British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Vacuums. A word with 2 consecutive U's. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/vacuums-word-2-consecutive-us-317994/)

Amazulu Aug 4th 2005 11:39 am

Re: Vacuums. A word with 2 consecutive U's.

Originally Posted by arkon
but they must sell more for a reason.

Relentless marketing?.

mr mover Aug 4th 2005 11:41 am

Im surprised most "pommies "can spell VACUUM we always have a laugh at work when we see "oover" on the inventory sheet. :rolleyes: .................... :beer: mm

PeteY Aug 4th 2005 11:42 am

Originally Posted by hevs
OK!!

My Mum owns a grands worth of Kirby. My Dyson upright wasn't sucking properly, it was old and had seen us through a big reno and lets face it we all tend to suck up stuff we shouldn't..... So i was using the Kirby. It left the dog hairs on the carpet so....

We went to the shops and after me walking out to let HUP do some of his infamous bargaining :eek: we got a cylinder jobby this time. It has a turbo head on it (with a spinning brush) and its awesome and i like it better than the upright, although i have to empty it more.

We used it directly after using the Kirby and the dust that it pulled from the carpet was huge!!

After owning an LG washing machine i will NEVER EVER buy LG ever again, i cannot stress how shit that machine was.

As for other "bagless" hoovers, they are just that bagless. Dyson have patented the cyclone technology so nothing else gets near it. I am also asthmatic and hideously allergic to dust, the dyson gets it out and the cylinder one is great for all the Tazzie oak floors and tiles:) Best of all worlds.

Jesus am i boring or what :p :scared:

Ok Hevs me dear. You have permission to bring a load of washing over and watch in wonder as it goes round and round in our LG washing machine! You will be dazzled with the results. Whiter than white. Booootiful. No stinky socks though please.

Hardly normal (lol steandleigh :D) also have a Dyson cylinder on special, with a free turbo brush (so thats what it is hevs). All for $560. Good deal?

PeteY Aug 4th 2005 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Relentless marketing?.

Reminds me of somone on here. I said i wanted a landrover, and he said that the only people with any talent in the whole Landrover company were those in the marketing department. :)

hevs Aug 4th 2005 11:54 am

Originally Posted by PeteY
Ok Hevs me dear. You have permission to bring a load of washing over and watch in wonder as it goes round and round in our LG washing machine! You will be dazzled with the results. Whiter than white. Booootiful. No stinky socks though please.

Hardly normal (lol steandleigh :D) also have a Dyson cylinder on special, with a free turbo brush (so thats what it is hevs). All for $560. Good deal?

A bargin!! Get em to chuck in free cordless phone / answer phone and i reckon you topped Matts super deal:D

The LG top loader was shite. I looked at reviews for front loaders and the LG one got a slating for being rattly and bouncing around a lot :confused: My Samsung front loader is a dream i tell ya!! a dream :D

PeteY Aug 4th 2005 11:58 am

Originally Posted by hevs
A bargin!! Get em to chuck in free cordless phone / answer phone and i reckon you topped Matts super deal:D

The LG top loader was shite. I looked at reviews for front loaders and the LG one got a slating for being rattly and bouncing around a lot :confused: My Samsung front loader is a dream i tell ya!! a dream :D

My Lg frontie would eat your samsung frontie for breakfast!!!

Can't really believe im trying to pick a "whos washers best" fight! (even though its obvious i would win ;))

hevs Aug 4th 2005 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by PeteY
My Lg frontie would eat your samsung frontie for breakfast!!!

Can't really believe im trying to pick a "whos washers best" fight! (even though its obvious i would win ;))

I'm actually concerned you're delusional :eek: :eek:

Badge Aug 4th 2005 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by mr mover
Im surprised most "pommies "can spell VACUUM we always have a laugh at work when we see "oover" on the inventory sheet. :rolleyes: .................... :beer: mm

I've always called them a vacuum hoover, or a vacuum.

Never hoover.

Hevs we also have the cylinder dyson - no issues but I am dreading the day - had no idea they were apparently crap.

Badge

tiredwithtwins Aug 4th 2005 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Thanks mate - I appreciate your thoughts at this difficult time. I'm sorry I can't really talk - I'm having a bad hoover day.

