Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Validation trip to perth

Validation trip to perth

Old May 5th 2006, 8:19 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Validation trip to perth

Originally Posted by Steve2438
Spot a bit of humour when you see it

Old May 5th 2006, 8:28 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Steve.
Old May 5th 2006, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tracey brien
If you think $9 is pricy for a T shirt, I dread to think where you buy your clothes in the UK
bloody hell made me look at what i put down...it was about £9.00 english but if you know anywhere selling for about $9.00 let me know?
Old May 5th 2006, 9:35 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

bloody hell made me look at what i put down...it was about £9.00 english but if you know anywhere selling for about $9.00 let me know?
chain reaction used to sell em for 8 dollars
Old May 5th 2006, 11:00 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muzza04
I agree entirely with this. ..Just totally bland

To add....think the Trueman Show
I've done the whole house on half an acre thing, we used to spend all our free time keeping the place, miss one weekend and you'd have to take a week off work just to get the grass cut

Now we live in bland, trueman show, suburbia, and for where we are at in our lives right now it's the place to be. With 3 kids i don't have time for high maintenance (i know not all large blocks are but still more hassle than i need), my kids can play out in the street or in the local park with the neighbours kids, where we were before they would have been isolated reliant on me driving them everywhere. Don't get me wrong i'd love an extra metre width to may patio and maybe space for a couple of extra palm trees round the pool, but right now it's good.

Oh and by the way.... i live north of Joondalup and my doctor has a sign up saying that he will do home visits if you are unable to visit the surgery, i know you would have to be at deaths door to get one, but that was the same in the UK, i also went shopping in K Mart in Clarkson today and not one of the shop assistants i came across had anything other than an Aussie accent. It's not all little England up here, i wouldn't be here if it was, when you live and mix with everyone in your daily life, school, work, playgroup etc.... you will come across people of all nationalities, even aussies

Lynn
Old May 7th 2006, 8:16 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
I've done the whole house on half an acre thing, we used to spend all our free time keeping the place, miss one weekend and you'd have to take a week off work just to get the grass cut

Now we live in bland, trueman show, suburbia, and for where we are at in our lives right now it's the place to be. With 3 kids i don't have time for high maintenance (i know not all large blocks are but still more hassle than i need), my kids can play out in the street or in the local park with the neighbours kids, where we were before they would have been isolated reliant on me driving them everywhere. Don't get me wrong i'd love an extra metre width to may patio and maybe space for a couple of extra palm trees round the pool, but right now it's good.

Oh and by the way.... i live north of Joondalup and my doctor has a sign up saying that he will do home visits if you are unable to visit the surgery, i know you would have to be at deaths door to get one, but that was the same in the UK, i also went shopping in K Mart in Clarkson today and not one of the shop assistants i came across had anything other than an Aussie accent. It's not all little England up here, i wouldn't be here if it was, when you live and mix with everyone in your daily life, school, work, playgroup etc.... you will come across people of all nationalities, even aussies

Lynn

Brilliant Lynn, I can relate to your post, honest and not negative, thanks for your true honesty!
Old May 7th 2006, 9:00 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth

Lynn
Have to agree also with you Lyn. Each to one's own I say. But for us, living in suburbia is great! The kids are able to play with friends form accross the road, hubby works away so I know there are neighbours close at hand (in case of big spiders etc :scared: )
I wouldn't dream of slating anyone for where they live, it's what is right for them. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but there's a away of going about it, without being rude to people who have different ideas to you.
I live in Ellenbrook, as the OP says - to far out - from what? OK so we are not near the coast (20 minute drive) so what? I don't mind the drive. I have everything I need on a day to day basis right on my doorstep. When I want other things eg bigger shopping centre, lunch at Hilary's or a day at the beach - I drive!
It's fine to give people some ideas of the areas, but until you get there and look around you really can't decide. And even then, you decide for yourself not what other people have said. We 'expected' we would live by the coast, but when we got here we met up with old friends, liked where they live and decided to settle here.

Tracey
Old May 7th 2006, 9:16 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I never felt that I was living in 'Little Britain' living in Joondalup. It was definitely the nicest area we lived in since emmigrating in 1983. Firstly we lived in Wanneroo, then moved to Woodvale where I went to High School, then moved to Joondalup where I lived till moving back to England in 99.

We lived in the older area of Joondalup, parents built their own house...had great views, neighbours....was lovely. I worked in Whitford City and was just about to transfer to the new Target in Joondalup which was just about to open, when I moved back to England! Would have been great to have worked in Joondalup - so convenient!

Anyway after I came back, My Dad eventually sold the house and then rented in the new part of Joondalup until finding a house to buy in the new part. I loved staying there when I came back for a holiday! Maybe I do like to associate with poms ????? I don't like drinking in Aussie style pubs, unless you are talking 'The Boat' or one of the bars down at Hillarys Marina. We mainly drank at 'The Old Bailey' (which isn't the best pub in the world...but I liked it) and 'The Moon and Sixpence' (Woodvale).

For me, I just love the convenience of Joondalup. You have shops, Drs, Hospital, Movies, Restaurants, Pubs, Police, Station, Industrial shopping estate, etc. I spent many hours walking the paths (especially in the old part...up from around the duck pond).

It now looks as if I may not be coming back to Joondalup after all. My Father has the house on the market and has had an offer on a Woodvale property accepted provided he sell our house within 4 weeks. I am not sure if my partner and I will be able to afford a house in Joondalup of our own, they are quite pricy!! The Woodvale house, has more bedrooms, and a pool which sounds great, but we will have to get buses to the train station or shops, and the only bonus, is having the 'moon & sixpence' in walking distance!

oh...well what will be, will be!

