Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visiting UK after migration to Aus

Visiting UK after migration to Aus

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all
Default Visiting UK after migration to Aus

Hello Guys
Just wondering how many of you have flown back to UK for a visit recently?
We arrived here in Dec 2005 and are thinking of flying back to UK for 3 weeks in September to pay a visit. We are only considering it as we have some spare money after completeing our UK house sale. If we don't go now, we probably never will and at least we can pacify a few friends and relatives who are desperatley missing us but have not yet visited here. If we go, we can say we've done it. We might not get the chance otherwise.
I get the feeling it won't be a holiday, but probably weeks of rushing around to see everyone and quite hard work. I want to do it though.
Can anyone offer any advice, hints, tips etc??? And what airline are the best ones at the moment. We flew out here with Singapore and they seem to come up cheaper than the others when I look.
Thanks in anticipation.
Claire. x
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting UK after migration to Aus

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Hello Guys
Just wondering how many of you have flown back to UK for a visit recently?
We arrived here in Dec 2005 and are thinking of flying back to UK for 3 weeks in September to pay a visit. We are only considering it as we have some spare money after completeing our UK house sale. If we don't go now, we probably never will and at least we can pacify a few friends and relatives who are desperatley missing us but have not yet visited here. If we go, we can say we've done it. We might not get the chance otherwise.
I get the feeling it won't be a holiday, but probably weeks of rushing around to see everyone and quite hard work. I want to do it though.
Can anyone offer any advice, hints, tips etc??? And what airline are the best ones at the moment. We flew out here with Singapore and they seem to come up cheaper than the others when I look.
Thanks in anticipation.
Claire. x
we moved here in feb 2006 and went back last october for a visit.

as you say, it wasn't a holiday, we spent most of the time rushing around trying to visit everyone.

the only advice i would give is pick an itinerary, tell everyone where you will be and for how long, then let them come and see you. take a week to have a restful holiday.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 11:25 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I went back to the UK for 4 days for my sisters wedding. Its funny but you soon realise that not a lot changes and all the reasons that you left are still there. Great to see family and friends but its really an odd sensation I found. I was glad to get back home.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

I've been back twice since I left the UK and it is nice but definitely quite stressful because everyone wants a piece of you, and it's really only the other people who have been or are ex-pats who understand your predicament. My Danish friend who is living in the UK was an angel both times because she knows what it's like! I think my biggest piece of advice would be to go for as long as possible and make asure there are some days in there planned to do nothing because you will inevitably need a break or space for when things end up needing to be rearranged.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
I've been back twice since I left the UK and it is nice but definitely quite stressful because everyone wants a piece of you, and it's really only the other people who have been or are ex-pats who understand your predicament. My Danish friend who is living in the UK was an angel both times because she knows what it's like! I think my biggest piece of advice would be to go for as long as possible and make asure there are some days in there planned to do nothing because you will inevitably need a break or space for when things end up needing to be rearranged.
Best tip I can give is - sleeeeeeep on the plane! You won't get time while you're there, and it helps beat the jet-lag.
And make lists - who to see, what you want to do, and what you want to buy.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:44 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't been back to visit our family yet, but when my sister goes she and her family usually stay with another of my sisters for 1/2 the visit and then with her in-laws for the other 1/2. She tells people where she will be and if they want to see her they come to her. It seems to work out nicely for them. I think when (if) we ever go back to Canada for holidays it's what we'll do, minus the in-laws part.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been back a couple of times since we came in January 2005. The main thing that hit me was that people are still moaning about the things they were moaning about when we left. No one seems to have moved on. It definitely confirmed that we did the right thing, we enjoy life so much more here.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Thanks for all your replies guys! The flights seemed to have increased in price since I last looked, so probably ought to get booking before they go up again!