Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Very Random Questions

Very Random Questions

Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Dream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really nice
Default Very Random Questions

1. Can I bring knitting wool to Australia? Or knitting yarn that consists of pure cotton? Or bamboo yarn? (I fear that only the cotton yarn will be acceptable after having read the many pages on what to bring ...)

2. Can we bring a dresser made of pure oak?

3. Can we bring Jali wood furniture?

4. Bamboo knitting needles?

There's more but I cannot find my list right now ...

(Like I said I have read the official document and it's not looking too good for these items ...)
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all
Default Re: Very Random Questions

i woudl think the answer to all of those is no - unfortunately.

nothing remotely made of wood etc can be brought in i think - just in case any beasties are hiding there.

not sure if the same applies to wool like but i would possibly think so.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dream_Catcher
1. Can I bring knitting wool to Australia? Or knitting yarn that consists of pure cotton? Or bamboo yarn? (I fear that only the cotton yarn will be acceptable after having read the many pages on what to bring ...)

(Like I said I have read the official document and it's not looking too good for these items ...)
We brought treated oak furniture, check the items with your shippers they will advise you
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:47 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Bring it, just declare it on the forms.....fumigation at the worst I reckon.

Good Luck with your plans.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Dream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really nice

Thanks!

What about a leather settee?
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

And what about clothes? Many clothes are mixed fibres? I bought lots of bamboo clothes for my children?

Same for cloth nappies. Many are made of hemp or bamboo.

I assume cotton is ok ...
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

There shouldn't be a problem. It is only if the timber etc is untreated. We brought with us wooden furniture, cane, leather, animal skins, feather doonas, etc etc. You may have an issue with cotton in its raw state but not knitting yarn
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:09 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

If the wood is treated it's fine. Beware of anything with straw though - it cost us a fortune to have chairs (seats) and my Mum's teddy gamma irradiated when it arrived. We brought everything with us and it was all ok (lots of antiques and Australian bark/boab nuts etc).
Our friends got rid of everything before they left the UK and had to replace it all when they arrived because they'd been told none of it would be allowed in. It was much more expensive than shipping it!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

You can bring all of the above with you

The removal company will give you a form to complete. On there you need to list all items made of wood. So, your oak dresser and Jali wood furniture go on there (and anything else made of wood, e.g. bookcases, beds, chairs, tables).

But there is no problem bringing it into Australia. Also no problem bringing in knitting wool, cotton yarns, bamboo yarns, and abmboo knitting needles. (But if you run out of space to pack it - all of these are readily available here .) And the clothes and nappies can come too.

But no straw. No pine cones. No stuff made out of banana leaves.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And what about clothes? Many clothes are mixed fibres? I bought lots of bamboo clothes for my children?

Same for cloth nappies. Many are made of hemp or bamboo.

I assume cotton is ok ...
Clothes are fine
Old Apr 30th 2010, 7:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes to all of the above.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:14 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the source and get the official answers: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/e...ing-emigrating
Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

sarahburns is an unknown quantity at this point

dont u worry theres lots and lots of knitting yarn at spotlight in australia... its pretty much my favourite place in the world!
Old May 1st 2010, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

All furniture is made of wood, bed bases etc and all ok. I would bring the lot and not worry about it. Have you ever seen a bug climb out of your solid oak dresser...?
Old May 1st 2010, 1:35 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
Have you ever seen a bug climb out of your solid oak dresser...?
No but a few parties whereby people dressed as bugs have jumped from said dressers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.