Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visiting Karratha for a month?

Visiting Karratha for a month?

Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:45 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Karratha for a month?

I reckon you'll go insane stuck in Karratha for a month without a car.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Tessa_41 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by siamsusie
Hi Tessa, I will put my thinking cap on for you. Its a tad warm to get around on a bike unfortunately, though not impossible.
The children are more inclined to be learning Mandarin than european languages, and of course having any dealings with children even on a voluntary basis will incur a thorough Police Checks etc., references etc. but I dont hold much hope in that quarter.

Maybe you could contact the following:

Karratha corps (Salvation Army)

Site Address: 2 Bond Place Pegs Creek
Karratha Western Australia
Po Box 363 Karratha W.A 6714

Phone: (08) 9185 2148

Fax: (08) 9185 5672

Email: [email protected]
The above includes for Women's Refuges as far as I am aware.

Or Vinnies Retail Centres (St. Vincent de Paul)

(08) 9185 4336

Welcome Rd
Karratha WA 6714

They might have some voluntary work.

I do have many friends in Karratha, but they are all working 12 hr shifts although I will certainly ask one or two and see what they think about meeting up.

There is a library (not London standards) but you can always borrow your friend's card and there is a good internet service from there as well.

Walkinstown Theatre is pretty active, and apart from shows, they do have a weekly cinema.
Keeping yourself busy... well I certainly recommend you take the bus to Broome, its a one in a life time opportunity probably!
A few good hostels http://www.kimberleyklub.com/
As I have said The Greyhound leaves and returns through Karratha.

STAIRCASE TO THE MOON (which is amazing in Broome but can also be seen in Karratha
http://www.kimberleyklub.com/whatson...ion=view&id=34

Cable Beach is lovely, watching the camels... the town is manageable on foot with a good bus service and bikes to hire as well.
Hopefully there is a bit of food for thought Tessa.

I know that it has been mentioned before, but it is a very sensitive subject entertaining anyone on a tourist visa Tessa, in case it is misconstrued as "paid labour" there are heavy penalties involved for both sides so this narrows down many opportunities unfortunately.
Very best wishes Susie

Bonjour Susie

As i said before, you are a star and i am delighted with all your help, if i ever see you in person i am taking you out for lunch or dinner whichever you prefer.
You are a source of information and kindness, i know that Australian people have the reputation of being friendly and i am happy to see that for myself.

I did some more research on keeping myself busy working on a voluntary basis whilst in Karratha and it is not going to be possible. As you mentioned, it might be misconstrued and i would not want to get in trouble or get someone else in trouble either for that matter, i kept my nose clean from trouble all these years and will not start getting it dirty now

I have spoken with my friends yesterday and they told me that they are trying to get time off earlier so we can travel but it is not sure they are able to do that, if not i might just go to Sidney and stay with their mother until they are able to join me.
By the way Susie, i did think of the possibility to have a bike but like you said, it is too warm to do that.
I believe i will go mad sitting in the house so i will use all the information you gave me and i will visit the area , if i do come over for a while.

By the way thank you for checking with your friends, i know it was a bit strange for me to ask, i just wanted to come over and meet people and ike my mother used to say, if you don’t ask, you will never know.

Thank you again for all your help Susie and i wish you a fabulous day.

Tessa
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Tessa_41 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by renth
I reckon you'll go insane stuck in Karratha for a month without a car.
Yes i think so too, i am so used to move around but not in spaces like that where i am not able to catch a bus or tube or taxi

We shall see what i will decide but one thing is not going to be possible, a bikei would be toast before moving a mile
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tessa_41
Yes i think so too, i am so used to move around but not in spaces like that where i am not able to catch a bus or tube or taxi

We shall see what i will decide but one thing is not going to be possible, a bikei would be toast before moving a mile
You are very welcome Tessa... I once walked about 4 kms into town, whilst the car was being serviced, despite factor 30 I was like a Lobster.

Jot me a pm if you do decide to go and I will see about meet ups with any friends.

Sydney is easier for you for sure but you can never say never, the Pilbara is an interesting area to see once in your life.

With very best wishes Tessa from a fellow European

Susie xx