I own an Electrolux
7.94%
I own somthing different. See below!!
30.16%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Vacuums. A word with 2 consecutive U's.

Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:17 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacuums. A word with 2 consecutive U's.

The first thing we ever bought together 11 years ago was a Hoover (how sad is that?!). It is confined to cleaning the car and after decorating but is still going strong. We bought a bagless Electrolux a few years ago and it has been nothing but trouble. The belt went on it within a few weeks and it has made a right old noise ever since. The hose keeps blocking and it has lost most of its suction.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:19 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

A Sebo. Unfortunately, a make that doesn't seem to be here in Aus.

A
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:33 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

We have a hoover petsafe & its crap
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:36 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Pete,

No, no, no - do not listen to their lies - they have been brainwashed. Do NOT get a Dyson - it will ruin your carpets, your life and turn you into an enraged, foul-mouthed monster every time you use it....or is that only me

It wasn't always like this. When I first got my Dyson, I thought I'd died and gone to hoovering heaven. I merrily skipped across the carpets with it, watching in fascination as the little see-through cylinder filled up with all kinds of nasty bits and pieces .....hoovering was such a pleasure, our carpets looked wonderful, life was wonderful and I was happy.

But after a year, things changed - at first it was imperceptible but once started, it went quickly downhill. The wonderful deep-throated growl of my Dyson went away, never to return. Instead I was left with something that sounded like a teenager whose voice was breaking - sometimes high, sometimes low. Our carpets began to return to their pre-Dyson state. My teenage Dyson then entered its rebellious stage - it became picky about what it ate, spitting stuff back out if it didn't like the taste and, even worse, it refused to eat certain things at all, like dried cat food and peanuts.

I was concerned and took it to the Dyson Doctor for a medical but he could find nothing wrong. So I let the Dyson recuperate for a while, with just a gentle hoover twice a week - nothing too onerous and just a simple diet of cat hair and dust..all to no avail! I have cajoled, threatened and occasionally, I am ashamed to say, been reduced to using physical violence (although it probably hurt me more that the Dyson) ....but again to no avail!!

So I'm stuck with a bloody useless b*****d of a Dyson. We have the occasional good hoover day where it seems to be back to it's old self, but most of the time I now have to resort to getting down on my hands and knees to use the little Dyson hair remover attachment to hoover up the cat hair.

It's a sad story, I know, but I tell you in the hope that you won't make the same mistake as I did and get taken in by its shiny gleaming colours, deep-throated growl and insidious promises of lovely clean carpets.....it won't last, believe me.

My advice? Get a Henry!

Nicky
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Dyson are crap. Avoid.

Get a Miele/Sebo (same company). Real German quality.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Pete,

No, no, no - do not listen to their lies - they have been brainwashed. Do NOT get a Dyson - it will ruin your carpets, your life and turn you into an enraged, foul-mouthed monster every time you use it....or is that only me

It wasn't always like this. When I first got my Dyson, I thought I'd died and gone to hoovering heaven. I merrily skipped across the carpets with it, watching in fascination as the little see-through cylinder filled up with all kinds of nasty bits and pieces .....hoovering was such a pleasure, our carpets looked wonderful, life was wonderful and I was happy.

But after a year, things changed - at first it was imperceptible but once started, it went quickly downhill. The wonderful deep-throated growl of my Dyson went away, never to return. Instead I was left with something that sounded like a teenager whose voice was breaking - sometimes high, sometimes low. Our carpets began to return to their pre-Dyson state. My teenage Dyson then entered its rebellious stage - it became picky about what it ate, spitting stuff back out if it didn't like the taste and, even worse, it refused to eat certain things at all, like dried cat food and peanuts.

I was concerned and took it to the Dyson Doctor for a medical but he could find nothing wrong. So I let the Dyson recuperate for a while, with just a gentle hoover twice a week - nothing too onerous and just a simple diet of cat hair and dust..all to no avail! I have cajoled, threatened and occasionally, I am ashamed to say, been reduced to using physical violence (although it probably hurt me more that the Dyson) ....but again to no avail!!

So I'm stuck with a bloody useless b*****d of a Dyson. We have the occasional good hoover day where it seems to be back to it's old self, but most of the time I now have to resort to getting down on my hands and knees to use the little Dyson hair remover attachment to hoover up the cat hair.

It's a sad story, I know, but I tell you in the hope that you won't make the same mistake as I did and get taken in by its shiny gleaming colours, deep-throated growl and insidious promises of lovely clean carpets.....it won't last, believe me.

My advice? Get a Henry!

Nicky
Karma sent. Am genuinely (ok, maybe not) crying here for you. How sad to be let down by your trusted, deep throated Dyson.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

We recently bought a Nilfisk for $249. It does a fine job. (sorry - I just can't think of anything else to say about it!).
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:49 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeteY
I've always thought vacuum is a cool word, but thats by the by.

