British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Vacuums. A word with 2 consecutive U's. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/vacuums-word-2-consecutive-us-317994/)

PeteY Aug 4th 2005 7:29 am

Vacuums. A word with 2 consecutive U's.

I've always thought vacuum is a cool word, but thats by the by.

Need some advice. We need a new vaccum.

A) do we get a cheapie? Is it really worth the big bucks you can pay? How much did/would you spend ona vacuum?

B) What brand do you have/recommend? I have posted a poll, but id love some typed opinions.

Cheers all

Pete.

tiredwithtwins Aug 4th 2005 7:36 am

Re: Vacuums. A word with 2 consecutive U's.

dunno if you can get em in aus, but we have had electrolux E450 for years....a white jobby, no bells or whistles just a practical upright with a hose attachment for getting in the nooks and crannies. also does edge to edge 'ooverin....!
when ours died last year after 6 years of hard use, we got an electrolux bagless jobby.......it is the first and last time we buy a bagless - the bluddy muck and dust gets everywhere as you wrestle the collection chamber from the damn thing!! are dysons this bad??? Also, if you are used to a hoover that does edge to edge hoovering, dont get one that doesnt....its so blinkin annoying to have to keep getting the hose off to get that extra inch cleaned around everything!!!!!!

just my personal opinion :D

sue :D :D :D

webgum Aug 4th 2005 7:42 am

I've always steered clear of Dyson due mainly to their awful breakdown/reliability rate. They have always got a bad mark in Which magazine due to this.

I've got a Miele. With bag, good for dog fur! I think Miele was rated highly by my bible (Which) for reliability and good pickup. They aren't the cheapest but are cheaper than a Dyson. And I've seen them in most electrical stores in Perth.

Another thing - my hubby used to work for a company who managed landfill sites in the UK and up at the dumps the most frequently seen vacuum was...... a Dyson. So a lot of people were dumping their Dysons!

optus Aug 4th 2005 7:46 am

Originally Posted by PeteY

A) do we get a cheapie? Is it really worth the big bucks you can pay? How much did/would you spend ona vacuum?

B) What brand do you have/recommend? I have posted a poll, but id love some typed opinions.

Cheers all

Pete.

We’re confirmed upright Dyson (cylinder version is crap) users, they are fantastic for sucking up cockroaches, you see them spinning in the cyclone.

You can get Dyson’s over here easily enough, but they are pricey $850 for the basic model.

OPTUS

Alan & Sonia Aug 4th 2005 7:47 am

Originally Posted by webgum
I've always steered clear of Dyson due mainly to their awful breakdown/reliability rate. They have always got a bad mark in Which magazine due to this.

I've got a Miele. With bag, good for dog fur! I think Miele was rated highly by my bible (Which) for reliability and good pickup. They aren't the cheapest but are cheaper than a Dyson. And I've seen them in most electrical stores in Perth.

Another thing - my hubby used to work for a company who managed landfill sites in the UK and up at the dumps the most frequently seen vacuum was...... a Dyson. So a lot of people were dumping their Dysons!

Go Go DYSON
We have had one for years with no problem and it has had to contend with the hair from two dogs and a child! (not the hair from the child...just the mess!!!)
As for emptying just click off the container, empty in bin...and click back on again and away you go.
Happy vacuuuuuuuuming!!

sam&molly Aug 4th 2005 7:51 am

Originally Posted by PeteY

Cheers all

Pete.

Had a Dyson in the UK, it was 5 years old and going strong. Had to leave it, but went straight for another Dyson on arrival – won’t change to anything else not. Dysons are a must if you have pets that shed hairs.

Molly

PeteY Aug 4th 2005 7:55 am

Originally Posted by sam&molly
Dysons are a must if you have pets that shed hairs.
Molly

No pets, but my wife does moult every spring. Always amazed at the quantity of hairs in the bathroom.

steandleigh Aug 4th 2005 7:55 am

We had a upright Dyson in the Uk (DC10, I think), was very good, no complaints, no breakdowns, had it 3 years.

Got to Australia and was shocked at how expensive they are. Couple that with the fact that we have floor tiles everywhere in our rental - I just have to sweep them with a broom - bar bedrooms and I didn't think the excess expenditure could really be justified.

Anyway, we bought an LG 1600w hoover (still can't get used to calling them a 'vaccuum!!!' ) not an upright (what's a "none upright" called :confused:- is it a cylinder??? ) and it does the job just fine. Cost about $110, I think.

Happy hoovering.... :D

Flutterscutter Aug 4th 2005 8:00 am

I am a Dyson fan. Had both types, cylinder and upright. Agree that upright is far better than the cylinder. We dont have any carpet in the entire house, but its still great for tiled floors.

zx10r_aus Aug 4th 2005 8:04 am

I have a missus it works fine. Not only does it vacuum but, it also cooks........... :D

Megalania Aug 4th 2005 8:12 am

Sanyo SC-240:

http://www.theallergyreliefcenter.co...ges/sc-240.jpg

Had it for 20 years - believe they are still in the market - for good reason: they do the job well. Even better they still cost about $50.

manxfamily Aug 4th 2005 8:18 am

We have a Dyson and it has had broken parts a couple of times, not mechanical though (touch wood), and a quick phone call to them (we have extended warranty) and the new part arrives 2 days later - great service.

Whether a Dyson or not, I recommend an upright only, anything else is just not good enough. ;)

Mel n Daz Aug 4th 2005 8:23 am

Originally Posted by manxfamily
We have a Dyson and it has had broken parts a couple of times, not mechanical though (touch wood), and a quick phone call to them (we have extended warranty) and the new part arrives 2 days later - great service.

Whether a Dyson or not, I recommend an upright only, anything else is just not good enough. ;)

We have a cylinder Dyson, which is very good, but my sis has a little cheapy cylinder thing from Argos and the suction on it is amazing!

I would go for the Dyson personally though.

Melissa :)

Fuzzy Duck Aug 4th 2005 8:49 am

Stay well clear of the Dyson's. We originally bought an upright DC04 which came with a 2 Year warranty on parts and by god did we need it, after 10 Months we had changed almost every part and eventually managed to negotiate a new one in exchange for the obviously faulty one we had bought, it got no better with this one going exactly the same way.
We now own a Kirby and you can't fault it.

Christ I am boring, discussing the merits of hoovers on the interweb!!! :scared:

ABCDiamond Aug 4th 2005 9:11 am

We bought a Kirby in 1991, it's still going strong :)