Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Virgin Mobile Australia PAYG

Virgin Mobile Australia PAYG

Old May 17th 2010, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice
Default Virgin Mobile Australia PAYG

Hi all.

We use virgin UK PAYG mobiles and are really happy with them.

When we lived in the US we used Virgin US PAYG and were happy too.

Does anyone on here use Virgin Australia PAYG mobiles.

Are they any good?
How do they match up cost wise.
Has anyone had any problems?
Can you buy a Virgin Australia SIM card and use it in your UK handset?
Old May 17th 2010, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

swmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virgin Mobile Australia PAYG

Hi we used Virgin in Uk pay as you go as well
We unlocked our Uk phones before leaving uk.
On arrival put in Au sim cards as long.

As long as you top up with a long expiry voucher, of at least $50 which will last 365 days you can txt any Virgin phone for free.

We all have one and kids never have the excuse that they have run out of credit so could not let us know where they were.
Old May 17th 2010, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice

Originally Posted by swmbo63
Hi we used Virgin in Uk pay as you go as well
We unlocked our Uk phones before leaving uk.
On arrival put in Au sim cards as long.

As long as you top up with a long expiry voucher, of at least $50 which will last 365 days you can txt any Virgin phone for free.

We all have one and kids never have the excuse that they have run out of credit so could not let us know where they were.
Thanks swmbo63,

Are they freely available over there in stores etc, can you get one over in uk before you go, or do you have to order one online in Oz?
Old May 17th 2010, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

swmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought our sims from the post office but you can pick them up all over the place.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swmbo63
We bought our sims from the post office but you can pick them up all over the place.

Can you just buy them over the counter with no proof of ID or address like here in the UK?
Old May 17th 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Virgin Pre-Paid and find them great, I top up with $29, which gets me $150 credit and 1 gig of data for the internet.

I also make calls overseas, to mobiles and landlines and my credit seems to go a long way.

You just buy over the counter, need some photo id and give them an address (but dont need proof like a bill or anything). You can also buy the sim online.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
I'm with Virgin Pre-Paid and find them great, I top up with $29, which gets me $150 credit and 1 gig of data for the internet.

I also make calls overseas, to mobiles and landlines and my credit seems to go a long way.

You just buy over the counter, need some photo id and give them an address (but dont need proof like a bill or anything). You can also buy the sim online.
Excellent. It will be handy to get some the moment we arrive if it's painless.

Thank you.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canadaeh

I agree they were good when i used them. I think they use the optus network which offers good coverage although Telstra is best for this aspect.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yes very easy to find but another reminder to get your phones unlocked before you leave UK, it's nigh on impossible to find anyone to do it here and if you can then it isnt cheap. You should be able to find "a little man in the market" who will unlock them for a fiver for you
Old May 18th 2010, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

You can give them any address, even your hotel.
Old May 18th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

whatever you do dont go somewhere and ask for pay as you go, they will give you blank or confused stares. I found this out when I first did it, it doesnt process in their brains. You have to say PRE PAY, then they will get it.

I have been using optus pre pay for about 3 years no complaints, they also let you top up online easily.

I also found you cannot say 'cash machine' when going to get some money out of a hole in the wall, people had a good laugh when I said that once, you have to say ATM

Little things like this seem to confuse people a lot
Old May 18th 2010, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dave99
whatever you do dont go somewhere and ask for pay as you go, they will give you blank or confused stares. I found this out when I first did it, it doesnt process in their brains. You have to say PRE PAY, then they will get it.

I have been using optus pre pay for about 3 years no complaints, they also let you top up online easily.

I also found you cannot say 'cash machine' when going to get some money out of a hole in the wall, people had a good laugh when I said that once, you have to say ATM

Good to know
Old May 18th 2010, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dave99

When I first got to the UK (from South Africa) and a work colleague here said he was going to a 'hole in the wall at lunch time', I thought he was talking about going to a public toilet!

I had never heard the phrase before then.
Old May 18th 2010, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
When I first got to the UK (from South Africa) and a work colleague here said he was going to a 'hole in the wall at lunch time', I thought he was talking about going to a public toilet!

I had never heard the phrase before then.
I think some grubby people confuse them with public toilets!

My dad calls ATM's Spit The Dog