Reload this Page >

Validation trip - driving license issue

Validation trip - driving license issue

Old Jan 23rd 2010, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

shurilo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Validation trip - driving license issue

Hello all,
I am April 2009 175 applicant and our family got the PR about 2 weeks ago.
We plan to move to Melbourne in a year or so.
Currently we are planning validation trip , and there is one potential problem regarding the driving license.
I understand that I can use my international driving license in Victoria for first six month in Australia and after that I have to get the local one (to pass the driving test in Australia). According to Vicroads the six months are counted form the first entry to Australia.
Since those six month are counted from the first entry (validation trip) it means that when I finally move there I won't be able to drive if it is later than 6 months after the validation trip till I get the Australian license.
Is there any solution for this problem from your experience?

Thank you,
Alex
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 10:50 am
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all
Default Re: Validation trip - driving license issue

Originally Posted by shurilo
Hello all,
I am April 2009 175 applicant and our family got the PR about 2 weeks ago.
We plan to move to Melbourne in a year or so.
Currently we are planning validation trip , and there is one potential problem regarding the driving license.
I understand that I can use my international driving license in Victoria for first six month in Australia and after that I have to get the local one (to pass the driving test in Australia). According to Vicroads the six months are counted form the first entry to Australia.
Since those six month are counted from the first entry (validation trip) it means that when I finally move there I won't be able to drive if it is later than 6 months after the validation trip till I get the Australian license.
Is there any solution for this problem from your experience?

Thank you,
Alex
It is one of those anomalies where a State Law does not recognise the reality of what gaining a visa can mean for some.
It would seem that you can still get a licence without a test which is some consolation and you'll just have to make it something to be done prior to doing any driving if you want to do so legally unless VIC Roads have a means of making allowances.

I've put in feedback to them and they claim to reply within seven days and so if I find something out I'll post it.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...rsLicences.htm
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks!
It seems that we need to postpone the validation trip so I could still use my license for couple of months when we finally move there.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
It seems that we need to postpone the validation trip so I could still use my license for couple of months when we finally move there.
As far as Vic Roads are concerned when you are validating your visa you are a visitor. That means you can drive on your UK licence while you are here.
They won't know - or understand - what the validation process means. So when you move here permnently , tha's when you start the clock ticking for getting the new licence, as then you are actually living here, not visiting.
When you go in to get our Vic licence, they will neither know nor care that you had a holiday here a few months previously
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As far as Vic Roads are concerned when you are validating your visa you are a visitor. That means you can drive on your UK licence while you are here.
They won't know - or understand - what the validation process means. So when you move here permnently , tha's when you start the clock ticking for getting the new licence, as then you are actually living here, not visiting.
When you go in to get our Vic licence, they will neither know nor care that you had a holiday here a few months previously
Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 5:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
You cannot get a Victoria licence until you move to Victoria. Even if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident under the migration laws, merely visiting Victoria does not mean you have to (or can) get a driving licence.

Think about it ... Australian citizens and PRs from other states (and living outside Australia) visit Victoria all the time.