Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visa granted - what if we divorce??

Visa granted - what if we divorce??

Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

JulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of light
Default Visa granted - what if we divorce??

We've had our visa granted (136 MODL) and are going to Oz in a couple of weeks to validate with a view to going permanently sometime in the next couple of years.

I am the primary applicant and my husband has asked me what happens if we get divorced before we relocate permanently - can he still go on his own? Does anybody know?

(By the way, I hope it's just a general wondering that he had rather than a specific plan!)
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:11 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa granted - what if we divorce??

Originally Posted by JulesM
We've had our visa granted (136 MODL) and are going to Oz in a couple of weeks to validate with a view to going permanently sometime in the next couple of years.

I am the primary applicant and my husband has asked me what happens if we get divorced before we relocate permanently - can he still go on his own? Does anybody know?

(By the way, I hope it's just a general wondering that he had rather than a specific plan!)
Crikey, I'd be worried if my hub said that to me! I can't help with your answer but good luck and here's to a long and happy marriage for you both... (hopefully together!)
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I understand that once a 136 visa is validated with an initial entry then each person with a visa is treated as independent PR

So if you walk out the Australian airport and get run over by a bus your husbands PR is still valid, but if you get run over by a bus in the UK on your way to the airport then his visa wont be valid

Last edited by spottydog; Jan 17th 2007 at 10:20 am. Reason: forgot smilie :)
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

JulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iPom
Crikey, I'd be worried if my hub said that to me! I can't help with your answer but good luck and here's to a long and happy marriage for you both... (hopefully together!)
Thanks iPom. He is actually a lovely husband and I'm sure he's planning to be with me for life - we've been together for 11 very happy years.

(By the way, I have told him that even if he can get in without me he might struggle with 2 broken legs...... ).
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spottydog
I understand that once a 136 visa is validated with an initial entry then each person with a visa is treated as independent PR

So if you walk out the Australian airport and get run over by a bus your husbands PR is still valid, but if you get run over by a bus in the UK on your way to the airport then his visa wont be valid.
Thanks very much spottydog - that's interesting to know. Now I just have to decide whether to share this information with my husband or not!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks iPom. He is actually a lovely husband and I'm sure he's planning to be with me for life - we've been together for 11 very happy years.

(By the way, I have told him that even if he can get in without me he might struggle with 2 broken legs...... ).

PMSL
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:17 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

That's the spirit!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Didn't this happen to one of the couples on 'a new life down under', he went home to the UK and she wanted to stay. She really struggled to stay but I think she managed to in the end - wasn't a definite right to stay though after splitting up.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
Didn't this happen to one of the couples on 'a new life down under', he went home to the UK and she wanted to stay. She really struggled to stay but I think she managed to in the end - wasn't a definite right to stay though after splitting up.

They were on a temporary visa though
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wendy
They were on a temporary visa though
Oh Ok!! - Good to know - not planning on divorcing but I keep threatening hubby that he can't get rid of me for 2 years before I get my citizenship as we are here on his visa - won't tell him that now he could actually get rid of me before that if he wanted (we are here on permanant visa!!)
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
Oh Ok!! - Good to know - not planning on divorcing but I keep threatening hubby that he can't get rid of me for 2 years before I get my citizenship as we are here on his visa - won't tell him that now he could actually get rid of me before that if he wanted (we are here on permanant visa!!)

I couldn't wait to tell mine when he threatened to send me back on my own.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spottydog

So if you walk out the Australian airport and get run over by a bus your husbands PR is still valid, but if you get run over by a bus in the UK on your way to the airport then his visa wont be valid
What if it's not a bus but some 'unknown' unmarked vehicle with a driver with let's say....a ski mask that appears accidentally out of the blue at precisely 3.27pm on the Tuesday we fly out?