Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Very first impression of Oz

Very first impression of Oz

Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:40 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very first impression of Oz

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
nope quad bike versus tree and the tree won

Tried to get out of the way and clobbered the trunk with my knee/inner thigh

had a nice black bruise from middle of groin all the way down to knee, some VB soon sorted that out
VBSatans piss
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
VBSatans piss
Couldn't have been much of a decent bruise if VB sorted it! Its not decent unless its at least a TEDs x 4 level
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:45 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Couldn't have been much of a decent bruise if VB sorted it! Its not decent unless its at least a TEDs x 4 level
must try some of this mythical TEDs
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:46 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

This heading towards a 'very first impression of Oz beer' thread?
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:47 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia
compared to Kingfisher, Seybrou or the anonymous brown bottle sh!t in Alexandria it's the dogs bollox
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:48 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

cascade Premium discovered in Tassie, never yet bettered
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:54 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

cascade Premium discovered in Tassie, never yet bettered
Yes indeed,trip to walkabout bar soon me thinks
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:55 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

available in UK then? must try once in Glasgae
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:55 pm
Home and Happy

Sounds good, I could do with a pint of it right now!!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:00 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
available in UK then? must try once in Glasgae
You'll end up with more than just a bruised thigh up there - no naked backpackers either...
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:02 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

You'll end up with more than just a bruised thigh up there - no naked backpackers either...
used to live up there, it's a cracking run ashore

just avoid the complete sh!thole pubs and thankfully not too many naked sweaty's either - deep fried pizza isn't good for the figure
Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:32 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

July 2008...Arrived in Sydney & was so knackered & didnt even look out of the window of the train until we got to our hotel on Circular Quay. It was a marathon that day & the train was full of chattering competitors, welcoming us to Oz & asking us to come watch the race We completely ignored all the anti-jetlag advice & went straight to bed, even though it was something like 4 in the afternoon!!!

Eldest daughter (then 13) & I woke up at 3am & were absolutely wide awake, whilst OH & little'un were still snoring.

We put our coats on walked up the waterfront to the Opera House, which we had completely to ourselves, marvelled at the lights & the flags on the top of the Coathanger & then went for hot chocolate & muffins in an all-night cafe we found on the quayside....the waiter chatted away to my daughter & she was amazed at his real-life Ozzie accent....

after that, we just had to come back
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:49 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

We'd left snow on the ground and arrived in Brisbane in full summer. Even at 7am it was absolutely, breathtakingly hot.

I thought 'flipping heck' (or words to that effect) 'how on earth am I going to cope with this?'

We had the absolutely best taxi driver in the world, he gave us this running commentary of where we were on the road and the things we could see, he was great.

Things I particularly remember - palm trees, heat, humidity, rain(!!), the friendliness and being scared to walk near bushes (cos of the killer spiders, obviously)
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dreamy
We'd left snow on the ground and arrived in Brisbane in full summer. Even at 7am it was absolutely, breathtakingly hot.

I thought 'flipping heck' (or words to that effect) 'how on earth am I going to cope with this?'

We had the absolutely best taxi driver in the world, he gave us this running commentary of where we were on the road and the things we could see, he was great.

Things I particularly remember - palm trees, heat, humidity, rain(!!), the friendliness and being scared to walk near bushes (cos of the killer spiders, obviously)
Very similar. Snow at Heathrow changed to mid 30's in Sydney and stifling humidity. Back to the hotel and into the bar, talking to a young English roofer who looked like he had been roasted on a spit.
Next day, to Wollongong, down the hill from Mount Ousley and thought "shit, I've moved to Wyoming"
Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:31 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Well due to being paid twice in one month (going from being a casual to a contract teacher) I threw caution to the wind and bought a ticket to see my mate in Oz in July 2003! My first impressions were OH SH*T cos I'd got the dates mixed up and arrived a day later than I'd thought I was gonna, luckily my mate knew and was there waiting for me! The first thing I saw upon leaving the airport was a ute and that made me giggle. She lived in Adelaide, so well, enough said, but I travelled up through Melbourne, Sydney, Surfers and Cairns and remember how comfortable I felt the whole time, even in Sydney, a seemingly big anonymous city. I cried the day I left Oz and vowed to return someday to live, it took me nearly 7 years, but I got here in the end! If it wasn't for meeting my OH I'd probably still not be here though, as he really spurred me on to make the leap, thanku Simon, miss you...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.