Self-Packing

Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:04 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Self-Packing

Hi all,

I'm considering packing up the few bits we're taking myself to save a bit on costs... I'm not bothered about insurance issues because none of the boxed items we're taking will be of any real value other than sentimental - which I can live with if they break!

Can anyone tell me some names / websites for companies that provide this self-packing service..? Ones who provide the tea chests ideally.

We will probably be taking our leather sofas too (they're only about 18 months old and in good 'nick) and also our classic mini (we've looked into everything involved in shipping cars) - ideally we'd like to get it all in a 20ft container - although obviously we haven't looked into this in depth so it might have to be a 40ft depending on what's needed to ship the car. If anyone has any experience of shipping vehicles AND personal items in the same container, I'd very much appreciate your input.

Many thanks indeed!!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:14 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self-Packing

Hiya

I'm not 100% sure but I doubt you be able to mix personal items and a car. Also self pack may save some pennies but you wont get insured (but you're not worried) but it may attract AQIS/Customs attention and on the manifest it will say packed by owner so they want to inspect - at your expense.

Talk to some shippers, wont cost anything to ask.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:35 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

not sure about the car bit, but about 2 years ago debbiemc packed all her stuff and she says it really wasnt worth the hassle and the stress, and because you have to buy all the packing materials you really dont save that much money!
i think if you do a forum search for 'shipping' you will bring up endless threads about it
good luck
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

suart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Hi all,

I'm considering packing up the few bits we're taking myself to save a bit on costs... I'm not bothered about insurance issues because none of the boxed items we're taking will be of any real value other than sentimental - which I can live with if they break!

Can anyone tell me some names / websites for companies that provide this self-packing service..? Ones who provide the tea chests ideally.

We will probably be taking our leather sofas too (they're only about 18 months old and in good 'nick) and also our classic mini (we've looked into everything involved in shipping cars) - ideally we'd like to get it all in a 20ft container - although obviously we haven't looked into this in depth so it might have to be a 40ft depending on what's needed to ship the car. If anyone has any experience of shipping vehicles AND personal items in the same container, I'd very much appreciate your input.

Many thanks indeed!!!
Hi

We thought about taking our car with us too, as she is my baby and I feel safe in her. We had allied pickfords out for a quote on the car and personal stuff - they said it would all go in the same container the only difference is we would have to take the car to the docks where it was getting shipped from as they would not be insured to take it for us. They gave us a number if we needed advice its 0800 289 229
Hope this help's

emma
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:14 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

oh my i am glad i found this thread, i was hoping to pack a lot of our stuff myself as we have 4 children and a lot of stuff, and the thought of someone going through my knickers draw and personal items just doesnt seem right to me ,i thought that i could pack the house up like a normal move as if i was moving from 1 location in the uk to another in the uk, can i not pack anything myself?? i have a lot of ornaments that i dont want broken and am afraid they may break them whilst packing, as normal you dont expect them to be as careful as you yourself would be . i have kept them from 6 children over 20yrs from getting broken all i need is someone i dont know doing so. i know there is insurance but its not the same as when your 1st born gives you your 1st mothers day gift or 1 of your children make something for you at school those things to me are irreplacable(sorry spelling) and no money could replace those little things and even more so when my 2 eldest are staying in uk so i will want to take extra care with gifts etc they have bought me over the yrs as i wont have them here but objects etc that i can touch knowing it was from one of them. it sounds silly i know but thats how i feel , i just feel that someone else packing my stuff would feel a bit to me like being burgled, or someone had been in my home going through all my stuff. if you understand what i mean, anyway sorry to have gone on

kind regards
michell
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:25 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

I've checked these guys out for when I go http://www.sevenseas.co.uk/ they supply the boxes etc you pack they take them away. I haven't used them yet so I don't know if they are any good but they sound ok and the prices seem reasonable
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

All the shipping companies we contacted (except one and even they were reluctant) we unwilling to let us pack any of our belongings. Initially we wanted to do it ourselves, but in the end thought the easiest option would be to let them do it.

The insurance was another issue too, I think (if correctly) only total loss if you packed yourself.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:57 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sparky wife
All the shipping companies we contacted (except one and even they were reluctant) we unwilling to let us pack any of our belongings. Initially we wanted to do it ourselves, but in the end thought the easiest option would be to let them do it.

The insurance was another issue too, I think (if correctly) only total loss if you packed yourself.

what if i have some stuff packed already, i want to de clutter for the house sale , you know things like photos on walls of kids, declutter the ornament case , you know just minimalise everything as with having 6 kids i have a bit of clutter, not rubbish but little things i want to put away for when viewers come round . do i have to unpack it all??

kind regards

michell
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:05 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Hi all,

We will probably be taking our leather sofas too (they're only about 18 months old and in good 'nick) and also our classic mini (we've looked into everything involved in shipping cars) - ideally we'd like to get it all in a 20ft container - although obviously we haven't looked into this in depth so it might have to be a 40ft depending on what's needed to ship the car. If anyone has any experience of shipping vehicles AND personal items in the same container,
Hi Fluffy

I work at Pickfords and often quote people for household goods and car in the same container to Australia. This is a fairly common practice.

If you are shipping a mini you will probably get quite a bit of HHGs in with the car - wouldn't see any issues with the car and the volume of a 2 bed flat (as a rough guide) - you could always get a frame built for the car and squeeze in goods on top also.

Packing your own effects is also really common and as you mentioned you are not concerned re the insurance, even better - this is the major put off for most people. Usually we would provide a quote with a box delivery prior to collection. You will save money - usually on a container it's £100-£400 depending on the number of cartons etc. As you have a car it's likely to be the lower end of the scale.

Originally Posted by Sparky wife

Hi Sparky - We often do 'owner packed' moves. For smaller groupage (shared) containers, the goods are handled a few times (more than a full container) and the lack of damage insurance can be an issue for some customers. It's certainly not a problem and I don't advise against it - it just depends on what the customer has to ship.

Michell - you don't have to unpack it - depends on how much you trust your own packing. Most people tend to pack their own fragiles more (ie wads of bubble wrap) than a moving company would - it's usual practice for them to use newsprint paper for glass/ornaments etc. In my boxes though I have wrapped in clothes and bubble wrap. My theory is I can live with something if I have done it, but if someone elses breaks it I would curse them for life
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

brucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nice

Would it be possible to buy your own container and get a shipping company to ship it out to Australia and handle all the paperwork for us? Not sure how much of a saving there would be..............??

We are considering buy our own and once we get to OZ. Then sell the container on to recoup some $$$'s. Dont know if shipping companies would handle the container on our behalf.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Hi Fluffy

I had a quote today from White and Co. It the only one back so far. But they have quoted £2925.00 for 20 ft container.

Have a few round for some quote, it will give you something to do as you won't be checking your emails as often ha ha

Tinax