Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare levy and surcharge on 457

Medicare levy and surcharge on 457

Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:54 pm

percyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicare levy and surcharge on 457

I'm on a 457 visa with a PR visa being processed.

I'm eligable for Medicare and I do have private medical insurance.

I understand that I pay the medicare levy of 1.5 %, should my employer be deducting this or are there no hard and fast rules.

As for the surcharge, ( yes I earn 100K+ ) do I have to pay this ? I'm not sure if having the 457 overrides the fact that you have private health cover, which would normally mean you don't pay it.

Searched everywhere for this info, can't find the exact answers I'm after.

Appreciate any help provided

Old Feb 12th 2005, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice
Default Re: Medicare levy and surcharge on 457

If you go to the Tax website,and the on-line tax thingy,it actually takes you througth the whole process,I'm on a 457 and didn't pay the levy,its on the e-tax part,sorry can't find the link
Old Feb 12th 2005, 5:35 am

percyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Wafoo.
I can't find it on the ATO web site, I think I will just call them on Monday, as this is not the only tax issue I have.

Can you believe I actually have an agent doing my tax return, and I really don't think they have got a grip on things neither did another agent I had last year Why can't I just get someone reliable
Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by percyp
I'm on a 457 visa with a PR visa being processed.

I'm eligable for Medicare and I do have private medical insurance.

I understand that I pay the medicare levy of 1.5 %, should my employer be deducting this or are there no hard and fast rules.

As for the surcharge, ( yes I earn 100K+ ) do I have to pay this ? I'm not sure if having the 457 overrides the fact that you have private health cover, which would normally mean you don't pay it.

Searched everywhere for this info, can't find the exact answers I'm after.

Appreciate any help provided

If you have private medical insurance then normally you don't need to pay the Medicare levy surcharge. Your health insurer should give you a certificate to that effect.

That said, I'm not sure that overseas health cover is acceptable - you need to check.

Jeremy