Visas

Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

robyn01 will become famous soon enough
Default Visas

Hi all Im just wondering I have a fiancee in England and would love for him to join me here in Australia permanently and am wondering which would be the best way a friend told me for him to come on a tourist visa get married and then we apply for a spouse visa...is that a wise way what would be involved if we did it that way and not the fiancee visa?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

waustralish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Visas

Originally Posted by robyn01
Hi all Im just wondering I have a fiancee in England and would love for him to join me here in Australia permanently and am wondering which would be the best way a friend told me for him to come on a tourist visa get married and then we apply for a spouse visa...is that a wise way what would be involved if we did it that way and not the fiancee visa?
I think what your friend is on about is the "prospective fiancee visa". Have you contacted any agents if not try Helen O'hara of GoMatilda she will be able to advice you better. www.gomatilda.com

Hope that helps
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Prospective Spouse Visa would be the best way - download the Partner Visa booklet from www.immi.gov.au and have a read of it.
DIMIA do not like people entering on the tourist visa and then applying onshore, especially if it means they lied on entry - saying they were here for a visit when in act they intend to stay.
Also, entering on a Prospective Marriage Visa has the big advantage that you can work as soon as you get here! Can make a big difference to money, and to settling in.
If you have a look at the Immigration forum, there is loads of info on there, and several of us can answer your more specific questions too.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Cristine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Prospective Spouse Visa would be the best way - download the Partner Visa booklet from www.immi.gov.au and have a read of it.
DIMIA do not like people entering on the tourist visa and then applying onshore, especially if it means they lied on entry - saying they were here for a visit when in act they intend to stay.
Also, entering on a Prospective Marriage Visa has the big advantage that you can work as soon as you get here! Can make a big difference to money, and to settling in.
If you have a look at the Immigration forum, there is loads of info on there, and several of us can answer your more specific questions too.
Hi Pollyana,

I was reading your answer and got kind of shocked. Is that true that the Immigration doesn't like it when people enter the country on a tourist visa and then apply for another one there?

My situation is: I'm going to apply for Skilled Migration, but I need to go there first to get my TRA (taking the Naati test for Translator) since there are no more Australian agencies that would do this in Brazil. So my plan is to enter the country as a tourist, take the test, pass it , and then apply for offshore Skilled Independent while I am in Australia. If possible, then, I'd like to stay there waiting for the process to unfold. If not, I'll go to New Zealand and stay there for as long as needed. Do you think I'll run into any problems doing that? Notice that I'm going to file an OFFshore application.

Thanks for your help
Cristine
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cristine
Hi Pollyana,

I was reading your answer and got kind of shocked. Is that true that the Immigration doesn't like it when people enter the country on a tourist visa and then apply for another one there?

My situation is: I'm going to apply for Skilled Migration, but I need to go there first to get my TRA (taking the Naati test for Translator) since there are no more Australian agencies that would do this in Brazil. So my plan is to enter the country as a tourist, take the test, pass it , and then apply for offshore Skilled Independent while I am in Australia. If possible, then, I'd like to stay there waiting for the process to unfold. If not, I'll go to New Zealand and stay there for as long as needed. Do you think I'll run into any problems doing that? Notice that I'm going to file an OFFshore application.

Thanks for your help
Cristine
Sorry, my reply may have been a bit confusing. I was answering the original query, with regard to Prospective Marriage Visas - they prefer you to enter on that, rather than on a tourist visa, with the intention of marrying.

With regard to your own position, I can't help at all, as its outside of my area of knowledge! I suggest you re-post on the Immigration forum, or speak to an agent.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by robyn01
I've recently arrived from England on the prospective Marriage visa and am happy to answer any questions you may have
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

tony440 is on a distinguished road

hi john can i send you a pm please
tony
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:40 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

even if you do enter the country on a tourist visa, the skilled migration will probably take around 18 months, so you would be unlikely to be able to stay in oz for that time as a tourist anyway (isn't 12 months the max??). and you'd need a fair bit of cash to stay for 18 months without working!!

Hi Pollyana,

Thanks for your help
Cristine
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tony440
hi john can i send you a pm please
tony
Sorry for the delay mate of course you can - anytime
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
even if you do enter the country on a tourist visa, the skilled migration will probably take around 18 months, so you would be unlikely to be able to stay in oz for that time as a tourist anyway (isn't 12 months the max??). and you'd need a fair bit of cash to stay for 18 months without working!!
Skilled migration is normally treated as an offshore application, so no bridging visa. Processing times for new applicants are usually less than 12 months.

It is pointless thinking in terms of getting to Australia on a tourist visa and trying to change status onshore through general skilled migration.

DIMIA get very upset if people try to live in Australia on tourist status. And if the tourist visa has condition 8503- no further stay it's impossible to lodge either an onshore or offshore application while physically in Australia.

Jeremy
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Cristine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Skilled migration is normally treated as an offshore application, so no bridging visa. Processing times for new applicants are usually less than 12 months.

It is pointless thinking in terms of getting to Australia on a tourist visa and trying to change status onshore through general skilled migration.

DIMIA get very upset if people try to live in Australia on tourist status. And if the tourist visa has condition 8503- no further stay it's impossible to lodge either an onshore or offshore application while physically in Australia.

Jeremy

Hey, Jeremy
As I started researching further on this, I found out that my best option would be a 3-month visa, just enough time to get there, take the test, wait for the result, and then apply.
Thanks for your help,

Cristine
Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, Jeremy
As I started researching further on this, I found out that my best option would be a 3-month visa, just enough time to get there, take the test, wait for the result, and then apply.
Thanks for your help,

Cristine
If your tourist visa has condition 8503 you will not be able to apply for anything while in Australia.

And even if you can apply the processing will not be done within 3 months so you will have to leave. There will be *no* bridging visa. Whether you will be able to go to New Zealand or not depends on NZ immigration law.

Why are you so keen to apply onshore -why not apply from your home country like other people? You are heading for a big problem if you are not careful.

Jeremy