Validation Trip

Old Jun 5th 2006, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future
Default Validation Trip

Hi we are due to validate in August and would like some advice from those of you who have done it all before.
What can we actually do whilst we are there? Can we get drivers licenses, get tax file numbers, or register with medi-care etc ? We plan to set up a bank account from over here, but is there anything that you would recommend that we could sort out on the trip rather than having to wait until we take up residency?
We plan to move out permenantly in January and plan to look at various areas to hopefully rent in and check out various schools but what else would people recommend.
thanks for any advice
Michelle
Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:53 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Validation Trip

Definitely get a bank account - you only have to show the passport and visa but have to do it within a fairly short time of first entry otherwise you will have to go through the 100 points maze.

If you can cobble together some address you can do everything - licences, tax numbers etc: after all, you will be "resident" then!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Little Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant future

Hi, We validated 4 months before coming permanently. You cant get your medicare card until you are here permanently though as it takes a couple of weeks after arriving for the computer system to put you on to enable you to apply. Also, I believe that you cant do tax file number whilst just visiting.
The other things we did was bring extra luggage to leave with family(we got 40kg on both validation trip and on one way trip, so we took as much as possible and left stuff with family who live here. And we checked out schools, and got the children places. There are often waiting lists on the good schools so it helps to talk to the heads in person. Our school had places for 2 of our 3, but after pleading they squeezed the 3rd into her year. We also looked at heaps of real estate. Most importantly, have a bit of a break and enjoy the hioliday. By the time you get to validation trip you are quite knackered!!!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 6:19 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micged
Hi we are due to validate in August and would like some advice from those of you who have done it all before.
What can we actually do whilst we are there? Can we get drivers licenses, get tax file numbers, or register with medi-care etc ? We plan to set up a bank account from over here, but is there anything that you would recommend that we could sort out on the trip rather than having to wait until we take up residency?
We plan to move out permenantly in January and plan to look at various areas to hopefully rent in and check out various schools but what else would people recommend.
thanks for any advice
Michelle

apar from opening a bank account i would'nt really recommend doing any of the others, if you get a tfn then it looks as though you have been resident in Aus for tax purposes for an extra few months, so you have a tax form to do. There is really no advantage to doing any of these on a validation trip. I would however spend my time loking at areas (properly) if you like an area find a real estate rep you like and get them onside so that you can contact them before you come back and know they will reply to you and not just ignore you. Most of all enjoy the time you have here, or save the upset when you go back and just stay

Lynn
Old Jun 6th 2006, 6:30 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is that on my validation trip I got driving licence, TFN, bank account etc etc - and was heartily grateful that I didn't have to rush about doing all that on "real" arrival!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wol
All I can say is that on my validation trip I got driving licence, TFN, bank account etc etc - and was heartily grateful that I didn't have to rush about doing all that on "real" arrival!

Same here really...we took it as a validation trip and that was it...get as much of the paper work out the way as possible...we still had time for and chill'd out