Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Very first impression of Oz

Very first impression of Oz

Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:36 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very first impression of Oz

Never lived there but I first visited Australia in the mid 90s, in the admittedly attractive one-horse town of Toowoomba I couldn't believe they were selling sausage rolls & chips on a blistering hot day at the cricket ground where England were playing a warm-up match. The feller on the gate asked me where I was from. When I said I'd just flown in from Tokyo he said something like 'aww there's loadsa slopes up on the Gold Coast'

Remember a stunning catch from Athers then chatting with an elapsed Pom who told me about the effects of the Oz sun on his body over time. Also got acquainted with the BYO system for the first time that night. Bumped into Darren Gough at the breakfast table next morn asking for his toast to be done with the crusts left on.

Funny the things that stick in your mind.

What was your first memory, first thing that struck you about the country? Brief impressions please.

Last edited by expatasia; Oct 15th 2010 at 10:00 am.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:47 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very first impression of Oz

I remember BE member - Sam meeting me at the airport and feeling so relieved to see her as we had met before on expat meets in the UK and I remember Gobbyjock letting us stay with her for a month till we found our own place and waiting for us in her house with cold bottles of beer and cider, telling me everything would be OK and helping us organise what we needed to.

Those are my two key memories and ones I will treasure - there are some damn good people out there.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I flew into Melbourne...it was the start of April...about 5am, cold & rainy. I was staying with my then OH's parents...I was expecting Melbourne, but we left the airport and turned right. Drove for about 45 mins through brown, flat, bleak land as it was starting to get light before arriving in Lara. It topped out at a grey 12C. In the afternoon we walked down over to the sporting club and drank tiny glasses of rubbish beer and played these things called pokies.

Thoughts? Hmmmm.

Sun came out the next day though.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:52 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

I was almost crying driving to the bayside, Brisbane from the airport. All I could say was "look at all the trees" and thinking shit what have I done!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

The warmth and the clear blue skies and how bright the sun was
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:56 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Not good - it all started with the giant mutated Huntsmen that bombarded the airport.

Lucky I had a giant bunsen burner on me.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I remember coming out from the airport and thinking Australia is bloody cold and wet! (early July)

I remember my Aunt and cousin picking me up from the airport and driving us all to our accommodation, and me thinking Adelaide isn't like a scene from a western movie like I thought it would be (reading too much BE and looking at pics of Port Adelaide)

I remember walking out to the beach on the first day here and thinking wow

The rest is a blur, and I still feel like pinching myself because I don't actually believe I live in Australia! (always something I wanted to do)
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:00 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Very first impression of Oz

Jacaranda trees in full bloom in Brisbane, November 1998. I had never seen them before and I was amazed. I have now planted one in our front yard in memory of that day.

BB
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:01 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Great replies so far - keep 'em coming.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:10 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

The very first time we came here I remember thinking, "It's horrible. I don't get what all the fuss is about." That was on the drive from Sydney airport to the CBD. Went on to have a very nice holiday and completely changed my mind about Aus - I did get it by the end.

First time we came here to live I was relieved. We'd taken a long route to get to Aus (via the Us, Fiji and New Zealand - about four weeks, I think) and I was just happy to have finally arrived and be able to start getting on with it all.

The most recent time we flew here to live (again!) it felt like home. Best arrival of them all. Although that journey from Sydney airport is still miserable.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia
Never lived there but I first visited Australia in the mid 90s, in the admittedly attractive one-horse town of Toowoomba I couldn't believe they were selling sausage rolls & chips on a blistering hot day at the cricket ground where England were playing a warm-up match. The feller on the gate asked me where I was from. When I said I'd just flown in from Tokyo he said something like 'aww there's loadsa slopes up on the Gold Coast'

Remember a stunning catch from Athers then chatting with an elapsed Pom who told me about the effects of the Oz sun on his body over time. Also got acquainted with the BYO system for the first time that night. Bumped into Darren Gough at the breakfast table next morn asking for his toast to be done with the crusts left on.

Funny the things that stick in your mind.

What was your first memory, first thing that struck you about the country? Brief impressions please.
Very first impression, back in 1999, landing at Hobart - was that the landscape was stunningly beautiful, blue sky, mountains, sunshine and the air was so clear and clean, almost enough to make you dizzy if you took a deep breath.........I relive that moment every time I go back to Hobart

In those days you could travel jumpseat in the cockpit, so I flew over Tassie with the 737 Captain saying to me that it was "Hobbitland" down below, and the landscape really did look magical - this was in the days before the Lord of the Rings films.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:43 am
Well Endowed Member

The Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really nice

Sand ... and lot's of it.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:46 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>In those days you could travel jumpseat in the cockpit, so I flew over Tassie with the 737 Captain saying to me that it was "Hobbitland" down below, and the landscape really did look magical - this was in the days before the Lord of the Rings films.<<

Ah, those wuz the days - before they banned them witches <g>.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:47 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Jacaranda trees in full bloom in Brisbane, November 1998. I had never seen them before and I was amazed. I have now planted one in our front yard in memory of that day.

BB
my favourite trees in the world, they are stunning. I felt the same way. I also love Wattle and Grevillea trees too, but certainly the purple colours of the Jacarandas are breathtaking.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
>>In those days you could travel jumpseat in the cockpit, so I flew over Tassie with the 737 Captain saying to me that it was "Hobbitland" down below, and the landscape really did look magical - this was in the days before the Lord of the Rings films.<<

Ah, those wuz the days - before they banned them witches <g>.
On that first trip I also had the jumpseat across the Black Sea - sunrise was fantastic - and over India for a while - stunning towering green thunderclouds off to both sides - and for the last three hours as we came into Melbourne, it was April so it was dark and the towns stuck out so clearly in the rural areas. Crew were great at pointing things out (I Qantas) and I sat in the cockpit for the landing in Melbourne as well - they let themselves down at that point by being so busy pointing stuff out to me that they forgot to advise Qantas that they had landed and got a reprimand on the company frequency

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.