Need some advice. We need a new vaccum.

A) do we get a cheapie? Is it really worth the big bucks you can pay? How much did/would you spend ona vacuum?

B) What brand do you have/recommend? I have posted a poll, but id love some typed opinions.

Cheers all

Pete.
I go for a Dyson every time, we've had 3 over the years, none broke on us, one was used at work, a smaller trundle version for the caravan and an upright for the house. you cant beat em. We have 2 very hairy dogs and the upright does an excellent job on picking up the hairs. Buy one from uk before you come as they are well expensive out here.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:49 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Karma sent. Am genuinely (ok, maybe not) crying here for you. How sad to be let down by your trusted, deep throated Dyson.
Thanks mate - I appreciate your thoughts at this difficult time. I'm sorry I can't really talk - I'm having a bad hoover day.

Nicky

(Actually I'm having a bad plastering day, but that's something I'll not bore the forum with.....yet! )
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:00 am
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by arkon
I go for a Dyson every time, we've had 3 over the years, none broke on us, one was used at work, a smaller trundle version for the caravan and an upright for the house. you cant beat em. We have 2 very hairy dogs and the upright does an excellent job on picking up the hairs. Buy one from uk before you come as they are well expensive out here.
Yours picks up hairs? I can't beleive it - this can't be true! I have four cats - all different colours and varying hairiness - and Dyson won't eat up any of their hairs. Perhaps Dyson only likes dog-hair....ah, yes, this is the answer......so surely if I get a dog, Dyson won't be able to distinguish between cat and dog hair and bingo! will then have to eat ALL hair, cat and dog.

Thank you Arkon, you are truly truly a saviour. I'm off to the pet-shop now to get the hairiest ruddy dog I can lay my hands on.

I am forever in your debt.

Nicky
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:13 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Yours picks up hairs? I can't beleive it - this can't be true! I have four cats - all different colours and varying hairiness - and Dyson won't eat up any of their hairs. Perhaps Dyson only likes dog-hair....ah, yes, this is the answer......so surely if I get a dog, Dyson won't be able to distinguish between cat and dog hair and bingo! will then have to eat ALL hair, cat and dog.

Thank you Arkon, you are truly truly a saviour. I'm off to the pet-shop now to get the hairiest ruddy dog I can lay my hands on.

Nicky
Blimey....a few strong opinions here!! Thanks for the replies.

Well....still not sure what to get. Im pretty wary of the Dysons. Both the inlaws, and my parents have them and reckon they are great, as do alot of people on here. Problem is the bad reports!! There are lots of them!! If they were cheaper i might be tempted, but i would really regret paying $800 on one and getting a dud.

Im quite tempted by an LG harvey normal have on special at the moment. Bagless...cylinder, and $250. Pretty good value i guess, and i really like LG stuff, excellent value i reckon.

We shall seee........
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=PeteY]harvey normal
QUOTE]

SP??? I think not!!!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:29 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Nicky
The trundle along one doesnt pick up hairs but the upright does a great job at it. make sure your brush spinning? (not the one on your dressing table LOL )
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:31 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by PeteY
Blimey....a few strong opinions here!! Thanks for the replies.

Well....still not sure what to get. Im pretty wary of the Dysons. Both the inlaws, and my parents have them and reckon they are great, as do alot of people on here. Problem is the bad reports!! There are lots of them!! If they were cheaper i might be tempted, but i would really regret paying $800 on one and getting a dud.

Im quite tempted by an LG harvey normal have on special at the moment. Bagless...cylinder, and $250. Pretty good value i guess, and i really like LG stuff, excellent value i reckon.

We shall seee........
You get more bad reports because they outsell all the other makes about 2 to 1 last I heard. More sold = more breakdowns. but they must sell more for a reason. I wouldn't be without my baglesss wonder.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:36 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

OK!!

My Mum owns a grands worth of Kirby. My Dyson upright wasn't sucking properly, it was old and had seen us through a big reno and lets face it we all tend to suck up stuff we shouldn't..... So i was using the Kirby. It left the dog hairs on the carpet so....

We went to the shops and after me walking out to let HUP do some of his infamous bargaining we got a cylinder jobby this time. It has a turbo head on it (with a spinning brush) and its awesome and i like it better than the upright, although i have to empty it more.

We used it directly after using the Kirby and the dust that it pulled from the carpet was huge!!

After owning an LG washing machine i will NEVER EVER buy LG ever again, i cannot stress how shit that machine was.

As for other "bagless" hoovers, they are just that bagless. Dyson have patented the cyclone technology so nothing else gets near it. I am also asthmatic and hideously allergic to dust, the dyson gets it out and the cylinder one is great for all the Tazzie oak floors and tiles Best of all worlds.

Jesus am i boring or what :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.