Nicky

(Actually I'm having a bad plastering day, but that's something I'll not bore the forum with.....yet! )

ooooh,ooooh, if you need an EXCELLENT plasterer my other half is your man.
he's available evenings and weekends, barmitvahs......erm, no, maybe not bar mitvahs.......but he's darned good - too bloody good, i never see him!!!

did i mention he was good?

sue

Nicky & Dave Aug 4th 2005 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
ooooh,ooooh, if you need an EXCELLENT plasterer my other half is your man.
he's available evenings and weekends, barmitvahs......erm, no, maybe not bar mitvahs.......but he's darned good - too bloody good, i never see him!!!

did i mention he was good?

sue

As long as he get the damn stuff to stick to the wall, he'd be God as far as I'm concerned!

a)do you live near Wetherby and b) can he come round, like, right now. I've had it with b*****d DIY plastering. Mixed the stuff up and just went off for a little while to have a cup of tea and stuff - came back to find a bucket of rock-hard plaster. :o NOW I've got to go and buy new bag of plaster and a dog. Expensive day.

Nicky

tiredwithtwins Aug 4th 2005 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
As long as he get the damn stuff to stick to the wall, he'd be God as far as I'm concerned!

a)do you live near Wetherby and b) can he come round, like, right now. I've had it with b*****d DIY plastering. Mixed the stuff up and just went off for a little while to have a cup of tea and stuff - came back to find a bucket of rock-hard plaster. :o NOW I've got to go and buy new bag of plaster and a dog. Expensive day.

Nicky

lol.....what are you plastering? is it an emulsioned wall? if so, you need to give it a coat of pva glue...or scrape the paint off the wall. likewise if its artexed....... :(
and whatever you do, use it as soon as its mixed, cos whiel its warm, it sets within minutes!

Nicky & Dave Aug 4th 2005 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins

and whatever you do, use it as soon as its mixed, cos whiel its warm, it sets within minutes!

No s***!! :D Yep, I found that one out the hard way!! I'm just patching up at the moment but if it went well, I was going to attempt to do the hallway ceiling and a wall - HAH! Based on limited success so far, it's probably not a good idea. I've just phoned a nice man in Leeds, who is coming round at the weekend to give me a quote for the job. DIY plastering = BEEEG Mess!!!

I'm going to have a beer!!

Nicky

The A Team Aug 4th 2005 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by webgum
I've always steered clear of Dyson due mainly to their awful breakdown/reliability rate. They have always got a bad mark in Which magazine due to this.

I've got a Miele. With bag, good for dog fur! I think Miele was rated highly by my bible (Which) for reliability and good pickup. They aren't the cheapest but are cheaper than a Dyson. And I've seen them in most electrical stores in Perth.

Another thing - my hubby used to work for a company who managed landfill sites in the UK and up at the dumps the most frequently seen vacuum was...... a Dyson. So a lot of people were dumping their Dysons!

I have a Miele now.......much, much better than my old Dyson for pet hairs.

lucyb Aug 4th 2005 5:59 pm

We own a Sebo, the BMW of the hoover world. It was expensive but is hospital stregth and sucks EVERYTHING! :D

http://www.sebo.co.uk/Pages/x11auto.html

How SAD is that, I even found a link for you! :rolleyes: :o

tracey.d Aug 4th 2005 10:26 pm

Personally, I can't stand Dysons for several reasons, one of which is they are just plain ugly :o

We did have an upright once which always seemed to have something wrong with it. Once when it broke down my hubby took it to pieces to find out what was wrong with it but couldn't get it back together.

He then had the cheek to ring Dyson to tell them it was broke and they arranged to come and collect it. When they arrived it was in bits in a cardboard box and I didn't dare give them it, so I made my younger brother take it out :D .

I was in the house laughing my socks off, my brother wasn't too impressed though. The daftest thing is they actually took it, repaired it and brought it back in one piece. My husband used to have the cheek of the devil, but it goes to show that it works sometimes.

So, although I don't like Dysons their costomer service isn't too bad. I now have a cheapy little cylinder hoover that cost nme about £30