Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Vehicle technician prospects

Vehicle technician prospects

Old Jan 7th 2014, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Winks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vehicle technician prospects

Hi, just wondered what prospects there are for a master vehicle technician in Australia?
I am 40 years old, two daughter 8 and 11, and a partner ( her who must be obeyed)
Been thinking about this for a while, but I think I'm ready for the next step.
My question are....is there a call for master vehicle technicians? And with only 20k in back pocket is it feasible?

Thanks

Winks
Old Jan 7th 2014, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vehicle technician prospects

Are you enquiring purely about job prospects? Or do you need a visa as well?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Both really, and is 20k enough money?
Thanks.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well we have vehicles here so I am sure there will be jobs in your field. I can't see why finding a job would be any different than finding a job in UK. So this is not where I would spend my energy right now in your shoes.

In my view the best visa for a family wanting to move is the skilled migrant visa. Sometimes families will move on a temporary employer sponsored visa, it works for some, it goes badly wrong for some in particular those that confuse a temporary work visa with migration.

Unfortunately, I think that skilled migration would be quite difficult to achieve on GBP20k. I hesitate to make definitive statements as I am sure somebody will be along to explain how they moved on much less.

But trying to be objective, the visa fee alone would be best part of GBP5k for the four of you and more if you use an agent to handle it. There are also costs for skills assessments and medicals. Four flights and a container would be GBP10k so really you have very little left after just getting here. If you skip the container, you would need to buy furniture and I think that would be more expensive.

So you would at the very least need to have work to come to on this budget, otherwise you won't survive more than a few weeks.

Another option for you might be sponsorship? Do you work for a global dealer you could transfer with? That might put you on a temporary visa, but so long as you understand that and negotiate your package well, it might work for you.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:21 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winks
Hi, just wondered what prospects there are for a master vehicle technician in Australia?
I am 40 years old, two daughter 8 and 11, and a partner ( her who must be obeyed)
Been thinking about this for a while, but I think I'm ready for the next step.
My question are....is there a call for master vehicle technicians? And with only 20k in back pocket is it feasible?

Thanks

Winks
You're a qualified motor mechanic? If so then I'd say your prospects are good. Most tradies do well here. £20k is enough if you budget carefully. What work does your partner do?

Other than that, what the lady said.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:26 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes, the visa fee is now £5k?! Could have sworn it was around £1.3k for the whole family just a few years ago.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
Yikes, the visa fee is now £5k?! Could have sworn it was around £1.3k for the whole family just a few years ago.
You used to pay per family, now you pay per person. So it has increased massively yes.

Actually with a slightly better exchange rate it is more like GBP4k now.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jan 7th 2014 at 7:31 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:33 pm
Banned

Personally I'd say it's a price worth paying but I bet it stops a lot of people in their tracks.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi, yes I am a qualified master tech, and my partner is a nursery nurse. 5k.....wow, was looking down the route of sponsored visa as might have opportunity with Renault. Very early days but optimistic of taking it further.
Thanks for advice.
Winks