Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best area to live in Sydney

Best area to live in Sydney

Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Jonnyl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Best area to live in Sydney

Hi Could anyone give me advice on the best areas/suburbs to live in. We are looking to move to Sydney & we and we have a young son who I would obviously like to have access to great schooling. Also what would be the going rate for a 4 bedroom house?

Any help gratefully received.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice
Default Re: Best area to live in Sydney

Best areas - Balmoral , Valcluse, Woolhara, Mosman, Neutral Bay, Paddington, Lavender Bay.
Good because - close to city , close to beaches, lots of ammenities, good public transport, beautiful architecture.

Whether they are in your price bracket is another matter.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jonnyl
Hi Could anyone give me advice on the best areas/suburbs to live in. We are looking to move to Sydney & we and we have a young son who I would obviously like to have access to great schooling. Also what would be the going rate for a 4 bedroom house?

Sydney is extremely but generally gets more expensive the closer your are to the beach and less expensive the further west you go.

At the end of the day it depends on:

1. How much you can afford (buy or rent)
2. How long a commute you are prepared to live with.
3. Private or public school.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:12 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Best start off with what you can afford to rent/buy, will get a better choice of options then.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Hi, could anyone tell me the area's not to live in Sydney. And has anyone lived in Adelaide then Sydney?. My spell check not working, hope my spelling is ok.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:02 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

4 bedder in Mosman (for example) would not often give you change out of $2mill...

try www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au for house prices (both rental and buying) and www.131500.info for public transport times from your chosen destinations.

Western Sydney is cheaper, but for a reason - hotter, further from beach, often lower wage earners (generalisation)...
Lowe north shore - mostly great areas, but you pay for it!
Northern beaches - great areas, but often crap public transport, and the drive is painfully slow from most areas.
Wollongong/Sutherland etc nice, and have decent transport links, but some distance out.

Good luck in finding what you want.

Steve
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:01 am
Just Joined

charliegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived in Adelaide and Sydney. I'd go for Sydney. Why?
Adelaide is small, quieter, cheaper and has great beaches. But it's the sort of place that doesn't have all that much going on.

Sydney is much more cosmopolitan, there is plenty to do for kids and families. The beaches are good, the public transport is good.

What you will pay for a four bedroom house will depend on where you end up living.

Generally a lot of expats end up on the lower north shore or the north shore. The suburbs on the north shore are further away from the city centre so it will take longer getting there with public transport. If you like the cafe scene then try the inner west.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by charliegirl
I've lived in Adelaide and Sydney. I'd go for Sydney. Why?
Adelaide is small, quieter, cheaper and has great beaches. But it's the sort of place that doesn't have all that much going on.

Sydney is much more cosmopolitan, there is plenty to do for kids and families. The beaches are good, the public transport is good.

What you will pay for a four bedroom house will depend on where you end up living.

Generally a lot of expats end up on the lower north shore or the north shore. The suburbs on the north shore are further away from the city centre so it will take longer getting there with public transport. If you like the cafe scene then try the inner west.
Thank's , I live in Aberfoyle Park, my daughter schools at Sacred Hart, catholic school in Brighton, All in Adelaide. were would you compare to simular suburb in Sydney.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Maybe Collaroy or Mona Vale or even Newport.

All are a fair way out of the city and may take about an hour or more to drive into the city but they are great beach suburbs. Newport is a smaller, quieter village like feel.

But if you like the convenience of being close to McLaren Vale, then you may like the convenience of being on the north shore. Newport and MonaVale in particular are very close to the Pittwater, Kuringai Chase National Park, Palm Beach etc.

Friends of mine send their kids to Avalon North high school ( I think that's the school's name) and they rave about it. Apparently a lot of parents and arty types who live in the area get involved in extra curricular activities.

Otherwise if you want something slightly closer to town, try Balgowlah.

East or south side, try Maroubra or Malabar.

Just be prepared for more noise, more people, more energy, more activity etc in Sydney, which is why a beach suburb might be a nice change.

When I first moved to Sydney, I could not get over the traffic noise and people everywhere. So, if you like a bit of peace and quiet, having a beach to go for a walk along will be a good thing.

There is a website which may be of help to you. www.cityhobo.com
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:32 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

We're currently researching too - found this link last night
http://www.livingin-australia.com/wh...-in-sydney.htm
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:26 am
alien

silentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to all

All are a fair way out of the city and may take about an hour or more to drive into the city but they are great beach suburbs. Newport is a smaller, quieter village like feel.

But if you like the convenience of being close to McLaren Vale, then you may like the convenience of being on the north shore. Newport and MonaVale in particular are very close to the Pittwater, Kuringai Chase National Park, Palm Beach etc.

Friends of mine send their kids to Avalon North high school ( I think that's the school's name) and they rave about it. Apparently a lot of parents and arty types who live in the area get involved in extra curricular activities.

Just be prepared for more noise, more people, more energy, more activity etc in Sydney, which is why a beach suburb might be a nice change.

When I first moved to Sydney, I could not get over the traffic noise and people everywhere. So, if you like a bit of peace and quiet, having a beach to go for a walk along will be a good thing.

Thanks for the links. cityhobo.com seems neat and organized. I intend move late April and I roam around this forum to get an idea about the suburbs in Sydney. Found a lot of info about the Sydney suburbs in cityhobo. Much appreciated.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Glad it's helping you.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that. gives me some idea.