Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance companies to avoid?

Car Insurance companies to avoid?

Old Mar 17th 2011, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Insurance companies to avoid?

Need to insure our new car. We are looking for a good company (i.e. not someone that will find every loophole to wriggle out when the need arises). Need not necessarily be the cheapest. We were previously with Axa but unfortunately it appears they don't do car insurance here. We have a 20 year, no claims history (and that to in Dubai!).

Another thing, we prefer to get repairs, if any, to be done only by an authorised dealer of our choice as opposed to a repair shop chosen by the company. Is that possible?

Any insurance company that you recommend?

Ta

Last edited by IndieG; Mar 17th 2011 at 8:06 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance companies to avoid?

Originally Posted by IndieG
Need to insure our new car. We are looking for a good company (i.e. not someone that will find every loophole to wriggle out when the need arises). Need not necessarily be the cheapest. We were previously with Axa but unfortunately it appears they don't do car insurance here. We have a 20 year, no claims history (and that to in Dubai!).

Another thing, we prefer to get repairs, if any, to be done only by an authorised dealer of our choice as opposed to a repair shop chosen by the company. Is that possible?

Any insurance company that you recommend?

Ta
We are with Budget Direct. Premiums are low (not sure if cheapest but I am happy with what I am paying), have made 2 big claims with everything done to my satisfaction (genuine parts used), used repairer of my choice, everything handled well with good comms from them. Recommended.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Amazulu - will check them out
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Just taken out insurance with payasyoudrive, they were 50% cheaper than anyone else.

15,000Km max, no drivers under 30 came out at $420 for a Mazda CX7
Old Mar 18th 2011, 3:03 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I'd avoid Youi ... based on a bad experience the MIL had.

We've never had to claim so can't really judge the others.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks. We're looking at RACV and Aami - they're the only ones that are fine with my husband's international driving license (hubby will be converting to a vic license after buying the car). Budget said they won't insure if you don't have a VIC license.

It's been a hectic week - household goods arrived without any problems at customs, signed our new rental, got a car (with a good discount too!), hope to tie up the iinsurance tomorrow! Whew
Old Mar 18th 2011, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. We're looking at RACV and Aami - they're the only ones that are fine with my husband's international driving license (hubby will be converting to a vic license after buying the car). Budget said they won't insure if you don't have a VIC license.

It's been a hectic week - household goods arrived without any problems at customs, signed our new rental, got a car (with a good discount too!), hope to tie up the iinsurance tomorrow! Whew
We used to be with RACV and changed to GIO because they were cheaper (when we moved, and we bundled house and car and stuff). I have no complaints with either. No claim yet with GIO so can't comment on that although they have always been very helpful with any insurance query. I've had a claim as a third-party with RACV and can't fault them either.

I have heard good and bad about AAMI, some bad from a friend who used to be an underwriter, and more bad from another friend who had to claim (Ok maybe more bad than good ), but that was a few years ago so they could have brushed up their act. I must admit that I am put off them by their ads anyway Although they are still marginally better than the BudgetDirect ones
Old Mar 18th 2011, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Elise - we are looking at RACV too. Saw a program on Today Tonight where they showed some dodgy stuff about AAMI!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Elise - we are looking at RACV too. Saw a program on Today Tonight where they showed some dodgy stuff about AAMI!
You do know that Today Tonight is the TV equivalent of The Daily Fail and The S(c)um, right?
Not that I'd ever question anything bad about AAMI. The ads prove they are BAD!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if they only cover Queensland but look at Suncorp.

I suppose the same applies in the UK but it may be better to look at what the policy actually offers rather than just the price.

There are plenty of people in QLD at the moment who wish they had looked more carefully at the terms and conditions of their policies.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Neil. I've never watched UK tv...lol

What is a "windscreen option"? Would you recommend taking that?
Old Mar 19th 2011, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

windscreen option covers broken screen and other glass I think without having to pay any excess or losing no claims bonus. Check policy though for exact details!

We have it and have used it.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:56 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Windscreen option is definitely worth having if you plan to drive on any of the dirt and gravel roads which lead to the more interesting bits of Australia - if you only ever drive around town on bitumen roads then it isn't quite as important. It gives you a replacement windscreen without paying excess or affecting your no claims bonus.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Windscreen option is definitely worth having if you plan to drive on any of the dirt and gravel roads which lead to the more interesting bits of Australia - if you only ever drive around town on bitumen roads then it isn't quite as important. It gives you a replacement windscreen without paying excess or affecting your no claims bonus.
Some of the so-called urban roads are quite poorly laid and break up frequently. Our new Cooper took a direct hit from loose tarmac and fortunately Allianz had windscreen replacement with O'Briens so it was replaced no questions asked the next available day I had and at my home.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all. We're going with RACV and also taking the windshield option.