Victoria?

Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

KT83 will become famous soon enoughKT83 will become famous soon enough
Default Victoria?

My husband and i are moving to Oz in 2009 and are thinking of going to Victoria. Im a nurse and hes a chef so finding work shouldnt be to much of a problem. Any advise on which area we should try? We are both 24, would like to be near the beach or a lake, somewhere with plenty to do, bars, restaurants etc but not inner city. Not asking for much! ha ha. Any ideas?
Thanks x
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:00 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of
Default Re: Victoria?

Originally Posted by KT83
My husband and i are moving to Oz in 2009 and are thinking of going to Victoria. Im a nurse and hes a chef so finding work shouldnt be to much of a problem. Any advise on which area we should try? We are both 24, would like to be near the beach or a lake, somewhere with plenty to do, bars, restaurants etc but not inner city. Not asking for much! ha ha. Any ideas?
Thanks x
Hi there,
Im off to Melbourne this year and am also a nurse. Youll get lots of advice from BritVics website http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...php?act=SC&c=1 as all the shared information is about Victoria - think there's a few nurses on there, also trythe Nursing section on BritishExpats.

Good Luck
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:48 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks x
My wife is a nurse, casg on this site, so feel free to contact her. She is a psych nurse working from an agency doing hours to suit her.

If you want to be near the sea and with some life near you you should be looking at the inner south east suburbs. We live in Elsternwick, 20 minutes from the CBD, 10 minutes from St. Kilda, 10 minutes from Prahran, 5 minutes from our local beach at Elwood, and with it's own cafe/shopping strip. There are loads of suburbs not far from happening places, but that are themselves quite quiet.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:56 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks x
Agree with Shakmaty Elsternwick is lovely and very convient to the city. Lots of good folks around - it combines the best of inner city "convenience" with "surburbia tree lined streets".

We are nearby in Malvern (Glenferrie road is well known for its cafes and resturants). And I understand further north in Kew and Hawthorn is the same. Richmond is more congested but loads of great restaurants.

Bascially you will find alot of choice in Melbourne - which is known for great food and did I mention the coffee??
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:00 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Agree with Shakmaty Elsternwick is lovely and very convient to the city. Lots of good folks around - it combines the best of inner city "convenience" with "surburbia tree lined streets".

We are nearby in Malvern (Glenferrie road is well known for its cafes and resturants). And I understand further north in Kew and Hawthorn is the same. Richmond is more congested but loads of great restaurants.

Bascially you will find alot of choice in Melbourne - which is known for great food and did I mention the coffee??
Yeah, Malvern is great....top coffee. When I was in Canberra recently I didn't have a decent coffee. I came straight back to Melbourne to my local cafe, had one coffee and felt completely high
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:06 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Yeah, Malvern is great....top coffee. When I was in Canberra recently I didn't have a decent coffee. I came straight back to Melbourne to my local cafe, had one coffee and felt completely high
We were really disappointed in NZ - lots of cafes etc but no coffee just frothy milk and water

So glad to be back
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

The grocery bar in St Kilda do a gorgeous breckie and coffee. How i wish i could be sat there right now instead of freezing.

I think Victoria has something for everyone, and im looking forward to the day i can be living within the state.
Mandy
Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:59 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
The grocery bar in St Kilda do a gorgeous breckie and coffee. How i wish i could be sat there right now instead of freezing.

I think Victoria has something for everyone, and im looking forward to the day i can be living within the state.
Mandy
It will be good to have you here. Yes, Victoria has something for everyone, beaches, mountains, buzzing cities, great food, events sporting and cultural and, in my experience a friendly feel to it.

When I lived in the west of Melbourne in Williamstown I was really happy. Now that I'm in the south east in Elsternwick, I'm even happier. And we haven't ruled out the possibility of moving to country Victoria some stage in the future.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:29 am
Just Joined

KT83 will become famous soon enoughKT83 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all your advice, very helpful. What about the weater in victoria? We are from the west coast of Scotland so are hopeing for somewhere not so windy, wet or cold! Not sure we could handle too much humidity either. Whats Victoria like?
Thanks x
Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:37 am
Take it easy

Thanks for all your advice, very helpful. What about the weater in victoria? We are from the west coast of Scotland so are hopeing for somewhere not so windy, wet or cold! Not sure we could handle too much humidity either. Whats Victoria like?
Thanks x
Averagely 10C better than the UK all year round. 10C is the minimum winter daytime high and the summer can get to 40+. Days are a bit shorter than in the UK with darkness settling in about 9pm in the summer, but the winter days are much longer.

Melbourne can be windy, and when it's from the south it can add a chill factor, but you know that it won't be long before the weather picks up again. Humidity is low. The fact that there are season's in Melbourne is, in my opinion, also a bonus. I'm not sure how I'd cope with constant heat, but that would be different for other's.

Carl
Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:57 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Averagely 10C better than the UK all year round. 10C is the minimum winter daytime high and the summer can get to 40+. Days are a bit shorter than in the UK with darkness settling in about 9pm in the summer, but the winter days are much longer.

Melbourne can be windy, and when it's from the south it can add a chill factor, but you know that it won't be long before the weather picks up again. Humidity is low. The fact that there are season's in Melbourne is, in my opinion, also a bonus. I'm not sure how I'd cope with constant heat, but that would be different for other's.

Carl
This post is so similar to
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422382
And more good things to be said about Victoria!

Diane