Reload this Page >

Videos will they work in Oz???

Videos will they work in Oz???

Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Jo100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Videos will they work in Oz???

Hi

We have got loads of videos (and a player) that we are thinking about shipping. Does anyone know if they will work out in Oz??? i have been told they won't work here soon, when we switch over to digital.

Many thanks
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Videos will they work in Oz???

Originally Posted by Jo100
Hi

We have got loads of videos (and a player) that we are thinking about shipping. Does anyone know if they will work out in Oz??? i have been told they won't work here soon, when we switch over to digital.

Many thanks
We bought lots of videos back with us and they work, no problem
Don't know about the player though
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Swing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura about

We took our old JVC VCR with us and it works perfect with our new Sony X Series HD TV.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, our video works and the sony video player. We also brought loads of DVDs.

Gems
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:42 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Someone's been pulling your chain

VHS is a universal standard (none of this region coding stuff)
i can almost guarantee that your VHS player has component out (yellow/red/white) .. that will be a standard output for a while yet
so regardless of where you are and what the tv is that you are plugging it into..
your VHS tape will work anywhere as long as the power is 220-240 (anywhere outside the USA basically)

being able to tune your video player into local TV in OZ is a different question.. (that might be where your advisors went adrift)
forget being able to do that.. In OZ the transmissions are different to the UK..
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jo100
Hi

Many thanks
Treat yourself to a DVD recorder and hook your Video player up to it and you can transfer to Disc bit by bit. Surprising how much space you save. And my mates have stopped taking the mick out of the covers which look like a library (Remember them)
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret
Treat yourself to a DVD recorder and hook your Video player up to it and you can transfer to Disc bit by bit. Surprising how much space you save. And my mates have stopped taking the mick out of the covers which look like a library (Remember them)
I've been replacing all my video films with DVD's - you get such cheap deals around at the moment on DVD's and it's halfed the size of the collection so far as the cases are so much slimmer so i know what you mean!
We're planning on getting a DVD recorder in the next few weeks to copy our home video's of the kids and family etc onto discs....i'm too scared of losing the video's in the container being shipped - so i want them in one of our bags we take with us as i'd be gutted if they got lost...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

We have a gorgeous sony recordable dvd player, I can't believe we weren't going to take it with!! We are now taking it along with about 20videos (gave 60 away to Oxfam! But have saved some harder to get foreign/arty ones).

I will definately try to transfer to video - I was always under the impression that the videos had a block on them to stop them being copied?! Worth a try! Might not need to take the video recorder then - every bit of space in that container counts!