VAT on Goods?

Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default VAT on Goods?

Hi Guys

I have just had a shipping agent in who advised me that if we buy new goods here i.e. white goods we were able to claim back the VAT is this the case please?

If so, as anybody done this and how do you go about claiming back the VAT. Only I am looking to buy some new goods before I head out there.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Debbie
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:34 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT on Goods?

Most countries will refund the VAT on goods being exported, and most international airport terminals have a desk where you can show your goods and receipts and get the refund. Not sure how it works for refunds on goods sent unaccompanied but the principle must be the same.

You may have to pay import duty on the items when they land in Australia if they are new and unused, as they may not be classified the same as household items. Check with Customs.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Mar 21st 2011 at 9:36 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:38 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you I would just buy the new appliances when you get to Oz. Prices are similar here and you will get local warranty. Also you will be supporting the Australian economy and will be purchasing items manufactured for the Australian market.

Check out some websites for pricing ( www.thegoodguys.com.au for instance ) to get an idea of retail prices. Some appliances ( fridge for example ) may not be ideally suited to Australia. Also washing machines on the whole tend to be much larger than UK models and generally top loading not front loading.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:33 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'd have a hard time getting your fridge on the plane

There was another thread on this recently so maybe it's doing the rounds with shippers or they are trying to get you to buy more stuff for them to shift.

Anyhow. Here's a page from the HMRC. To me it suggests that you can claim back if you present the goods and the receipts at the point of departure.

As suggested above. Get in touch with a GoodGuys in the area you are moving to and ask them their best price.