). The GST is then credited back to your credit card. I think they used to pay it in cash but don't anymore.

If you bring more than £140 of goods into the UK you have to declare it and pay tax on it. In reality, I think very few people do declare this but you take the (albeit very small) risk of being caught & fined if you don't.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:18 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of
Default Re: Visitors-claiming GST back from gifts brought to take back to the UK.......

the amount is $300 for GST reclaim

You have to produce the receipt and the item at the GST counter in the airport.
In Melbourne Airport the GST counter is after passport control but before the security checkpoint.

The $300 minimum is the final retail price of the combined total of the goods you are claiming.

You must have bought the goods within 30 days of travelling..

Last edited by derab; Feb 20th 2008 at 7:20 am. Reason: adding the time limit.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:44 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.....will pass the information onto the rellies!!! C x