Old May 7th 2006, 9:25 am
visa granted 16/5/06

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
I never felt that I was living in 'Little Britain' living in Joondalup. It was definitely the nicest area we lived in since emmigrating in 1983. Firstly we lived in Wanneroo, then moved to Woodvale where I went to High School, then moved to Joondalup where I lived till moving back to England in 99.

We lived in the older area of Joondalup, parents built their own house...had great views, neighbours....was lovely. I worked in Whitford City and was just about to transfer to the new Target in Joondalup which was just about to open, when I moved back to England! Would have been great to have worked in Joondalup - so convenient!

Anyway after I came back, My Dad eventually sold the house and then rented in the new part of Joondalup until finding a house to buy in the new part. I loved staying there when I came back for a holiday! Maybe I do like to associate with poms ????? I don't like drinking in Aussie style pubs, unless you are talking 'The Boat' or one of the bars down at Hillarys Marina. We mainly drank at 'The Old Bailey' (which isn't the best pub in the world...but I liked it) and 'The Moon and Sixpence' (Woodvale).

For me, I just love the convenience of Joondalup. You have shops, Drs, Hospital, Movies, Restaurants, Pubs, Police, Station, Industrial shopping estate, etc. I spent many hours walking the paths (especially in the old part...up from around the duck pond).

It now looks as if I may not be coming back to Joondalup after all. My Father has the house on the market and has had an offer on a Woodvale property accepted provided he sell our house within 4 weeks. I am not sure if my partner and I will be able to afford a house in Joondalup of our own, they are quite pricy!! The Woodvale house, has more bedrooms, and a pool which sounds great, but we will have to get buses to the train station or shops, and the only bonus, is having the 'moon & sixpence' in walking distance!

oh...well what will be, will be!

Sounded great, hope wherever you end up in Perth that you'll love it as much as you hope, good luck and nice to read something nice!
Old May 7th 2006, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by soonbethere
Brilliant Lynn, I can relate to your post, honest and not negative, thanks for your true honesty!
negative...never...i just told it as i see it...i thought thats how you northerns like to be told stuff...as i said it was my view,there are some very nice places up there...but....how come when i say something in "True honesty"..because its not what you want to hear it's wrong
Old May 7th 2006, 11:16 am
visa granted 16/5/06

negative...never...i just told it as i see it...i thought thats how you northerns like to be told stuff...as i said it was my view,there are some very nice places up there...but....how come when i say something in "True honesty"..because its not what you want to hear it's wrong

No one said it was wrong, living in Manchester and proud to say it, we don't for some strange reason like the fact that you seem to see 'northerners' as a different breed
we could say that "us ere Northerners" see you as a load of Jade Goodes (from big brother!) not knowing anywhere north of the blessed Watford Gap, or anywhere other than the places round her little world.... think about that not nice is it.....oh and only joking by the way, can't you see a joke either when you see it
Old May 7th 2006, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soonbethere
No one said it was wrong, living in Manchester and proud to say it, we don't for some strange reason like the fact that you seem to see 'northerners' as a different breed
we could say that "us ere Northerners" see you as a load of Jade Goodes (from big brother!) not knowing anywhere north of the blessed Watford Gap, or anywhere other than the places round her little world.... think about that not nice is it.....oh and only joking by the way, can't you see a joke either when you see it
well i have to say that you are the only northerner i know of that is proud to say you like the north...and still live there..if it's so fantastic up there why are you looking to move,come on be honest with yourself manchester is a dump always has been... always will be.there are loads of people i know (From but no longer live)up north that are fantastic,great sence of humour maybe yours will inprove when you leave,i dont know what you problem is,but i have lived all over the UK and the world in various jobs and i can have a view of a place if i want
.... by the way just because i live in the south it doent mean i'm from the south and come on.... Jade Goodes cant be that thick look at the money she's made
Old May 7th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Want character in a city?

Might have to expand on that word "character" for NOR...by character i mean some where different from next door...Most of the places mainley Joodalup and north are the same as everybody else,you drive into a subi and you could be anywhere.each area had the same doctors,dentist shopping area's all very man made for a purpose...nothing wrong with that at all,that how commuituies are formed...what i'm saying is SOR there are area's/road's,streets that are different,lots of different bars, eating area's,you can go somewhere different and feel like it's different...maybe not much but aleast some....why is SOR poor mans relation to NOR,thats exactly the same attitude we found out there...god... get over yourself
You should have come down south, its beautiful down here,shhhh dont tell eerybody though, its a secret
Denise
Old May 7th 2006, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cranni
You should have come down south, its beautiful down here,shhhh dont tell eerybody though, its a secret
Denise
Thanks Denise maybe we should have gone futher down.but all this migration process is about finding a area you like...so might have to look further your way..

steve
Old May 7th 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Denise maybe we should have gone futher down.but all this migration process is about finding a area you like...so might have to look further your way..

steve
Well Steve we live in the beautiful Bunbury, not as many poms here, so many different cultures, which is great, we live in Dalyellup and love it but there are many beautiful places down here. It annoys me that we dont get a mention, people come over have a look at perth and then decide, but as much as i like Perth the real gem is down south believe me.
I think this is just what you are looking for.
Denise from sunny Morecambe [northener] but a posh one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.